Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing with a Motorhome

OtherBoatisaCessna

OtherBoatisaCessna

Okay everyone, just something I’ve thought a lot about but never been able to find an answer to (or anyone who has this experience):  has anyone figured out a motorhome that can comfortably tow a modern, minimum 23’ wakeboat with relative ease?

We do the truck camper thing for this purpose, and the family gets a lot of enjoyment out of camping with the boat, but sometimes I wonder if it wouldn’t make more sense to just get a motorhome.  The truck is pretty much dedicated to the camper anyway, so it’s almost like we have a motorhome - just a small one.  In my perfect world, the rig would have 4WD (well, probably 6WD), a diesel  engine out of a modern pickup, reasonable clearance, towing capacity of 12,000 and could take a tongue weight of 1,000 without a W/D hitch.  Does such a thing exist (that isn’t an Earthroamer)?

I would say you probably want to be looking for a Class C RV built on a truck or van platform if you're not looking to spend a ton of cash. The van platforms (Express, Savana, E-series) have many builders/resources available to convert to 4wd. Try to find one that has a shorter rear overhang relative to the overall length. The longer the overhang relative to the length, the more weight distribution becomes a necessity.

36 minutes ago, OtherBoatisaCessna said:

Okay everyone, just something I’ve thought a lot about but never been able to find an answer to (or anyone who has this experience):  has anyone figured out a motorhome that can comfortably tow a modern, minimum 23’ wakeboat with relative ease?

We do the truck camper thing for this purpose, and the family gets a lot of enjoyment out of camping with the boat, but sometimes I wonder if it wouldn’t make more sense to just get a motorhome.  The truck is pretty much dedicated to the camper anyway, so it’s almost like we have a motorhome - just a small one.  In my perfect world, the rig would have 4WD (well, probably 6WD), a diesel  engine out of a modern pickup, reasonable clearance, towing capacity of 12,000 and could take a tongue weight of 1,000 without a W/D hitch.  Does such a thing exist (that isn’t an Earthroamer)?

Host makes some pretty sweet rigs;)

https://www.rvtrader.com/Host-Class-C/rvs-for-sale?type=Class C|198069&make=Host|171074868

You are looking for a "Super C" on, for example, a Kodiak chassis unless you want to go with an even stouter Freightliner chassis or something like that.  Or a Class A Diesel Pusher can get you between 10 and 20K towing capacity.    I am not sure about 4 wheel drive.  Diesel rigs that can tow are generally pretty spendy, however, depending on age and condition.  

• Like 2

I was walking through the plant of one of my class A customers and they had a unit in their shop for service.  As we walked by he noticed they put on a different hitch.  I was asking him what the tow rating was on their motorhomes and he said we have a 10k hitch on here but we have to put a sticker on that says it is only capable of towing 5k.  I was surprised since it was a diesel.  He said the the reason for 5k was because that is all the transmission was rated for.
A while later I was working with the engineer there and he said they changed what transmission they are buying because this was a big concern for customers.  He continued to tell me that a lot of other class A manufacturers out there are overstating what they can actually tow.  He told me the same thing @jjackkrash stated that they usually rate at around 10k - 15k. 

3 hours ago, Hemmy said:

I was walking through the plant of one of my class A customers and they had a unit in their shop for service.  As we walked by he noticed they put on a different hitch.  I was asking him what the tow rating was on their motorhomes and he said we have a 10k hitch on here but we have to put a sticker on that says it is only capable of towing 5k.  I was surprised since it was a diesel.  He said the the reason for 5k was because that is all the transmission was rated for.
A while later I was working with the engineer there and he said they changed what transmission they are buying because this was a big concern for customers.  He continued to tell me that a lot of other class A manufacturers out there are overstating what they can actually tow.  He told me the same thing @jjackkrash stated that they usually rate at around 10k - 15k. 

That's good to know.  Before I hooked a 10k lbs. boat up to my 6 figure motor home I'd really want to understand all the components in the tow chain.  

Edited by jjackkrash
10 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

You are looking for a "Super C" 

This.  Dynamax, Nexus, Jayco Seneca, and maybe a Thor Magnitude or Omni.  Thor also has a Super C built on the Freightshaker chassis but I can't recall it's name.

The Thor Magnitude and Omni are built on Ford Super Duty F600 chassis and some are 4x4.  They're a fairly unique animal and I really like them on paper, no idea how they actually perform or tow.  They supposedly can tow up to 12k but I think they have a pretty low ceiling on GVWR at the same time.  I've always wondered how this setup would work pulling a modern chunky wake boat. 

