Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine misfiring and alarming

Loshie1056

I have a 2003 Sunsetter, 21 LSV with a 335 Monsoon. I posted earlier on an issue I had with poor engine performance and got some good feedback, which I incorporated but now have a new problem. Previously the issue was low power under full throttle, but tended to improve after a while and then seemed fine, until I brought it back to idle then full throttle which was poor power again. The recommendations were to change plugs, rotor, distributer cap and flame arrestor, which were all done. I took it back out on the lake for a shake down and the low end lagging under full throttle was solved and it ran really well for a few minutes but then started miss-firing and alarming. I got a recommendation from Indmar to swap out the ignition module, which I did; took it out today and under low throttle, miss-firing and alarming remained. Thoughts, suggestions, other than taking it to someone who can put a reader and pull some codes, assuming there will be some. 

Is it back firing through the intake or just missing?  It would be great to get the codes off the motor.  If it's just missing, I'm wondering if you've got a fuel delivery issue.  Have you swapped/changed fuel filters?  

11 hours ago, martinarcher said:

Is it back firing through the intake or just missing?  It would be great to get the codes off the motor.  If it's just missing, I'm wondering if you've got a fuel delivery issue.  Have you swapped/changed fuel filters?  

Thanks for the response. It doesn't seem to be back firing through the intake. It is just missing and as soon as it miss-fires it alarms. I haven't changed out the fuel filter but I have good pressure to the injector manifold so I initially ruled that out. 

1 hour ago, Loshie1056 said:

I haven't changed out the fuel filter but I have good pressure to the injector manifold so I initially ruled that out. 

Was the pressure checked at full throttle?  I would change it just because it probably needs it anyway.  Also, just to remove it from the troubleshooting tree, I'd dump some Heet in there just to be sure.