Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rev 8 with Icon 8?

NorCalSurfer

I have on order a 21 LX and the best tower speakers it comes with is a pair of Icon 8s. They sounded great surfing but I’m used to pair of Rev 10 on my current boat. I can add after the fact through the dealership a pair of Rev 8s that look the exact same. I was thinking to do the Revs for the longer sound distance. Does this logic or combo make sense?

You can, but its less then ideal for a couple reasons. The HLCD is going to dominate over the dome tweeter. In a perfect world, you would install a 2nd amp just for the new HLCD. Due to the difference in the cross-over and tweeters, the HLCD and coaxials will not play the same frequencies at the same amplitude. They will not share power equaly ike two identical drivers will, when wired together. 

I would just go with the larger 10" HLCD. See of you can do tower speaker delete, and install the setup post-build, if this option is not available from the factory.  

• Thanks 1

The main issue will be the DSP amp programming.  The amp will need to be programmed for the lower rated speaker pair.  You would be better off going with just the Rev8 speakers and an amp programmed for them instead of the Icon8 and Rev8 speakers.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the replies. I was a little worried about this as you both mentioned. I followed up with the dealership and basically they would go with an audio shop who will do whatever they are told to do vs. doing what is right. I think for the sake of simplicity, I go with two pairs of Icon 8. 

8 hours ago, csleaver said:

The amp will need to be programmed for the lower rated speaker pair. 

While this is acurate when mixing types and sizes, even with amps with traditional tuning dials/knobs, the amp is already tuned for them, as its coming off the showroom floor with the 8" coaxial. So the reality is, no reprogramming would "need" to be done. However, these OEM DSP amps are throttled back as it is, so there would be room to open up the govenor and gain some output, IF you could find a shop that can write a new tune and load it. 

Yep, if the boat comes with Icon8 tower speakers, the amp would not need to be reprogrammed if a second pair of Icon8 speakers are added.  It would only need to be reprogrammed if the Icon8 speakers were replaced with Rev8 or Rev10 speakers.

• Thanks 1