Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Malibu Wakesetter VLX Rebuild

3 hours ago, Mb911 said:

Why not gel below the waterline?

If you are referring to gelcoating rather than using awlgrip...

I have heard great things about awlgrip, a friend painted his ocean fishing boat with it and the stuff is solid. I also think it will be much easier doing the entire hull in one form of material.

57 minutes ago, barch said:

If you are referring to gelcoating rather than using awlgrip...

I have heard great things about awlgrip, a friend painted his ocean fishing boat with it and the stuff is solid. I also think it will be much easier doing the entire hull in one form of material.

I think Awlgrip is a great idea.  I had a Glastron with an Awlgrip clear coat and it was great.

The main problem with spraying gel coat is that you spray on a gallon of it and then sand most of it off to get a smooth finish.  A lot of work goes into it to make it look nice.  If you can get everything clean, you should be able to get Awlgrip to lay down and look great without much work after the spray job.

The boat is coming along nicely!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks great! I doubt you have the skills, but you should attempt to build a suck gate. Quick easy way to vastly improve the surf wave. Until you add real surf gates that is. Impressive work. :salute:

On 11/10/2023 at 7:06 PM, barch said:

Gave the swim step new life...sanded with orbital sander and 400 grit then coated with teak oil

I recommend wet sanding with 60-80 grit because that 400 will make it feel really nice and smooth, but when it gets wet it'll be slick enough to slip and fall.  But man, what a great job on the project!!