Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is today's go-to dry suit?

Nitrousbird

I did some searching, but most of the threads are pretty old at this point.  I have to replace my wetsuit, so I figured I should finally take the plunge and get a dry suit.  What should I buy?  6'3", 218lbs (boy, I need to work on that last number - WFH did it to me).  Something with quality seals and not a nightmare to get in/out of would be a big plus.

On 9/24/2022 at 6:51 AM, T-Roc said:

O’Neill Boost: super comfy with lots of room for under layer 

0630F1E0-0A5F-45E7-ACF6-A8DB71853788.jpeg

:plus1:
Completely agree. I have had both an OS dry suit and an O’Neill Boost for about 20 years. The OS was less expensive but while it is now still usable , it will need a gasket replaced soon and needs more maintenance. The Boost still looks brand new and needs less maintenance.

For slalom I like my O’Neill Throttle, it’s a neoprene dry suit.  For Barefooting, a baggy is good to go over the barefoot suit.  Lots of posts on a Camaro being as warm as a dry suit, I use the HO syndicate version and it is great although not easy to squish in to it.

• 1 month later...

Bakes has 20% off everything this weekend.  Including wetsuits.  

I have enjoyed my Boost drysuit, but the guy who did the last seal replacement was a hack.  Although they don't leak, the seals are too tight, and are probably going to dry rot already because I got them from Amazon, and simply don't seem to have the same quality of rubber.   Only thing I do not like about the Boost is that I mostly ride my Air Chair these days and the baggy drysuit tends to encourage some sliding around on the seat.  

I am looking at a decent wetsuit as a backup for when this fails.  My current wetsuit is 22 years old and hardly has any stretch.  The initial 60 seconds are pretty uncomfortable as cold water runs down the back and through every seam.   A few people I have talked to say that the new wetsuits are so much more stretchy and snug tight to the body, that the initial shock is not nearly as bad as it used to be.  Am I way off thinking a new wetsuit would be a good thing to have?  Or should I just bite the bullet and get a new Boost, or try the O'neill Fluid drysuit?  

Edited by TallRedRider

Agree on the new Wetsuits. I am using a 5/4 here in Texas and the water temps can get to 30s occasionally but typically high 40, low 50. I have used a drysuit for years and my Oneils have lasted several years. Since adding a warm shower to my boat this past year, we find that the wetsuit works just fine especially if have a shower which helps.   The original dry suits were not baggy and super warm, the baggy ones you have to wear something warm underneath especially for the upper body. I guess my point is the wet suits are super snug and have been more than warm enough with the wetsuits with the right thickness.  Good luck, but something to consider... if the guys who ocean surf where wetsuits then a good indication they keep you warm since they tend to be in the water most of the time.

I tried one of the neoprene dry suits, it was awesome. Similar feel to a wetsuit but totally dry (no cold water down the back).  I’d have one if I didn’t have to share the boost suit with the wife.  @ahopkinsVTX and I talked about how much better the newer wetsuits are. Mine leaks like crazy but I think he said his was fairly dry. He might be able to point you in the right direction. 

ahopkins22LSV
55 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

I tried one of the neoprene dry suits, it was awesome. Similar feel to a wetsuit but totally dry (no cold water down the back).  I’d have one if I didn’t have to share the boost suit with the wife.  @ahopkinsVTX and I talked about how much better the newer wetsuits are. Mine leaks like crazy but I think he said his was fairly dry. He might be able to point you in the right direction. 

Yeah my XCEL full wet suit is crazy good. I still wear my boost drysuit, but can easily use my wetsuit down into 50 degree water. I think mine is just the 2/3mm too. They make thicker ones.