Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2023 lsv22 or 23lsv

Jketch

I've been researching/demoing boats and have narrowed it down to one of the malibu's above or a supra sa.  The 2023 lsv 22 is obviously super new to market but I didn't know if anyone on the malibu crew has ridden behind one yet (and also the 23lsv).  If so, does the "new" hull on the 22lsv (if it is indeed new) have any discernable difference/improvement (if that is such a thing).  My buddy says 23 feet all day long and that the 22 will be to small.  It will 90% of the time be family of 4.  Thanks in advance for opinions of the new model and what the majority would do if deciding between the two options.  

i can't speak to surfing either, but a 23 inside is going to feel significantly larger even if just 4 people moving around with gear/food.  a little extra displacement never hurt the wave either.  and both those items probably help the 23's resale too.

I agree with your buddy.  23 all day.  We were surprised at how much of a benefit the extra space was when we went form a 22 to a 23 last year.  Even with just 4 in the boat, the extra space is welcomed.  

• Like 2

23 all day long.  I went from a 22lsv to a 23lsv this year and there is so much more room on the interior and so much more storage.  It doesn't seem to matter if it's just me and my wife hanging out or a surf session with 8, we are loving the extra space. 

My .02.
We had the same decision to make and went for the 22LSV. We are very happy with that decision and would make the same decision again in a heartbeat. 

The surf wave is crazy good. 22 footers seem to stoke a great surf wave easy. 

For our crew size 5-9 people typically, the 22 was ideal. Several of our friends have the new 23LSV, but for us the 22LSV balance was perfect.

I don’t subscribe to the bigger is always better idea. Get whatever you like, makes you happy and what fits your needs best.  

• 2 weeks later...

Glad this topic was out there as I continue to try to narrow down what I want.  Been really eyeing the 22/23s and the 22MXZ and A22.  Have 3 small ones so the room isn't as big of deal and the bigger bow somewhat interests me.  I've seen a couple good deals on the 22LSV (prior gen) and wondered how it stacks up.  Is the M5 enough in that boat and does it wakeboard well.  

23 is the boat to get.  22 is for those with garage restrictions, tow vehicle limitations (slightly lighter) or length restrictions on a local lake. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
On 8/10/2022 at 11:12 PM, Jketch said:

I've been researching/demoing boats and have narrowed it down to one of the malibu's above or a supra sa.  The 2023 lsv 22 is obviously super new to market but I didn't know if anyone on the malibu crew has ridden behind one yet (and also the 23lsv).  If so, does the "new" hull on the 22lsv (if it is indeed new) have any discernable difference/improvement (if that is such a thing).  My buddy says 23 feet all day long and that the 22 will be too small.  It will 90% of the time be family of 4.  Thanks in advance for opinions of the new model and what the majority would do if deciding between the two options.  

I am trying to make the same decision. Did you decide?  Did you get a chance to demo the new 22 LSV? 

23 all day--they throw amazing waves.  You always need to be aware of your "exit strategy" when making an "Investment":) like this.  For that reason, I would continue to lean 23, as I believe it's a much more highly sought-after size/configuration.    

• Like 2

I recently bought a (slightly) used 2019 22 LSV because it was roughly $20k cheaper than a similar used 23 LSV. I priced them out new and the difference in base MSRP was only a 4K-ish. So if buying new, it seems like the 23 is a no brainer. But if buying used, you can find some great deals out there on the 22. 

Caveat: These differences are likely regional. I live in an area (UT) that doesn't have length restrictions.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the battery placement on the 22 LSV on the port side? I saw a video walkthrough of a 2022 model and he was talking about how the batteries had been moved from bow to port side. From my understanding they moved them to the bow originally because of weight distribution being better. 

On 8/24/2022 at 4:10 PM, kstateskier1 said:

Glad this topic was out there as I continue to try to narrow down what I want.  Been really eyeing the 22/23s and the 22MXZ and A22.  Have 3 small ones so the room isn't as big of deal and the bigger bow somewhat interests me.  I've seen a couple good deals on the 22LSV (prior gen) and wondered how it stacks up.  Is the M5 enough in that boat and does it wakeboard well.  

In the past weeks I've tested out (all 2022s) a 23 lsv, 22 lsv, A22 and 23MXZ.  We rode them all wakeboard advanced and tried to push the wedge as far as the M5 would take them without porpoising. Wakeboard wake best to "not best" was 23 mxz, 22lsv, A22, 23 lsv.  Just my experience.  I've checked out a 2023 22 lsv and the changes are nice.  A walkthrough is huge to me. 

We are at 950 ft.  I think the M5 is enough at that elevation for most applications.  It did well in the 23 MXZ with the wedge at 6 on advanced.  We are looking at the M6 being one of our top options though, as I feel like we'd be pushing the limits and I'd like to have the flexibility.  Roughly 7k option on the 2022 MY. 

• Like 1

I have the M6 on our 23LSV.  We have used it at 250’, 1500’ and 2500’ with anywhere from 3 to 10 people surfing and wakeboarding.  Awesome motor.  Power through out and very smooth.

Best option on our boat by far.

I had the M6 in our 2021 23LSV and agree with @dlb comments.  I also have the M6 in our 2022 25LSV and it's been solid with plenty of power.  If I was at elevation I'd be saying something different, but for us most of our water time is at 1,000 ASL or less.

20 hours ago, onwi said:

In the past weeks I've tested out (all 2022s) a 23 lsv, 22 lsv, A22 and 23MXZ.  We rode them all wakeboard advanced and tried to push the wedge as far as the M5 would take them without porpoising. Wakeboard wake best to "not best" was 23 mxz, 22lsv, A22, 23 lsv.  Just my experience.  I've checked out a 2023 22 lsv and the changes are nice.  A walkthrough is huge to me. 

