Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tools or Tool kit in your boat

dielawn

Hey Team,

I was curious if you guys have a simple tool kit that you purchased that you keep on your boat for basic repairs or maybe you have a small tool bag with very specific tools in it for repairs. If so, what tools are you keeping on your boat at all time?

I carry a bag with some of the following:

• Kobalt toolset with sockets, allen keys, screw driver
  • Dive Knife
  • Goggles
  • Spare Impeller
  • Impeller puller
  • Pliers
  • Adjustable wrench
  • Zip ties
  • Fuses
  • Electrical tape
  • Like 2

I have a pelican case with a small laptop and diacom cables, not really needed any more since I got the firmware upgrade from indmar that fixed the random misfire errors.  Small socket set- never used.  Spare impeller - never used And the most important thing - spare prop and the wrench/puller to change it - used almost yearly.

For emergencies I carry a caliper and wing-angle tools to prove my fin or wing moved and its really not my bad skiing at fault.  And I carry a Leatherman multitool to get to the rope out of the prop even though that would never, ever happen to me.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Haha 3

These threads are always good and offer reminders and tips for items to have.  The reality is more like simply having a tow rope on board to pull the stricken boat back to shore.  That and nobody keeps an extra 5 gallons somewhere as that is the primary reason a boat quits moving.

33 minutes ago, Woodski said:

These threads are always good and offer reminders and tips for items to have.  The reality is more like simply having a tow rope on board to pull the stricken boat back to shore.  That and nobody keeps an extra 5 gallons somewhere as that is the primary reason a boat quits moving.

Beat me to it. In the last 5-8 years new technology has stranded more boats than driver error. :horse:

We went to bull shoals

I have:

Cheap socket set..never used

Impeller

BREAKER BAR TO WORK BELT TENSIONER.

I robbed my shop tool set and took good metric/sae sockets, wrenches spare sparkplug, wires, both types fuel filters filter wrenches..Basically everything I use to winterize. Also a noco genius 150(awesome btw).

Needed a lot of the above.

Bolt holding tensioner bracket broke..left us DITW. Drained ballast waited for motor to cool down. Limped back to house boat about 400yds limping at 5mph temp got back to 212 but didn't go higher. Went into town on a wild goose chase. 7 stops later found a 10mm 1.5(I think) by 80mm bolt..got 2..put it all back together and click. Hydrolock. (Still had ramfill full and 1000 lead) relayed lead to houseboat..Pulled plugs turned motor over reinstalled plugs then surfed for 3 hrs. Checked the oil after surfing and it is crystal clear. Will change it when I winterize. Dinged the prop at the ramp trying to avoid 1st time boaters with their 17ft Bagliner tied up at the end of the courtesy ramp. Oh well. Had a great time tho.

Pretty complete lists above but I always have a 6in1 screwdriver that works as a nut driver for hose clamps, a flashlight, and 2 band-aids to cover your bloody knuckle so you don't bleed all over the freshly reupholstered seats. 

53 minutes ago, INCOPPNITO said:

Pretty complete lists above but I always have a 6in1 screwdriver that works as a nut driver for hose clamps, a flashlight, and 2 band-aids to cover your bloody knuckle so you don't bleed all over the freshly reupholstered seats. 

Yeah, me too.  First aid kit, flashlight, lighter are always on the boat.  Multi-driver screwdriver is the #1 tool used on the boat, and it just hangs out in the bottom of the glove box, always.  I also keep a small nut driver set, a couple of adjustable wrenches, and a weekend saver kit with spare prop, prop puller, and a hammer.   All of that stuff fits nicely into the Acme weekend saver bag and as a bonus acts as additional ballast haha.

Remember the old "Robo-grip" Bob Villa craftsman vice grips? Those are really nice in an emergency too.  

Edited by rennis

Living on a small lake, I basically have nothing in the boat now sans a multi-driver and a channel locks in the glovebox.  The phone's the most important one to get a tow back to the dock if needed.   The one time I forgot the phone, my impeller spun on the hub, and I paddled back in with a trick ski......

I suppose the spare prop and puller are in there too, but mostly because it's a convenient place to keep it so I know where it is.

I have a Leatherman tool, some ty-raps, electric tape, and a shoestring in the glove box. Only one I ever used was the shoestring. Paddles are convenient too.