Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Navy vinyl discoloration

The vinyl on the back compartment covers is really discolored.  It gets worse over time.  The inside was perfect when we bought it 3 years ago.  The previous owner hardly ever used the boat.  It looks like the navy color has been lifted and it almost looks white in some areas. The cream area has darkened a bit.   Could it be sunscreen?  Could it be the boat cover?  We have the original boat cover.  I have read about the boat cover causing discoloration.  The area that has discoloration is the only part where the cover touches the vinyl.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  

This is a 2010 correct? The rear hatch covers being high traffic are something you just have to live with unfortunately. I had the lighter colors in my 2010. Light graphite (lt grey) and moonbeam (cream) you talk about. The lighter colors will get dirtier over time and harder to keep looking good and the darker colors do fade. I had light colored panels in my upholstery, when new, that were noticeably different in color. They also faded slightly different. IME, any lotions with bronzers were terribly hard to clean off. For me, the Ban de Sole products were death on lawn furniture. I think you are primarily dealing with old vinyl. The covers are/were known to be an issue back there. I always created standoff between the two the few times I stored it outside to prevent the stain. It always went away though so I got lucky in that regard. Prevention, given the age is going to be tough. Any topical treatment you use to prevent stains will most likely just accelerate the aging process. Your biggest challenge looking forward will most likely be the vinyl cracking. I started to see that @ 6 years in on my 2010, but I had a lot of hours 800ish, on mine by that point. Sorry that wasn’t much help I imagine.