We are at 950 ft.  I think the M5 is enough at that elevation for most applications.  It did well in the 23 MXZ with the wedge at 6 on advanced.  We are looking at the M6 being one of our top options though, as I feel like we'd be pushing the limits and I'd like to have the flexibility.  Roughly 7k option on the 2022 MY. 

When you are rating them, were they all setup the same - assuming stock ballast, no extra PNP or did you have other factors to consider?  I am surprised to see the 23LSV was the least "best" wake in your comparison.  What did you not like about it compared to the others?

M6 is a great option if you plan to load the boats for wakeboarding but, isn't completely needed in some of the models.  If you plan on having the boat for a while, get it.  If it is a flip, then consider the audience buying it and if it is worth it in resale.

20 hours ago, onwi said:

i'm not a wakeboarding guru, but i recall seeing a thread with @Gene3x where bow weight (or actually lack thereof) made a huge difference in wakeboard setup for a 25 lsv (and Guenther Oka has youtube videos showing he sets up an A24 with no bow weight).  So i'm curious how the demo folks setup the ballast for wake and whether that rear-heavy ballast trend on the larger boats would/should/could affect performance/your rankings.

50 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

When you are rating them, were they all setup the same - assuming stock ballast, no extra PNP or did you have other factors to consider?  I am surprised to see the 23LSV was the least "best" wake in your comparison.  What did you not like about it compared to the others?

M6 is a great option if you plan to load the boats for wakeboarding but, isn't completely needed in some of the models.  If you plan on having the boat for a while, get it.  If it is a flip, then consider the audience buying it and if it is worth it in resale.

All boats were dealer inventory with pnp sacks installed in the rears.  On the 23 lsv we had a crew of 5, the 22 lsv a crew of 3.  The 22lsv just has more punch to it in my experience.  I connected on that wake every time.  It felt good and vertical with the pop at wedge 3 and only got better at 4 and 5.  It could certainly be my timing, it could be that the longer 23 lsv needs the additional weight that the 23 mxz has already built in.  I don't know what it is.  It certainly isn't what I wanted to find out, as the 23 MXZ wake is what I want and the 23 lsv footprint is the best for what I'm looking for and the pocketbook.  

42 minutes ago, CaptainMorgan said:

i'm not a wakeboarding guru, but i recall seeing a thread with @Gene3x where bow weight (or actually lack thereof) made a huge difference in wakeboard setup for a 25 lsv (and Guenther Oka has youtube videos showing he sets up an A24 with no bow weight).  So i'm curious how the demo folks setup the ballast for wake and whether that rear-heavy ballast trend on the larger boats would/should/could affect performance/your rankings.

I've seen those videos.  And it certainly was surprising as I've always thought Bu/Axis loved the bow weight.  I'd love to have a couple of afternoons to mess with the 23 lsv to get the best wake possible.  I'm not sure I'm willing to buy one for that opportunity when the 23 mxz and 22 lsv felt better out of the box.  

• Like 1

I have a 23LSV and haven't had issues with the wake but as you mentioned, there are many factors and riding preferences that can go into it.  The way we setup ours is with 200lbs of led under portside tower seats, then the PNP full mid-full and then as we need it in the bow - typically 3 adults in the boat plus 2 kids (combined 90-100lbs).

The end of this summer, I had a '23 23MXZ to use for a few weeks due to warranty work with my LSV and thought that while it was nice for the bow space, there wasn't that much difference in the two wakes.  

When not riding my boat, I am on an A24 (switching every other weekend) and we typically ride all full (plus rear 900's) or like Guenther and it is massive either way.

End of the day, get what you want and you'll enjoy it!

1 hour ago, bcoppess23 said:

I have a 23LSV and haven't had issues with the wake but as you mentioned, there are many factors and riding preferences that can go into it.  The way we setup ours is with 200lbs of led under portside tower seats, then the PNP full mid-full and then as we need it in the bow - typically 3 adults in the boat plus 2 kids (combined 90-100lbs).

The end of this summer, I had a '23 23MXZ to use for a few weeks due to warranty work with my LSV and thought that while it was nice for the bow space, there wasn't that much difference in the two wakes.  

When not riding my boat, I am on an A24 (switching every other weekend) and we typically ride all full (plus rear 900's) or like Guenther and it is massive either way.

End of the day, get what you want and you'll enjoy it!

I don't want to say I've had "issues".  To be clear, they were all good, the 22 was just better in my limited experience.  

On 11/1/2022 at 10:50 AM, onwi said:

I've seen those videos.  And it certainly was surprising as I've always thought Bu/Axis loved the bow weight.  I'd love to have a couple of afternoons to mess with the 23 lsv to get the best wake possible.  I'm not sure I'm willing to buy one for that opportunity when the 23 mxz and 22 lsv felt better out of the box.  

The older Malibu boats definitely liked bow weight.  I am not sure about the changes in the newer 23LSV but my 25 definitely gets better with the front empty as several pro riders have told me.  It seems weird.  IMO the reason you like the 22LSV and that it has "more punch" with stock weight is that there isn't as much boat to sink.  Most all smaller boats have a better stock wake.  The MXZ line up is just better in general and as I understand is the boat that is engineered for better wakeboarding.  I would go with the 23MXZ if wakeboarding is your priority.  Actually the 24 MXZ is better obviously as I had a 2021 24MXZ and had finally figured out how to weight it right as I sold it.

OH and DO NOT SKIMP ON POWER!  Get the M6 at he very least.  Resale will be a huge difference alone, but you will just burn more gas with the M5 and be slow out of the hole.

Edited by Gene3x