Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis A24 - Slow speed wakeboard wake advice

riot138

I have had my heart set on buying an A24 for the last few years.  I just sold my 07 23LSV.  On another post it was mentioned that it's hard to get a clean wake under 22mph due to prop size.  Has anyone been lucky getting the wake clean around 19mph?  I am looking at 2018-2020 models and the 2021 new hull model.  Is one better than the other?  Can I re-prop to clean it up or running empty ballast with bow weight work?  Pic below of my 07 at 19mph for reference. 

thumbnail_IMG_7715.jpg

Edited by riot138
  • Like 1

you are talking 2 totally diff iterations of wake hull,  i owned one of the last similar to you ‘14 a20 axis but small boat, for you the’13/‘14 23 lsv is as close as you are gonna get to a big boat that is not the new surf hull, you sold before doing your homework,  maybe empty and no wedge it will be clean but i doubt it and even if it did your lip will be minimal suited for your youngsters but not you 

did you forget the move to the surf hulls?!?!! that began after ‘13/14 Sg models?

Edited by granddaddy55
7 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

you are talking 2 totally diff iterations of wake hull,  i owned one of the last similar to you ‘14 a20 axis but small boat, for you the’13/‘14 23 lsv is as close as you are gonna get to a big boat that is not the new surf hull, you sold before doing your homework,  maybe empty and no wedge it will be clean but i doubt it and even if it did your lip will be minimal suited for your youngsters but not you 

did you forget the move to the surf hulls?!?!! that began after ‘13/14 Sg models?

I think you are right about selling before doing my homework.  From what I've read on here the A24 at least the 2014s were clean down to 18mph(see thread below).  I was thinking the 2018 would be the same hull as the 2014 but w/ power wedge 2.  Apparently the 17" prop throws a wrench into this.  I don't want to buy an X30 (hate the looks of the mastercraft) but that may be my only option at a 23ft + boat that throws a clean wake at slow speeds.

Edited by riot138
19 minutes ago, riot138 said:

I think you are right about selling before doing my homework.  From what I've read on here the A24 at least the 2014s were clean down to 18mph.  I was thinking the 2018 would be the same hull as the 2014 but w/ power wedge 2.  Apparently the 17" prop throws a wrench into this.  I don't want to buy an X30 (hate the looks of the mastercraft) but that may be my only option at a 23ft + boat.

How's your 2007 propped?

With ballast options and power wedge the A24 will give anything you want.  You’re just going to have to experiment and see. Don’t wakeboard much anymore, but when heading home with half ballast full (and still emptying) at 18-22 mph I see a beautiful wakeboard wake behind me. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, riot138 said:

It's an ACME 1235 14.50" x 14.25" prop.

I think that's your answer.  I remember my 06 vride with 1235 and how easy it was to get a clean wakeboard wake.  but as the boats have gotten bigger, get more surf oriented, and use bigger props, the prop torque favors the starboard side.  So you have to counterweight the port side... which adds weight which means you have to go faster...

Not to mention that the hulls have gotten deeper compared to the relatively flat hulls of the 2000s 

An 18 and earlier (1st gen) A24 is going to have the 1.5:1 or 1.72:1 transmission and will have a 15" prop.  I'd expect that will be the best of the low speed A24 hulls.  

11 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I think that's your answer.  I remember my 06 vride with 1235 and how easy it was to get a clean wakeboard wake.  but as the boats have gotten bigger, get more surf oriented, and use bigger props, the prop torque favors the starboard side.  So you have to counterweight the port side... which adds weight which means you have to go faster...

Not to mention that the hulls have gotten deeper compared to the relatively flat hulls of the 2000s 

An 18 and earlier (1st gen) A24 is going to have the 1.5:1 or 1.72:1 transmission and will have a 15" prop.  I'd expect that will be the best of the low speed A24 hulls.  

The predicament that I'm in is I believe 2018 is 2:1 17" prop and if I go 2017 with the 15" prop I don't have the option of power wedge which is a must have for me.   The search continuous...

12 hours ago, MakeNWaves said:

With ballast options and power wedge the A24 will give anything you want.  You’re just going to have to experiment and see. Don’t wakeboard much anymore, but when heading home with half ballast full (and still emptying) at 18-22 mph I see a beautiful wakeboard wake behind me. 

That's nice to hear!!

14 hours ago, riot138 said:

The predicament that I'm in is I believe 2018 is 2:1 17" prop and if I go 2017 with the 15" prop I don't have the option of power wedge which is a must have for me.   The search continuous...

