Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spark Plug Gap Difference .060 and .045

RedKnuckles

I have 2006 Monsoon 340 non-catalyst engine.  Specs call for AC 41-932 plugs gapped to .060.  That plug no longer exists.  Bakes is suggesting ACDelco MR43LTS for non-catalyst engines, but these plugs are gapped to .045.  What to do?  Does it matter?

I would recommend the AC 41-101 spark plug gapped at 0.060", which is the most current replacement for the 41-932.  The MR43LTS can be used, but they need to be gapped at 0.045" and will likely need to be replaced more often.

25 minutes ago, csleaver said:

I would recommend the AC 41-101 spark plug gapped at 0.060", which is the most current replacement for the 41-932.  The MR43LTS can be used, but they need to be gapped at 0.045" and will likely need to be replaced more often.

Thanks.  Would/could you also re-gap the MR43LTS to 0.060?

Purchased the AC 41-101, $10ea.  Checked the gap and only two of the eight were gapped correctly at 0.060.  Others ranged from 0.065 to almost 0.070!

I remember ENGINE NUT telling me years ago to gap any plug in my '03 Monsoon at .045". That .060" was more of a GM idea based on a 195* thermostat.

Edited by electricjohn
'03, not 04.
  • Like 2

Not to change topic too much, but I've heard some folks use the longer plug where the "peanut" R43 plug is supposed to be used. That putting the electrode in more toward the center of the cylinder made a better fire.

Don't think I would do it without completely verifying it is safe to do.

Steve B.

8 hours ago, electricjohn said:

I remember ENGINE NUT telling me years ago to gap any plug in my '04 Monsoon at .045". That .060" was more of a GM idea based on a 195* thermostat.

Yeah, that is what the Indmar manual calls for, 0.060.  Since I have to re-gap them anyway, I figure I'll error on less than .060 rather than more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The old original plugs that I pulled out (41-932) were all gapped exactly to 0.055.  The brand new 41-101 plugs that I put in were kind of all over the place right out of the box, from just under 0.060 to 0.070, so I did my best to gap them as close to 0.060 as possible.  Engine runs great.

• Like 1