Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

C&D EV Tow Test

RyanB

Electric scooter lithium battery fire. Wow 

they are asking people not to charge unattended. 
 hope ev’s fair better. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/new-york-fire-lithium-battery-b2218612.html

And this video made me dig out the lipo batteries to my rc car that has been sitting for a few months. And had one pack swelling.   🤦🏻‍♂️

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FeMmZ2Xgi5I

On 11/5/2022 at 6:13 AM, braindamage said:

The issue is that my experience when speaking with people on this topic is that their research is limited to only news sources and friends that share the same political bend as they do. It creates a self perpetuating echo chamber.

On 11/5/2022 at 6:31 AM, Bluefishcay said:

Also showing them any facts that refute their position causes them to more firmly cling to their beliefs.  This is why providing facts in an argument works so poorly.  

These are the reasons why I left this thread. It was going nowhere and turned into a political echo chamber.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, spikew919 said:

Better check on your ev driving friends. Seems a good many are needing rides form their ice driving in this cold weather 🤷🏻‍♂️

Where besides Chicago, which was a unique enigma with a dearth of home charging and local Uber fleet with small-battery-model 3s?

DRB10SEVEN
1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

The near religious fervor is something I don't get about this topic.

EVs work great as vehicles for some and not for others.  The beauty of this country of ours is that consumers can choose what's best for them.

Both camps have these people. EV owners who think everyone should drive a golf cart and we're all destroying the planet with our dino-juice burning trucks and boats. ICE owners who look at EV owners and think they're blissful idiots.

Who cares?

Everyone cares because people like to care. (lol) People like to have a "team". It makes things turn into a competition even when there doesn't necessarily need to be one. The EV stuff is slightly different because there is a massive push to have more people drive EV's and not vehicles that use "carbon based fuels". That is where, at least in my experience, there is a very strong pushback against that type of thing, and because of that there is a certain lens many people view EV's through.

I personally think that electric vehicles (and boats like the GS22E) can be very cool, and have some interesting positives specific to them. I do not, however, believe that they are going to save the planet from extinction or whatever talking point people use about them constantly.

I work for a GMC dealership, and we stock and have sold multiple Hummer EV's, including Editions 1's etc. One of my favorite things GM did with the Hummer EV's is that they kept them a HUMMER. They are big, heavy, not practical, and have up to 1000hp. They marketed them as a super truck. When you let someone use the "Watts to Freedom" mode and can take a massive truck from 0-60 in around 3 seconds, it is nearly impossible not to smile. The funny thing is when you talk to someone who is interested in something like the Hummer EV, when you tell them about how impractical and over the top and inefficient etc. it is, they almost want it even more the more you try to talk them out of it.

Personally, I do not have or want anything electric for many reasons. Maybe someday I will show up to a lake pulling the boat with a Hummer though, because that just sounds like a ton of fun.

4 minutes ago, DRB10SEVEN said:

there is a massive push to have more people drive EV's and not vehicles that use "carbon based fuels". That is where, at least in my experience, there is a very strong pushback against that type of thing, and because of that there is a certain lens many people view EV's through.

This is where the laugh comes in, at least locally.  A high percentage of our local electricity is generated via fossil fuels, especially during times of the year like now when the wind/solar doesn't work very well.  Then there is the practicality aspect - forget about if your house has the capacity for some form of charger, how big/long an extension cord(s) are you going to need to plug in at home.  The folks pushing EV's forget or don't know that a lot of us are parked in the driveway/street and not inside a garage where charging is convenient.     For those that it works for - great, not a reasonable alternative and I think that the whole EV fixation has really happened to the detriment of hydrogen power which seems like a better alternative to me.

3 hours ago, UWSkier said:

they're blissful idiots.

Who cares?

They vote.  Other than that, I don't care at all.

• Haha 3

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2M6lhlsQiz/?igsh=MW0ycml6cnk0NnR2cw==

For people that can’t open it.  These guys took the bmw high end i7 ev and its premium fueled version 7 series and did a road trip of like 900 kilometers with same 2 stops along the way.  The gas version was actually cheaper and took less time  🤷🏻‍♂️

ev’s do have their place just like horse and carriage, bicycles, scooters, roller blades heck even lawn mowers. 

IMG_1766.png