Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Malibu Wakesetter VLX Rebuild

I recently acquired a 2001 Malibu Wakesetter VLX 21'. It needs extensive work. Previous owner ran the boat on shore destroying the fiberglass hull in multiple spots...

- Tracking fins are gone

-Prop shaft is gouged and assuming bent

-Prop strut bent to a 20 degree angle

-Prop destroyed

-Rudder bent beyond repairable status

Otherwise the boat is in great condition. Some wear on the interior but all salvageable. I got a great deal on this boat and what better boat to restore and bring to its former glory than a Malibu! I got this boat from a website called copart.com (they deal with insurance salvaged vehicles) With these models fetching close to 25k on the used market I'll say that I got this puppy for about 20k less than that :thumbup:  After buying and modifying a trailer from Offerup to fit a v-drive boat, paying all fees for purchase, and repair estimate by doing all the work myself I'm shooting to keep this project under 11k all in. If I can do that, not bad for a boat I'll love and cherish for the years to come of skiing, wakeboarding, surfing, barefooting and soaking up the cosmic rays of mother nature.

2001 Malibe Wakesetter VLX hull damage prop and rudder destroyed Edited by barch
add photos
  • Like 2

Finally got the rudder out today...was an absolute PITA. Not only was the rudder post bent so it wouldn't drop from the housing but the housing is bent as well as the hardware that bolts it all together. Should have been a easy job...it wasn't.

Any idea if I can use any rudder from malibuparts.com as long as it is the correct square housing mount? I understand the counter weighted tiller arms are beneficial to reduce vibration but I figure the boat didn't have one in the first place so should be alright replacing it with the standard rudder and box available.

Bent rudder and housing

Anyone know if this rudder from malibuparts.com will work?

https://www.malibuparts.com/products/under-water-gear-rudder-3411022?_pos=4&_sid=e344bab7b&_ss=r

Also, new/used prop arrived (minor denting along the edges) and new strut arrived!

I don't see anything that won't just buff out....

I think I would pull the engine and transmission to make things a little easier overall.  First, it allows you to inspect the motor mounts and ensure that you have a solid foundation for your years of future use.  Second, it will make fixing the fiberglass damage much easier to accomplish.  Get all the glass as good as you can get it inside and out, then maybe glass in a big ol' sheet of roving that covers the whole bilge from the transom to at least a foot forward of the strut.  You could drape it up the sides of the stringers as well to tie it all together.

Looking at it a second time, the strut area will need even more new glass since it looks like it punched through the hull on its aft end.  Note how the prop got high enough to gnaw into the glass above it.

You'll be really good at fiberglass repair by the time you get it done!

• Like 2

Spoke with a friend today who is a expert in fiberglass. From the looks of the fiberglass on the forward starboard section...it did splinter some glass at the drivers feet area... will pull up carpet and lay a section on the interior before layering externally. As for the engine compartment there is no indication of glasswork poking through at the rudder, strut, nor log. I do believe it flexed a lot though because it partially 'popped' the support member that runs port to starboard just aft of the rear engine mounts but forward of the rudder. I will reglass the support member into the hull and lay another heavy mat on top of the strut area for strength before layering up underneath (all splintering from underside will be ground out prior to any glasswork). Hard part is going to be getting a good mount for the strut flat and equal to oem spec.

***Is there any reason I should not use this rudder?

https://www.malibuparts.com/products/under-water-gear-rudder-3411022?_pos=4&_sid=e344bab7b&_ss=r

It says for Axis 2011+ but if the housing, mounting flange, shape/size of rudder, and tiller arm are all similar or equal spec to the rudder I am replacing why wouldn't I???

That looks like it should work. When I replaced mine, I got it from marine hardware.com. Called them and they hooked me up with the correct one. It was around $400 if I remember correctly. 

Was not able to simply unbolt the prop shaft coupler to remove the shaft. Had to cut it. Looks like when the prop stopped spinning on land the engine kept running...the coupler spun until it bored itself out around the nut and could not fit a socket over the nut. 1.5 hours and 5 blades later and its out!!

Access to the shaft was best on the starboard side inside the rear compartment. Blade in reciprocating saw upside down to fit the tool in the tight space

IMG_3321 IMG_3326 IMG_3325

Went ahead and ordered the Axis rudder... Apparently even Marine Hardware doesn't make the original 'V-DRIVE' rudder, only the 'V-DRIVE 2'. Quotes for the 'V-DRIVE 2' are in the $1100 range so hoping the Axis rudder works...it looks very similar to the original.

Activewake.com was very helpful and even measured the Axis rudder for me that they had on stock...went ahead and ordered through them for $430. Part number SKU: 3411022

• Like 3

2011 axis rudder came in the mail and it will work on 2001 wakesetter. Rudder box is exact same, rudder is very similar in size/shape... tiller arm is correct side, however, axis uses a longer arm. Simple fix will be to drill new steering cable mount hole on the arm. Will post pics when I do this.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks good so far.

No need to get resin tacky before laying the cloth on.  Fresh resin is plenty sticky.

I would probably add a layer of 24 ounce woven roving to your patch on the inside, and overlap it at least six or eight inches onto the existing hull material.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Planning on getting some more glass work done this weekend once the Southern California rain stops. The through bolt tracking fins were ripped from the hull and I am wanting to go to the newer lag bolt style fin rather than pulling up all the upholstery and carpet and fuel tank...does anyone have knowledge in if the hull was reinforced for the newer lag bolt fins?

• 2 months later...

Got a lot of work done over the last few weeks...finished the glass work and sanded it as smooth as could be before applying fairing compound.

Fiberglass cloth going on...about 6 layers of very thick cloth

IMG_4231 IMG_4235 IMG_4238 IMG_4239

Below is the Rubber Isolator (or so I believe it is...its a large chunk of rubber fiberglassed under the engine directly above the props rotation...believe it to be a dampening piece) In order to do this part I fully wrapped the engine in ceran wrap to prevent as much fiberglass dust on the engine. Cut it out and got rid of all the delaminated glass with a angle grinder (very tough in such a tight area) then gooped up some resin with shredded fiberglass and slapped the bad boy in there. Then glassed two thick layers over it.

IMG_4267

Purchased fairing compound from Total Boat on Amazon and its been good. Easy filler to use similar to bondo but meant for marine applications.

Probably 2 more days of application and sanding to fill in all the low spots and get it near perfect. Plan then is to use Awlgrip primer and paint to respray everything below the rub rail.

IMG_4309 IMG_4310 IMG_4348 IMG_4347 Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 3.48.36 PM

Edited by barch
  • Like 3