Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Audio Help - Speakers Cut out Completely (I think its an amp issue)

MustGoFast

I have the Icon 8 - 2 pair speaker set up that came with my '18 Axis T22 (also the "stero option pack 2" if that's helpful)

Halfway through the season my speakers (ALL OF THEM tower and in boat) would just cut out no audio at all.  This would often come back later if I tried again nad then I noticed sometimes it was a bump/wave that caused the cut out and return.  It went form occasional to no stereo.  I had my local take a look as audio is NOT my area of knowledge.  He said there was a bad connection on my amp (I assume not power as the lights are still on) that he crank'd down and that made everything work for a little bit again (month) then no speakers again.  he said it may just be the amp went kapoot as well....

Anyone heard of this type of issue before and have any suggestions?  Wanted to get an outside thought on what might be wrong.  Also curious if I have to replace my sub what would someone w/ more knowledge in this are than me recommend?  Figured might be a good time to go shopping with black friday and offseason around the corner.

Check all connections associated with the stereo black box, amplifiers, speakers, and batteries.  It is difficult to isolate the speaker output or black box inputs on newer amplifiers with DSL plugs.  A single faulty speaker or shorted wire can prevent an amplifier from working, but a faulty input will prevent a working amplifier from making sound through a working speaker. 

If the issue is consistent, the amplifiers may flash a series of blue/red codes which you can look up in the Wetsounds owner manual to help find the problem.

Eliminating one speaker at a time may be a way to determine if a faulty voice coil is causing an amplifier problem.  Otherwise, you may be able to narrow the issue down to the amplifiers or black box at that point.

Replacement Amplifiers will need to be OEM and programmed from Malibu, unless you want to do a bunch of wiring modifications.  Same goes for the Medallion stereo controller (the black box).

Sometimes taking it to a dealer that is capable of doing some quick component swaps for testing is the easiest way to go.

Edited by csleaver
2 hours ago, csleaver said:

Check all connections associated with the stereo black box, amplifiers, speakers, and batteries.  It is difficult to isolate the speaker output or black box inputs on newer amplifiers with DSL plugs.  A single faulty speaker or shorted wire can prevent an amplifier from working, but a faulty input will prevent a working amplifier from making sound through a working speaker. 

If the issue is consistent, the amplifiers may flash a series of blue/red codes which you can look up in the Wetsounds owner manual to help find the problem.

Eliminating one speaker at a time may be a way to determine if a faulty voice coil is causing an amplifier problem.  Otherwise, you may be able to narrow the issue down to the amplifiers or black box at that point.

Replacement Amplifiers will need to be OEM and programmed from Malibu, unless you want to do a bunch of wiring modifications.  Same goes for the Medallion stereo controller (the black box).

Sometimes taking it to a dealer that is capable of doing some quick component swaps for testing is the easiest way to go.

********Really?  You can't just swap a "standard marine amp" in for the OEM unit?  I was hoping for maybe an upgrade out of the deal.  The reason I ask here is our Malibu dealer locally for 40years was dropped by Malibu about 18months ago so I don't have a ton of support on that side either now.

On 2017 and newer Malibu and Axis boats, the DSL wetsounds amps are pre-programmed and have no adjustments.  If you want to replace them with adjustable amps, the wiring will not just plug in and will need to be modified.  There is a bunch of info about people modifying the wiring for different amps on this site.

Edited by csleaver
2 minutes ago, csleaver said:

On 2017 and newer Malibu and Axis boats, the DSL wetsounds amps are pre-programmed and have no adjustments.  If you want to replace them with adjustable amps, the wiring will not just plug in and will need to be modified.  There is a bunch of info about people modifying the wiring for different amps on this site.

Ok, as noted I don't know much about audio so the little bit I read flew over my head.

More than half the stereo problems I see are bad connections or low voltage.  Check every plug, cable, and wire from the batteries, battery switch, ground cables, inline fuse holders, and everything behind the amp mounting board first.  Pull on and shake the wires and cables to see if something comes loose.

Edited by csleaver

Since the boat has two amps, one for tower and one for cabin/woofer, and ALL the speakers stop flaying, then "a bad amp" has been eliminated. Now, if there is no woofer, then the 2nd amp could just be the internal amp inside the media unit, but its an amp none the less. Since the amps' badge/power light is still illuminated when the speakers stop plying, then this indicates there is still voltage to the main power cables and the turn-on terminal. Could be low system voltage though.