Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Refinishing Original Teak Swim Platform – Glue or not to Glue

Hello Malibu Crew

I have a 95 Response recently bought at the end of season.  Would like to start refinishing the original teak swim platform.  I suspect the previous owner may have let this go several years without regular maintenance.  Its very gray, checking on some planks and very rough along some of the edges. But no structural damage. Looks like rough sanding and routering edges followed by oiling should bring this back to a near new appearance.  I’ve started some sanding now.

My question is regarding gluing.  I see this platform was assembled without glue – just approx (60) #8 stainless screws holding it together.  The screws were counter-sunk excessively deep causing some tear-out when trying to remove these. 

I would like to use West Systems epoxy to repair some checks and clean up some gouges.

But what are some opinions out there regarding gluing the entire assembly back together with West System? Or any other type of Glue? 

Was there a specific reason why Malibu only screwed these units together?

Anyone out there with feedback & experience with re-assembling / restoring these using glue?

Thanks

Hutch

There are several threads on teak platform rehabs, here and on other forums.  The improvement will be amazing, take your time and do it correctly.  Be very cautious on what teak oil you use, you do not want to leave the surface slippery, sticky or oily to where it contaminates the ski when placed on the platform.  I added a 'ski bumper' to my platform, basically a narrow strip attached to the top of the platform right at the transom that will keep a ski from banging off the back of the boat.  It was a very good addition, I don't have to think much about banging the transom on my boat and I do when behind my buddy's boat.  Saves a lot of buffing out the transom and stiffens the platform (do you still have the center platform tab on the transom?  They tend to be knocked off over time).  Just a note, teak platforms require some TLC to keep looking great.

Just do a deep sanding with a palm sander, and finish with Starbrite oil you will be amazed at the results.  As others have mentioned, I wouldn't glue.

Thanks for the feedback Crew!

Woodski - Yes that small tab is still on the transom.  I may consider the ski bumper piece you mention, I've seen this referenced in other threads. Is this piece typically teak to match the platform?

Regarding glue - I haven't seen glue mentioned in any of the numerous threads here or in other boat forums. So I'm assuming its for a reason.  Thus I'll probably not use any glue; may just use larger #10 screws.

Thanks

Hutch

You could potentially use some SeaDeck, run a thin strip on the transom itself.  You'd want to have it routered so it looks nice.  Just an idea.

Just put the first coat of Danish sealer on my platform tonight.  2nd coat in 8-12 hours.  I took mine completely apart and ran the boards through my planer.  The Teak Wood is absolutely beautiful.  I ran the bottom side of the wood first and barely made a cut just to have a flat surface, then a couple of passes on the tops just barely cutting.  I numbered everything before I took it apart, and used Titebond II for reassembly.  On the ends I cut maybe an eighth of an inch off to clean up the edges.  A light sanding after assembly and then the Danish sealer.

I used gorilla glue when I reassembled the platform on my 01 ss lxi.  Clamped well and screwed.  Made the platform so much more rigid, and it has held tight for four years now.  The concern with gluing like others have said is the natural oils in the wood, but after 20 years mine was pretty dried out!  

Thanks for the feedback crew!

Maybe hmh800 has the reason why these platforms were manufactured without glue - new un-weathered teak with its high oil content may not glue well. The manufacturer may simply chose to forfeit glue for this reason. Some cost & time savings.

I picked up some new teak last week and will use this just to replace the underside support cross-member pieces.  I just figure new wood here & #10 screws will make for a more rigid platform when finished.

Regarding glue - I'll probably hold off and see how well the re-construction holds up after next season. 

Also will use the Starbright 3 part product - this has good to very good reviews on just about every forum I have read. I haven't read any disappointing feedback for this product.

Thanks

Hutch