Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ford Super Duty Tow Hook options

REHinH20

My old F250 was "not great" for finding a space to fit my trailer safety chain hooks, but the 2022 is almost impossible.  I've looked at https://www.autohaulersupply.com/catalog/shackles-and-hammerlocks/12-inch-grade-80-alloy-coupler-black-2-pack-includes-usps-priority-shipping-554280.php  BUT, don't want them swinging from my truck when not towing.  Anyone else come up with a solution that they love?

I did hammerlocks like in the first post.  Obvs you aren't easily removing them.  it's fine... they work so well when towing (esp as opposed to my '14 F150's hitch which was super tight like @Hemmy's) that I don't mind them hanging on the hitch all the time.  

The GM hitch was also awful until just a few years ago.  Now they got it right.  It is mind boggling how a manufacturer could miss this design point on a tow truck that is one of their main profit centers.  

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

Why are these things so bad to use?? Do the engineers not use their designs?

Ford chain hookups have been goofy forever.  I had to hang coupler links off my 2002 and it doesn't look like they have improved.  One "easy" thing to do is to remove your hooks and just use a chain coupler for truck attachment.

11 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Several I know, including me, are using these.  I leave them on all the time and never hear them clanging around.  

AUTMATCH Shackles 3/4" D Ring... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N1B5MJB?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Those look like a decent idea for hooking safety chains to. 

They are hilarious as recovery points as pictured on the jeep in the ad.  Hang on guys I need to make sure I don't drop my washers and remove the clevis condom while hooking up the tow strap.

image.png.90d853e52fbeaaffdbd4501a33521b68.png

Edited by oldjeep
57 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Several I know, including me, are using these.  I leave them on all the time and never hear them clanging around.  

AUTMATCH Shackles 3/4" D Ring... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N1B5MJB?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Mind shooting a photo of them on the truck?  I'd like to visualize the size.

On 1/17/2023 at 1:38 PM, oldjeep said:

Those look like a decent idea for hooking safety chains to. 

They are hilarious as recovery points as pictured on the jeep in the ad.  Hang on guys I need to make sure I don't drop my washers and remove the clevis condom while hooking up the tow strap.

image.png.90d853e52fbeaaffdbd4501a33521b68.png

I got your recovery point right here.

Edited by Stevo

Lol yup, DMV cashed the check back in September, but tags never showed up, 

and FWIW I still don’t have a boat title from the state even though we bought back in August.

65C767D0-9513-46EE-A78B-BD963F509E34.gif

Edited by Stevo
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Stevo said:

Lol yup, DMV cashed the check back in September, but tags never showed up, 

and FWIW I still don’t have a boat title from the state even though we bought back in August.

65C767D0-9513-46EE-A78B-BD963F509E34.gif

That's incredible.  How is that even possible?