Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Growing Impatient with our ExpeditionMAX

RyanB

2019 Expedition MAX.  My wife's daily driver.  She drives to/from work, loads our 3 big dogs into it (that she wants to take everywhere), and is our 2nd string Malibu hauler when we go somewhere that the truck is needed to tow the RV.

Within a couple hundred miles and a couple of weeks of going out of warranty.

Started making a whining noise in the rear end at the beginning of the summer.  Local dealer had it for 3 weeks, diagnosed that it needed the rear axle completely rebuilt.  They blamed the delay on a combo of supply chain issues and one of their service writers being on leave.

When I picked it up a few weeks back the service writer told me to "listen closely for anything else strange" with enough conviction to make me think they knew there was a strong probability that the issue wasn't fixed.

Soon after, new noise in the rear end.  Service Manager now tells me to drop it off as we were leaving for vacation and he would get it done quickly.  That was two weeks ago.  Now he says that there is a problem with the rear diff housing, whatever tool they need to do it isn't available from Ford until October, and that none of the local dealers have it.

Says that it "probably" won't cause us issues if we drive it locally in the mean time.  Or he can get me a F150 loaner (although he said he would try to get Ford to authorize an Expedition).

I've thought about just trading out of it and moving over to a Wagoneer that I would rather have anyway (but I really want the L which isn't available yet).  No desire to have a GM or another Ford.

What would the Bu Crew do?

unless your ford dealer does jeep too, seems like you have to either work through the ford warranty issue or take a haircut on the trade because of the rear end issue?

and it seems like you want the wagoneer l and its brand new I6 turbo.

Are you on the waiting list for the wagoneer?  Seeing as they aren't readily available yet, doesn't the long warranty repair actually work in your favor for making you wait?

Give 'em the Expy back to work on, take the F-150 in the meantime, get on the Wagoneer L list.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

I'd be skeptical that the Jeep will be any better than a Ford/GM

Me too.  Particularly considering how messed up Stellantis is in general, not to mention it's a new vehicle in a new plant with a new paint shop that's not functioning correctly.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Me too.  Particularly considering how messed up Stellantis is in general, not to mention it's a new vehicle in a new plant with a new paint shop that's not functioning correctly.

And a brand new engine, right?

Just circling back.  Yes, really want the "L".  Very mixed emotions on the I6 (want the power, apprehensive of year 1 engine though).

Believe it or not, the following is the "readers digest" update.

Decided to take Service Manager up on the F150.  They drug their feet until end of day Friday before telling me that they didn't have anything available.  But for sure they would have one Monday.

Left multiple messages Monday morning, before finally getting a response that he will have Uber pick me up at 3.  Which didn't happen.  After another call from me, it shows up at 4.

Go to get the truck, and they pull up in a Fusion.  Tell the person I'm working with that isn't what we agreed on.  She begrudgingly puts it away and pulls up in an F150.  That has so much smoke odor in it that I tell her I don't want it.  She is very apologetic, tells me it has been through their cleaning twice, and they can't get the smell out, then tells me she will get the other one they have, but it has some body damage.  And smells just as bad from smoke.

Ask to talk to the Service Manager to relay my frustrations.  He plays dumb as to the condition of their loaner pool, lack of vehicles, contract requirements (he told me it was ok to have the dogs in the F150 and use it to pull the boat, it is against the contract), and changes his story on the status of the repair.

After much discussion, he told me that my Ex "should be good for short trips", and sends me home in it.  Also said he will send someone to pick it up if/when replacement parts get here.

So the Ex is at home in the garage.  Doubt we will use it unless this drags out until the snow flies.  Wife is driving my Jeep.  I'm driving my P car.  Looking forward to this being done, whenever that happens.

1 hour ago, boardjnky4 said:

I'd be skeptical that the Jeep will be any better than a Ford/GM

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

My Grand Cherokee L was delivered end of May, and has been flawless.  I'm a solid MOPAR guy.  And this experience is my excuse to continue to stay away from Ford.

