Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extended sunshades?

dalt1

I want to make my own extended shade from rear of standard Bimini to swim platform. Anyone here sourced the rear support poles or have suggestions? I would like them to telescope so if raining, can lower it to shed rain and get closer to seats to protect occupants better from side drips. The material needs to be black and prefer Sunbrella but am open for suggestions there too. I have access to commercial sewing.

• 1 month later...

So after waiting over a month on a lead for some material to come through, it did not work out! So I am asking  again, does anyone have an old black boat cover they no longer need that may want to get rid of it? It will be cut up to re purpose it for a sun shade. Looking to make something like this on the rear.image.thumb.png.ae4236c5008f72b74b128418b537159e.png

On 2/17/2023 at 9:18 PM, dalt1 said:

So after waiting over a month on a lead for some material to come through, it did not work out! So I am asking  again, does anyone have an old black boat cover they no longer need that may want to get rid of it? It will be cut up to re purpose it for a sun shade. Looking to make something like this on the rear.image.thumb.png.ae4236c5008f72b74b128418b537159e.png

You didn't order your new boat with sternshade?

12 hours ago, mxmark4 said:

You didn't order your new boat with sternshade?

I had it on order and canceled it. $800+ for a cover that won't stop any rain was not what I expected. I will make my own with upgraded material that can be used to shed rain or sun!

The one upside to factory ordering it is they reinforce where the poles go when you order stern shade. Other than that its just shade tarp. The good thing would be that you have a perfect pattern copy and make it from sunbrella fabric like the bimini top. Then sell the shade tarp top  on the moomba forum. The poles they supply are carbon fiber and really nice pieces. The Max I almost bought had it and I got to look over all the included parts/pieces. 

8 minutes ago, mxmark4 said:

The one upside to factory ordering it is they reinforce where the poles go when you order stern shade. Other than that its just shade tarp. The good thing would be that you have a perfect pattern copy and make it from sunbrella fabric like the bimini top. Then sell the shade tarp top  on the moomba forum. The poles they supply are carbon fiber and really nice pieces. The Max I almost bought had it and I got to look over all the included parts/pieces.

All good except I also want to be able to raise and lower the rear of it to protect better and shed rain better when lowered at the rear. Can't do that with the factory poles.

Agreed. They are nice though. I struggled with this idea also. But last year I broke the bimini on my Mondo and had to build a new one. If theres one near you the Metal Supermarket near me actually supplies Protomet/PTM. They had the correct stainless tubing in stock to build my bimini top and it was the correct wall thickness to make the original pieces fit inside and slide in and out. You could get some stainless and drill several detent spots to make it raise and lower. Interested to see what you come up with!