Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'92 Malibu Skier--trouble starting . . . but running great once started

Just bought my first boat, so I’m a rookie.

My 92 Malibu Skier competition edition starts right up at the beginning of the day, but I have trouble starting it after I have it shut down even for a short period of time on the lake. I can always get it started, but it takes some time. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Vapor lock would apply if you have an injected engine.

If you have a carb engine, it is more likely either a stuck choke or possibly leaking float valves spilling gas into the intake.  In that case, I would rebuild the carb.

When it does start, do you see black smoke from the exhaust?  That would indicate a rich condition and would be from internal fuel leakage so as noted, carb rebuild should help.  A long crank to get it started or simply waiting an extended amount of time to allow some cooling points to vapor lock symptoms.  Try putting a cool, wet towel/rag on the fuel pump to see if that helps, and when sitting open the doghouse (engine cover) to allow warm air to escape.