Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anybody used tuning upgrades for their engines?

BarliBear

Came across this the other day and wonder if anyone has any experience with it or similar. 

This appears to be the only one available for newer boats. Never modded a boat before, but am leery to try. 

https://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detail/dyno-boost-boat-performance-chip/malibu-25-wakesetter-lsv/powered-by-monsoon-62l-450hp

I'm not sure I'd go for performance I don't need (or that can be done by prop) by a company that can't get the decimal place in 6.2.

Said from someone with the detuned 5.7l (320 LCR) that has enough pull for surfing and slalom skiing on regular octane gas.

Edited by smileysteve
adding context of my boat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reading the advertised gains the power gains are achieved by leaning out the mixture.  Typical marine calibration is on the rich side as boats run under load much more than a road vehicle.  Leaner mixtures are much more sensitive to octane, ignition timing, pre ignition and detonation.  Those type of modifications / additions will void the manufacturer warranty.

7 hours ago, Woodski said:

Reading the advertised gains the power gains are achieved by leaning out the mixture.  Typical marine calibration is on the rich side as boats run under load much more than a road vehicle.  Leaner mixtures are much more sensitive to octane, ignition timing, pre ignition and detonation.  Those type of modifications / additions will void the manufacturer warranty.

That was kind of my thinking as well. There has to be a reason that there aren’t tuning kits regularly available like there are for on-road trucks. 

7 hours ago, smileysteve said:

I'm not sure I'd go for performance I don't need (or that can be done by prop) by a company that can't get the decimal place in 6.2.

Said from someone with the detuned 5.7l (320 LCR) that has enough pull for surfing and slalom skiing on regular octane gas.

No doubt. The website looks terrible and the offer for no tech support or warranty is super re-assuring 

6 hours ago, BarliBear said:

That was kind of my thinking as well. There has to be a reason that there aren’t tuning kits regularly available like there are for on-road trucks. 

Volume is likely the reason. The boat market is very small compared to on road autos.