Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which foil boards have you guys tried?

Smokedvw

I'm thinking of getting a new advanced foil board and would like to use it for wake and kiting.  I was thinking the Armstrong 4 or 4'5 so I can do both.  I am riding an Axis 1050/440 combo and have a few different rears that are a lot more aggressive for carving.    I was also recommended the Appletree, https://www.realwatersports.com/products/appletree-mini-foil-eps-epoxy-321

Looking for pumping and transferring wakes behind the boat.  That is where my progression is at currently.

I have just been riding my LF Foil Fish and want to switch it up.  I'm curious to know what people have used and what they have enjoyed.  I rode the Slingshot before as well and thought it was OK but looking for something more stiff and advanced.  

44 minutes ago, Smokedvw said:

I'm thinking of getting a new advanced foil board and would like to use it for wake and kiting.  I was thinking the Armstrong 4 or 4'5 so I can do both.  I am riding an Axis 1050/440 combo and have a few different rears that are a lot more aggressive for carving.    I was also recommended the Appletree, https://www.realwatersports.com/products/appletree-mini-foil-eps-epoxy-321

Looking for pumping and transferring wakes behind the boat.  That is where my progression is at currently.

I have just been riding my LF Foil Fish and want to switch it up.  I'm curious to know what people have used and what they have enjoyed.  I rode the Slingshot before as well and thought it was OK but looking for something more stiff and advanced.  

what's your skill level @Smokedvw?  I'm not that good, but I don't think the board would hold you back from doing first and second wake transfers.  Maybe long distance pumping once you are getting really good?

What do you feel  the board specifically is holding you back from?

I am using the slingshot 4'6" board and the infinity 76 foil. I am pretty pumped because next weekend I get to try out a few different setups and I am pretty stoked for that. My next purchase will be axis and was gonna be my original purchase until I realized I would still have to buy a board. The slingshot package was on sale like 400 dollars off so I went with it and havent been disappointed so far. But Im also not riding ropeless yet either. 

I am definitely a beginner, and only mooch off friends so far for my fouling...but his AK board felt big for pumping, was one of the dual use surfboard/foilboards so lots of volume and easy to get up, but perhaps overkill past the beginner stage.   His dwarftcraft 110cm felt much more manageable underfoot - both solid and stiff but light, less volume so more like getting up on a wakeboard but no extra volume to throw around once up.  

Buddy uses the dwarftcraft for all kinds of dock starting and pumping out/in to get 5+ waves back.

Rode a hyperlite ute board with their mid level foil this past weekend. Was interesting but had a hard time figuring it out. Loa wd my sli gshot out to a lady who had a  Henley foil. When her husband showed me the wing it was massive. The lady told me she had a hard time steering the wing but could do ok in a straight line on it. I didnt get to try it, but it looked way wide compared to mine.