That one year Skepticism you have is valid. I worked at lexus for a stretch, not sure if you can google it still, but they changed a ton of valves and springs in the 1st gen 3.5 liter v6s in sedans. Crazy seeing $80k cars with their engines taken so far apart.
We bought a 1st year Acura MDX that had too many problems to keep more than a year. Our ram has been solid, until the screen starts to peel off in a year or two like the rest… lol. I too avoid Ford like the pelage…  

I took delivery a year ago this week of a 2021 Grand Cherokee L with the Hemi.  16K miles in, zero issues.  It tows our 247 awesome, very pleased with my first Mopar product.  Amazing transmission and while I miss the Suburban space on two trips a year, the Jeep's a nimble race car in comparison.  :-) 

I think on the Expy rear axle issue from the OP, the dealer screwed up the diagnosis.  I wouldn't pay for a rebuild that didn't fix the problem and I'd raise holy hell with Ford.  Not acceptable.  Before my '16 Suburban, I had an '07 Suburban.  At 118K, it decided to eat cylinder #7.  There were warning signs for years prior (fouled plugs and misfire from that cylinder).  GM took care of the bill despite 18K miles past the 100K powertrain.  Very classy.  It's the reason I make every effort to service mine at the dealership...that proven track record of service makes the manufacturer and dealer more willing to take good care of you when trouble arises.

• Like 2

Most of us have our go to brand, but a bad dealership can make someone want to change brands when it comes to repairs and warranty work. The same rule applies in opposite fashion, we have several contractors out in the oilfields here that have constant issues with their company vehicles but stay with them because the local dealership gives them the service they expect. The most useful tool I have found is to read what people are posting on vehicle/ brand specific forums when considering purchasing a new vehicle I am not familiar with, they can be brutally honest on their comments and opinions. 

• Like 2
On 8/23/2022 at 7:01 PM, EchelonMike said:

I took delivery a year ago this week of a 2021 Grand Cherokee L with the Hemi.  16K miles in, zero issues.  It tows our 247 awesome, very pleased with my first Mopar product.  Amazing transmission and while I miss the Suburban space on two trips a year, the Jeep's a nimble race car in comparison.  :-) 

I think on the Expy rear axle issue from the OP, the dealer screwed up the diagnosis.  I wouldn't pay for a rebuild that didn't fix the problem and I'd raise holy hell with Ford.  Not acceptable.  Before my '16 Suburban, I had an '07 Suburban.  At 118K, it decided to eat cylinder #7.  There were warning signs for years prior (fouled plugs and misfire from that cylinder).  GM took care of the bill despite 18K miles past the 100K powertrain.  Very classy.  It's the reason I make every effort to service mine at the dealership...that proven track record of service makes the manufacturer and dealer more willing to take good care of you when trouble arises.

A good friend of mine has one of these and he's thoroughly impressed.  He's also been told by a dealer that he's in talks with on a grand wagoneer that he's got a piece of gold since there are no more Hemi engines for that vehicle.  

• Like 1

for what it is worth, we have a Wagoneer and for towing it is amazing. it is not the L, but it is extremely quiet and drives like a much smaller car (we have had Denali's in the past). 

For towing, it pulls better than our 6.2l Denali's did, but I will say that when pulling up steep hills, it does scream (~5k rpm in 3rd/4th gear). but transmission never gets above 187 (even in 95+ heat) and has no problem keeping 75mph+ over long grades.

• Like 2

"I have XYZ and it's been great", while good feedback, is really not worth a ton in the large-scale.

I have a 2014 Silverado 6.2L and at 125k miles it's been great.

I have plenty of friends that have trouble-free Fords. 3.5 eco, 2.7 eco, 5.0 coyote, 6.7 diesel...

I am sure all of that would be of no consolation to OP. Ultimately, this conversation ends up just like the Malibu vs Nautique vs Mastercraft conversation. They all have issues here and there.

Edited by boardjnky4