Ok lift mode definitely helps. We were clean today as slow as 15. I wasn’t riding so cannot say how the wedge impacts the feel of the wake. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, riot138 said:

That's nice to hear!!

We are in the process of learning wakeboard wake for beginners right now and last weekend we were very close to a clean wake with slower speeds (22 A24). I ran no wedge, front ballast full, center ballast close to what I thought was half, and had passengers move around as I had 8 on board. It was pretty clean at 17.5 but still needed a little more tweaking. It just takes a little trial and error but with the wedge and ballast you can get what you want out of it. At around 18.5 it was cleaning up nice but my daughter is still learning so she wasn't comfortable at that speed yet. Hope this helps! 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Nemesis said:

We are in the process of learning wakeboard wake for beginners right now and last weekend we were very close to a clean wake with slower speeds (22 A24). I ran no wedge, front ballast full, center ballast close to what I thought was half, and had passengers move around as I had 8 on board. It was pretty clean at 17.5 but still needed a little more tweaking. It just takes a little trial and error but with the wedge and ballast you can get what you want out of it. At around 18.5 it was cleaning up nice but my daughter is still learning so she wasn't comfortable at that speed yet. Hope this helps! 

Perfect, thank you for letting me know!

7 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Ok lift mode definitely helps. We were clean today as slow as 15. I wasn’t riding so cannot say how the wedge impacts the feel of the wake. 

Thank you for testing that out!  I think the A24 is the next boat!!

• Like 1

different boat, 2021 23lsv but still has the 17" prop.  My ( Kids ride at 18.5 mph currently and you can get a very clean wake).  As others have said you should definitely have extra weight (lead) to level the boat.  Several hundred pounds on the port side will help a lot.  I run an additional 550lbs lead total (not all on port side, but more of it is on the port side and up front then any where else).  A good place to start - have a little bit of ballast in the front and center tank, should probably run the rears empty or close to it.  Personally for the best looking lower speed wake I like the wedge stowed.  You can play with this a bit as it can be clean at a few other positions but for my kids stowed works best.  Start here and I would think with a little tweaking you can get both sides really clean at the same time.

Also, I had a 2014 T22 before the 23lsv and you could get a very nice clean wake around 16ish mph

hope that gives you some ideas

• 11 months later...

Well,  I pulled the trigger on 2021 Axis A24.  I finally got around to testing out the slowest speed possible with a clean wake both sides.  Two people on board and 800lbs of lead.  No ballast and wedge at 2.  The lowest I could get down to was 18.2mph.  I'm pretty happy with that and I'm sure it would be cleaner at slower speeds without all that lead.  I appreciate all the help with this purchase from the Crew here.

wakeAt18.jpg293803887_567557511480313_2342361646522409106_n.jpg

Edited by riot138
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, riot138 said:

Well,  I pulled the trigger on 2021 Axis A24.  I finally got around to testing out the slowest speed possible with a clean wake both sides.  Two people on board and 800lbs of lead.  No ballast and wedge at 2.  The lowest I could get down to was 18.2mph.  I'm pretty happy with that and I'm sure it would be cleaner at slower speeds without all that lead.  I appreciate all the help with this purchase from the Crew here.

wakeAt18.jpg293803887_567557511480313_2342361646522409106_n.jpg

Congrats on the boat!!!  looks like you have a decently clean wake at that 18.2 mph.  Have you considered stowing the wedge at these slower speeds?    I would think it will clean up the wake even more.  Also, noticed you said 800lbs of lead.  It looks like it,  but is more of that cheated over to the port side?  If not, That will help clean up the wash on that side of the wake.

2 hours ago, klntime said:

Congrats on the boat!!!  looks like you have a decently clean wake at that 18.2 mph.  Have you considered stowing the wedge at these slower speeds?    I would think it will clean up the wake even more.  Also, noticed you said 800lbs of lead.  It looks like it,  but is more of that cheated over to the port side?  If not, That will help clean up the wash on that side of the wake.

When my 9 year old is riding I will put the wedge to stowed.  You're right I could probably get it cleaned up even more by doing that.  My test yesterday was to see how slow I could get the wake with a shape I like to ride and still be clean.  It was a little flat with it stowed and anymore than 2 it was getting washed on both sides where I would have to speed up.  By shifting the one passenger on board a foot or two either way it was making a difference cleaning up the wake.