Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trick skiing looks fun - should I get one?

CaptainMorgan

Rhetorical question - of course I should buy more boat toys!

Figured it may be a fun xmas present for me and my boys (12 and 14 by next summer) but I know nothing beyond watching a couple YouTube videos.

Looks like commonly done behind a ski boat, but anyone do it behind an A24 or other wake boat? Pros/cons?  Speed? Ballast? Rope length?  

Id appreciate any suggestions on a decent beginner setup that could work for me 6ft/170 lbs and kids who are 5ft/90 lbs but growing fast.

I've used my trick ski behind my '04 LSV. It's certainly not a newer A24, but with adjust rope length I was able to find a nice flat table for turns behind the boat, and the bigger wake is way more fun than my direct drive wake. I think I went down to 32 off, maybe 35. Speed for me is usually around 18, my wife around 17. No ballast. Tons of fun.

• Like 1

I think the only problem you might run into is getting a clean wake at such slow speeds. I’m not familiar with the new a24 so might be fine but generally harder with larger boats.

My first time on a trick ski at age 20 and I was laughing like a chipmunk it's so squirrelly (modern ones are a little better).

The wakeboarding learning curve is definitely easier, and unless you're in a 3 event tournament pulled by a direct drive, big air is more fun than technical precision.

The exception being if you + your kids are gymnasts and love technical precision.

The kids would be fine learning on the 43"er.  If they were competing I'd go smaller but bigger is better for learning.  You want either a Wiley's trick wrap binding on it or a hardshell setup like a reflex or an HO syndicate set up.  You can share skis if everyone is the same foot forward but you will need separate skis if you have both LLF and RFF skier.  Call Wiley's and talk to Darren for set up options.  You don't need much of a wake and I'd run no ballast with a big boat.     

I run 21-22 mph on a 43"er (but I'm heavy) and can slow down to 15 on the 54"er.  15 hurts a lot less when you catch an edge.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, smileysteve said:

My first time on a trick ski at age 20 and I was laughing like a chipmunk it's so squirrelly (modern ones are a little better).

The wakeboarding learning curve is definitely easier, and unless you're in a 3 event tournament pulled by a direct drive, big air is more fun than technical precision.

The exception being if you + your kids are gymnasts and love technical precision.

Ironically my son is a serious gymnast and could probably flip and twist like a boss if he wanted...but so far doesnt really care about progressing in watersports- happy to tube all day.  I keep buying new stuff wondering/hoping he will catch the bug...and then they become toys for me :)

Im thinking purely fun behind the boat, no competition.  Last year got a wake skate and that was a fun novelty we all tried and falls were way less painful ful than the wakeboard. 

Not sure why but I'm also curious to try jumping wake facing forward on a ski vs sideways on the wakeboard. Goal is mostly variety/fun. Appreciate folks suggestions 

15 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

I'm also curious to try jumping wake facing forward on a ski vs sideways on the wakeboard.

You don't really feel like you are standing straight, like a competition slalom ski, it doesn't "go straight".

The most likely outcome is that trying to jump will teach you a lot about hydrodynamics and make you better at wakeboarding. On a wakeboard many beginners rely on the wake and speed for air - a trick ski lacks the fins and shape, so you have to push into the water for it to push back.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:49 AM, CaptainMorgan said:

Rhetorical question - of course I should buy more boat toys!

Figured it may be a fun xmas present for me and my boys (12 and 14 by next summer) but I know nothing beyond watching a couple YouTube videos.

Looks like commonly done behind a ski boat, but anyone do it behind an A24 or other wake boat? Pros/cons?  Speed? Ballast? Rope length?  

Id appreciate any suggestions on a decent beginner setup that could work for me 6ft/170 lbs and kids who are 5ft/90 lbs but growing fast.

get a pair first, just like skis one is a single with a back foot toe hold

• Like 2
On 12/9/2022 at 8:57 PM, jjackkrash said:

Just for grins:

yea Neilly is a stone cold badass, i can’t help but watch every post she makes, and what  a physical specimin 

• 2 weeks later...

Trick skiing is a lot harder than wakeboarding. I can ski backwards all day on two. I can just ride and do some baby wake jumps on one. Took me a while just to get up. Wakeboarding is 10 times easier. It is fun! but the reason. you don 't see it much is because it's too hard I think. 

16 hours ago, toddthelineman said:

Trick skiing is a lot harder than wakeboarding. I can ski backwards all day on two. I can just ride and do some baby wake jumps on one. Took me a while just to get up. Wakeboarding is 10 times easier. It is fun! but the reason. you don 't see it much is because it's too hard I think. 

"Easy" is definitely in these days. That is why surfing and tubing are so popular. IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...