Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 25 LSV Trailer Inspection Texas?

4mc

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Out of curiosity - what are they inspecting?  Do they also do some sort of motor vehicle inspections in TX?

we 100% have automobile inspections.  Basic function checks along with an OBDII scan (mostly to check for un-set emission sensors).  The guy i take it to checks the mfgr tag (maybe for GRVW), a general visual inspection as well as a light check.  He sees that its a surge brake system so he doesnt do a brake test.

@4mc the place i use is in Lewisville (corner of 35E and Fox Ave.  You can call a trailer reseller near you and they should hopefully be able to point you in the right direction.  Same with calling a auto shop that does car inspections.

3 minutes ago, Texan32 said:

we 100% have automobile inspections.  Basic function checks along with an OBDII scan (mostly to check for un-set emission sensors).  The guy i take it to checks the mfgr tag (maybe for GRVW), a general visual inspection as well as a light check.  He sees that its a surge brake system so he doesnt do a brake test.

@4mc the place i use is in Lewisville (corner of 35E and Fox Ave.  You can call a trailer reseller near you and they should hopefully be able to point you in the right direction.  Same with calling a auto shop that does car inspections.

Interesting. Here in MN you could register a vehicle that doesn't exist any more and buy tabs every year, as long as you have a title to transfer.  Good to live in the free state of MN :rofl:

Edited by oldjeep

Florida dropped auto inspections somewhere around 1980 because they realized that somebody could find a guy to pass the car if it could be driven to them. 

I remember the boss telling me (around 1977 or so) to take the 1966 Fairlane for inspection and I asked how it could possibly pass with the bad brakes and funky headlights.  He said, "take it" as he handed me cash for the inspection.  The guy drove it the two feet onto the brake tester, hit the brakes, got out, moved the headlamp tester in front of the lights, then nudged one with his hand as he said, "yer good."  I shook my head because I was basically afraid to drive that car.

I am really glad we don't have to do any of that anymore.