Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cabin Speakers Blown

LS1boarder

Hey Crew!

So all of my cabin speakers are now blown. My voltage regulator went bad and allowed my boat to reach 16v and that seems to have blown all of my interior speakers. Luckily my tower (Wetsounds Icon 8s) are still good. 

I have a 2016 23 LVS which is the year they went with Rockford Interiors and Wetsounds Tower Speakers. 

I’ve thought about trying to find someone who’s taken their stock system out and buy their stock speakers (Wetsounds or Rockford). That would be the cheapest option. Since that’s prob not likely to be found, what would you suggest I do to replace the stock speakers? Part of me wants to go crazy and do a whole system upgrade, but also thinking about just swapping for something comparable and moving on. 

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? 

Thank you! 

Have you had the amp tested? The high alternator voltage does not directly impact the speakers, as the amp converts the boats VDC to an amplifier VAC audio signal. To blow all the speakers, I suspect the amp failed and sent DC voltage out on the speaker output. This will melt a voice coil in short order. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MLA said:

Have you had the amp tested? The high alternator voltage does not directly impact the speakers, as the amp converts the boats VDC to an amplifier VAC audio signal. To blow all the speakers, I suspect the amp failed and sent DC voltage out on the speaker output. This will melt a voice coil in short order. 

I was thinking that might be related somehow since the cabin speakers all run from the same amp. When this happened, I literally smelled melting electrical things from the speakers and not the amp. The amp still powers on and shows a blue light. Is it possible that there is also an amp that needs replaced? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 12:17 PM, LS1boarder said:

I was thinking that might be related somehow since the cabin speakers all run from the same amp. When this happened, I literally smelled melting electrical things from the speakers and not the amp. The amp still powers on and shows a blue light. Is it possible that there is also an amp that needs replaced? 

I wouldn't dare use that amp without testing it first.  The speakers are all connected to the amp...if they fried, why wouldn't the source of that problem have done the same?

• 8 months later...
On 8/24/2022 at 4:38 PM, Nitrousbird said:

I wouldn't dare use that amp without testing it first.  The speakers are all connected to the amp...if they fried, why wouldn't the source of that problem have done the same?

Thanks for this, I pulled the amp out and am getting ready to upgrade the system. 

I decided to go with a Rockford 600x4 to use for the New M2 8” Rockford Speakers I bought for the rear seating area and want to use the (potentially damaged) 400x4 for the new M2 6.5” speakers I bought for the walkthrough and bow area. 

Questions:

- How do I test the amp?

- How do I wire these sets of speakers on separate amps? They were all 8 running through the 400x4 and I assumed there would be 2 speaker connections in each port on the amp, but that’s not the case and now I’m confused. The speaker wires go from the amp to a black box mounted on the amp board. I’m sure others have done this, how do it add this amp? 

Thank you ALL!!