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/magnitude

spacer.png

Edited by rennis

I agree, you are looking at a Super C motorhome.  We used our motorhomes to tow our boats, but the boats and trailers were all under 5K.  Another thing to consider is whether or not you will launch the boat with the motorhome.  I know that people do that, but I never tried it.  Whenever we towed the boat with the motorhome, we always arranged to have someone else bring a vehicle that could be used to launch the boat.

OtherBoatisaCessna

Yeah, launching the boat is an interesting question.  I have spent some time thinking about this and figure that worst case, with a twelve pack and a little charm, I think you could bum someone’s truck at the launch ramp (haha, but seriously). 

When we started doing the truck camper thing, everyone said absolutely, no way, do not ever, ever launch with the camper on.  It took me a while to do it, but it turns out it’s no big deal.  With the right engine and 4WD, it’s just not an issue - those modern diesels will rip the boat and camper right up the steepest ramp like it’s nothing.  

I probably wouldn’t attempt it with a 40’ motorhome but I could see it working with a smaller one and the right rig (engine/drivetrain combo).

OtherBoatisaCessna

Man, I just checked out some of the Super C’s listed in this thread and they are HUGE.  Seems like the smallest super C you can get is about 32’ and that’s a pretty massive rig.  I was think something in the 25’ zone, for launching and for winter driving purposes.  I think that puts you back in the Mercedes sprinter van type stuff, but those Diesel engines are wimpy and I don’t think they’d tow a 7-9000# boat… maybe at all, let alone launching and up and over the mountains and all that.  Maybe we really got it right with the truck camper for once…

Look at Eagle Cap or Host campers if you want more room, I have a  Ram 5500 4x4 GVWR 19500 and GCWR 43000  with Knapheide PGNC body(with extra boxes on top) and Eagle Cap 1165 towing Malibu.  Lots of storage and good power only minus 4.89 ratio equals 8-11 mpg towing.

14 minutes ago, hambone3293 said:

Look at Eagle Cap or Host campers if you want more room, I have a  Ram 5500 4x4 GVWR 19500 and GCWR 43000  with Knapheide PGNC body(with extra boxes on top) and Eagle Cap 1165 towing Malibu.  Lots of storage and good power only minus 4.89 ratio equals 8-11 mpg towing.

What he said . Or a small class c would have to be custom built on a 550/5500 chassis . Many of these adventure type rigs are 4wd with the diesel . I had a 34’ super c on Kodiak chassis . No way would I try to launch with that . 

• 9 months later...

I have towed my M240 across the state of Texas, it pulled just fine behind my class A. 

IMG_4016.jpeg

Edited by Bubbasboy
  • 4 weeks later...
OtherBoatisaCessna

@Bubbasboy Huh, no kidding.  That’s an interesting setup. How’d you launch?  If on the RV, how’d it go?

I’ve kind of settled this question for myself and, perhaps since the original post, resolved to just stick with our diesel DRW 1-ton GMC, Arctic Fox 992, and 23MXZ.  It tows and rides like a dream, I’m not really that worried about being overloaded, the camper has plenty of room for our purposes, and it is 4-season with great handling in the snow for ski trips.  I’m not sure how you can accomplish all of those points in really any other rig with only a few exceptions.  I love that Host motorhome - that’s really cool, and if the newest one weren’t from the subprime era and I could get convinced it wouldn’t freeze up in the winter, I might seek one out, but our current rig is a lot nicer in a lot of ways, if a little smaller.  Toys, toys, toys… sometimes it’s just best not to mess with something that works!

10 hours ago, OtherBoatisaCessna said:

@Bubbasboy Huh, no kidding.  That’s an interesting setup. How’d you launch?  If on the RV, how’d it go?

I’ve kind of settled this question for myself and, perhaps since the original post, resolved to just stick with our diesel DRW 1-ton GMC, Arctic Fox 992, and 23MXZ.  It tows and rides like a dream, I’m not really that worried about being overloaded, the camper has plenty of room for our purposes, and it is 4-season with great handling in the snow for ski trips.  I’m not sure how you can accomplish all of those points in really any other rig with only a few exceptions.  I love that Host motorhome - that’s really cool, and if the newest one weren’t from the subprime era and I could get convinced it wouldn’t freeze up in the winter, I might seek one out, but our current rig is a lot nicer in a lot of ways, if a little smaller.  Toys, toys, toys… sometimes it’s just best not to mess with something that works!

The question about launching the boat? I had a friend with a truck when we got to our destination. I have a buddy that tows his boat to Lake Powell and launches with the RV with no problem, it’s a class A just like mine.