Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Factory FAE Install

Rafferty

Hello Crew! 2017 23lsv with the factory turned down exhaust tip. I ordered the factory FAE and was told I needed the exhaust hose and coupler. I disassembled and found I already had the hose. Everything bolted up with no problem. The parts person says I need the coupler installed but cannot see any reason why. Anyone have any experience with this?

Surf pipe install I have done on a 2017 Malibu 25LSV required replacement if the original inline metal exhaust baffle tube with a new non-baffled straight tube to prevent excessive exhaust back pressure.  The rubber exhaust hose was also replaced due to a slight difference in length from the original exhaust baffle and the replacement tube.  The fiberglass hole in the transom had to be enlarged slightly for the surf pipe to be installed as well.

1 minute ago, csleaver said:

Surf pipe install I have done on a 2017 Malibu 25LSV required replacement if the original inline metal exhaust baffle tube with a new non-baffled straight tube to prevent excessive exhaust back pressure.  The rubber exhaust hose was also replaced due to a slight difference in length from the original exhaust baffle and the replacement tube.  The fiberglass hole in the transom had to be enlarged slightly for the surf pipe to be installed as well.

Oh, that makes more sense. I will have to check.

Like csleaver said, the original coupler is actually a muffler and you want to remove that and add the straight through piece.

I just purchased a factory surf for my 2017 and am going to install it coming up.  I bought the straight through coupler, but I wanted to get in their and see if I really needed a new hose piece before I bought it.  

• 4 months later...

Just a follow up on this for anybody searching in the future.   I was able to install the surf pipe using the existing exhaust hose.  I purchased the muffler delete metal coupling and used the existing hose on it.   The muffler was smaller in length than the new coupler, so I had to slide my existing exhaust hose further on.