Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dry Suit Recommendation

OtherBoatisaCessna

OtherBoatisaCessna

Hi everyone, I am planning to buy a dry suit for an early-season rafting trip but I honestly know nothing about them.  I’ve typically done wetsuits for this kind of trip, but I’m just kinda sick of being too cold.  I figure I might as well buy a dry suit, and maybe that would open up a little more boating season, too, as that would likely end up being my primary use.  

I’m shaped like a brick, typically wear an XL.  What brands/models would you recommend and any tips on fitting and sizing?

thanks in advance

On 1/24/2023 at 7:53 AM, OtherBoatisaCessna said:

Hi everyone, I am planning to buy a dry suit for an early-season rafting trip but I honestly know nothing about them.  I’ve typically done wetsuits for this kind of trip, but I’m just kinda sick of being too cold.  I figure I might as well buy a dry suit, and maybe that would open up a little more boating season, too, as that would likely end up being my primary use.  

I’m shaped like a brick, typically wear an XL.  What brands/models would you recommend and any tips on fitting and sizing?

thanks in advance

I'm sure there are lots of good options.  As for Dry suits, I like the O'Neill Boost.  Main reason being is that when it's cold enough to have to wear a drysuit I prefer to have comfy warm cloths on in the boat, before and after my set.  Throw the Boost on over the cloths, when finished with set, take boost off, still have comfy warm cloths on. 

Otherwise when it's just chilly I'll go with a wetsuit or just a wetsuit/heater shirt top.   Also, you said you are "shaped like a brick"  the Boost fits this well as it's not fitted at all.  Until you jump in the water then it kinda suctions against your body a bit.

OtherBoatisaCessna

I’ve looked at the boost, and I can’t tell if the non-latex neck is a plus or minus, same for being footless or sock-less.  Foot-less is probably good for wakesurfing, but maybe not for other cold water stuff.  The neoprene neck is probably fine and overall more comfortable, but it’s not technically waterproof.  

14 hours ago, OtherBoatisaCessna said:

I’ve looked at the boost, and I can’t tell if the non-latex neck is a plus or minus, same for being footless or sock-less.  Foot-less is probably good for wakesurfing, but maybe not for other cold water stuff.  The neoprene neck is probably fine and overall more comfortable, but it’s not technically waterproof.  

If you are using the drysuit on a river you will definitely want to go full latex gaskets.  Kokatat makes the best river drysuit in my opinion.  I use mine both for rivers and wake surfing, I've had mine for at least 15 years and it's still in great shape.  I also have an O'Neil on the boat for others to use and it isn't fully waterproof.  The neoprene neck definitely wouldn't hold up to a swim in whitewater.  

• 2 weeks later...

wife just bought an oneill mens xs, dry suit. she luvs it, though we had to trim the neck 1 1/4” with a straight edge and trim knife as she felt choked with the mens neck length 

she did her longest chilly water surf ever and because not cold had a blast! she wore her thicker mountain thermals  Sunday  under and dried her hair snd what little got wet of the top with the heater hose, she went to water wearing that, surfed with suit and wore that home and to bed😂, pretty cool.  she wore her follow wake boat matching all weather hoody over it before but only the thermals snd heater hose after.  she was toast all day with our great custom heater

i bit pricey at $587 delivered, she couldnt find a same construction as mens hyperfreak 3/2 with pullover shoulders and no zipper which i think was over $400+++ for both men and women so the drysuit was really a much better deal .  she is now eager to go on chilly water days which for us is 61-68😂.  last sunday 68 air, 67-68’water. i think she will be game for colder now when i had to talk her in to going and often she would duck out when water lower than 63-65

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 2 months later...
MalibuNation
8 hours ago, elijah said:

If you're in the market for a dry suit, the O'Neill Hyperfreak 3/2mm Full Wetsuit is what you need. This suit is constructed from O'Neill's proprietary Technobutter neoprene, which is extremely soft, stretchy, and toasty. It has a Glide Skin neck seal, YKK zipper, and reinforced knees for a comfortable and secure fit. The Hyperfreak is ideal for surfing, diving, and any other watersport since it will keep you dry and toasty even in the worst conditions.

Is it a wetsuit or a drysuit?  3/2 doesn't sound too warm.

On 4/28/2023 at 6:36 AM, elijah said:

If you're in the market for a dry suit, the O'Neill Hyperfreak 3/2mm Full Wetsuit is what you need. This suit is constructed from O'Neill's proprietary Technobutter neoprene, which is extremely soft, stretchy, and toasty. It has a Glide Skin neck seal, YKK zipper, and reinforced knees for a comfortable and secure fit. The Hyperfreak is ideal for surfing, diving, and any other watersport since it will keep you dry and toasty even in the worst conditions.

That is not a dry suit.  Though I think the mods should check this profile, as it is the only post and was almost all copy/pasted from O'Neill's marketing...

On 4/28/2023 at 3:36 AM, elijah said:

AI has entered the chat…😂
Fwiw growing up here in Oregon surfing the cold water on the coast, rafting deschutes and klickitat rivers a couple times each season, and using the boat on the lakes and rivers in early season, I highly recommend a dry suit or wet suit that doesn’t have permanent booties installed.  I really like the ability to switch up booties based on the activity or go without for wake surfing to get better grip and control.  I’m usually tired and ready to quit before my feet go numb.

Edited by PNWoke