Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak surfing/ starting from the platform?

wakechick3

I have heard several mentions of 'teak surfing' and starting from the platform. Are they the same thing?

How do you start surfing from the platform? anyone have any video?

Start w/ one foot on platform and one foot on surfboard at the very front (caution: back of board will move around with water flow)

Once you hit your cruising speed 10.4ish, Put all your weight on your front foot at the front of the board and place your back foot on the board

Adjust your stance... find whatever is comfortable then go with a wider stance. Back foot should be at the back of the board

Now slightly lean back on the back foot (board will be in the water) and you will slowly slide off. As soon as you hit the motion of the wake your going to surf put more weight on your front foot.

Front foot: GAS

back foot: BRAKE

Just keep adjusting weight front to back, front to back......... Youll get it.

Good Luck

Ryan

I have heard several mentions of 'teak surfing' and starting from the platform. Are they the same thing?

No, they are not the same thing. Teak surfing is basically body surfing behind the boat. It is not only extremely dangerous, it is also illegal in some states. The risk of death from CO poisoning is increased and has happened.

Start w/ one foot on platform and one foot on surfboard at the very front (caution: back of board will move around with water flow)

Once you hit your cruising speed 10.4ish, Put all your weight on your front foot at the front of the board and place your back foot on the board

Adjust your stance... find whatever is comfortable then go with a wider stance. Back foot should be at the back of the board

Now slightly lean back on the back foot (board will be in the water) and you will slowly slide off. As soon as you hit the motion of the wake your going to surf put more weight on your front foot.

Good Luck

Ryan

I do it a little differently.

holding onto the rope, i put both feet on the surfboard, (board is off center on platform goofy or reg side, pointing forward of course), with weight on front foot. Shift some weight to the rear foot and the board will come off the platform and into the wake. let out some rope and there you are.

I try to get my stance approximately right before i launch into the wake.

Good Luck

Ryan

holding onto the rope, i put both feet on the surfboard, (board is off center on platform goofy or reg side, pointing forward of course), with weight on front foot. Shift some weight to the rear foot and the board will come off the platform and into the wake. let out some rope and there you are.

Exactly how we do it. When you get pretty good at it, you don't even need to start with the rope. Biggrin.gif

We do it as above (WakeGirl)

but be aware - I have been told by the local sherrif that is OK with us surfing that the deck starts may be illegal.

Mainly because the boat is underway with someone standing on the swim deck which is illegal in most states.

But since you are only doing it for a few seconds it may be no issue.

No, they are not the same thing. Teak surfing is basically body surfing behind the boat. It is not only extremely dangerous, it is also illegal in some states. The risk of death from CO poisoning is increased and has happened.

What obski said. You are talking about two different things--a surfing start from the platform is very different from 'teak surfing.' Though I don't think this is what you are asking about, don't body surf off the platform. It is a Stoopid Idea®.

yeah, im not likely to promote what you describe as 'teak surfing'. sounds like a dumb idea.

so when you launch into the wake is it a real fast motion or gradual? how much of the sufboard is on the platform (nose touching transom?)?

We do it as above (WakeGirl)

but be aware - I have been told by the local sherrif that is OK with us surfing that the deck starts may be illegal.

Mainly because the boat is underway with someone standing on the swim deck which is illegal in most states.

But since you are only doing it for a few seconds it may be no issue.

I thought I remember reading that they have legalized "teak surfing" now because of surfing. But when they redid the rules, they made it legal to teak surf behind any type of boat, including an I/O Crazy.gif

yeah, im not likely to promote what you describe as 'teak surfing'. sounds like a dumb idea.

so when you launch into the wake is it a real fast motion or gradual? how much of the sufboard is on the platform (nose touching transom?)?

It's pretty quick, at least for me. You need to try it a few times before you understand the balance of it, but I usually have the tip pretty far onto the platform. Mainly because it gives you more surface area of the board to balance on.

A big word of caution though, this goes to the boat driver. Make sure that your driver continues driving for a few feet after you fall. If he tries to anticipate the rider falling & cuts the power too soon, you could hit the platform with your head/face due to the throttle being cut too early. Make sure that he drives away from the rider before cutting power. We know a girl that has a pretty good scar on her face because this happened, & she was just surfing normally (not trying to start off of the platform or anything).

Good Luck

Ryan

Exactly how we do it. When you get pretty good at it, you don't even need to start with the rope. Biggrin.gif

Anybody have video of this?

Ah, heck--my son did that, albeit with a rope. Though he was only three at the time. :)

And on a skimmer, right? Talk about your surface area to body weight ratios. :lol:

Yeah, it was about a 100 to 1. Biggrin.gif

I teak surfed one time in the early 90's. Lost my swim trunks, bruised my junk, hurt my pride...all at 40 mph. As Bon Scott would say...."It was a bad deal". Cry.gif

Sorry JSP, no pics either. Shocking.gif

I teak surfed one time in the early 90's. Lost my swim trunks, bruised my junk, hurt my pride...all at 40 mph. As Bon Scott would say...."It was a bad deal". Cry.gif

Sorry JSP, no pics either. Shocking.gif

Thats okay...I don't want to see that :lol:Vomit.gif

It's pretty quick, at least for me. You need to try it a few times before you understand the balance of it, but I usually have the tip pretty far onto the platform. Mainly because it gives you more surface area of the board to balance on.

A big word of caution though, this goes to the boat driver. Make sure that your driver continues driving for a few feet after you fall. If he tries to anticipate the rider falling & cuts the power too soon, you could hit the platform with your head/face due to the throttle being cut too early. Make sure that he drives away from the rider before cutting power. We know a girl that has a pretty good scar on her face because this happened, & she was just surfing normally (not trying to start off of the platform or anything).

Or the rider could end up in the boat Whistling.gif

Edited by jetskipro550

Good Luck

Ryan

wow, without the rope, never even thought of that. can't wait to try it.

Hey now, in my defense the depth finder went from over 100' feet to under 10' in the blink of an eye. :Doh: I'm not going back up the Pit Arm, you can't talk me into it. No.gif

Hey now, in my defense the depth finder went from over 100' feet to under 10' in the blink of an eye. :Doh: I'm not going back up the Pit Arm, you can't talk me into it. No.gif

Sorry I couldn't resist :lol: And you are right, the depth finder was being funky. I remember Chad and I talking that night (before we knew the depth finder was being weird) and we just couldn't figure out why we had never "seen" those shallow spots before Crazy.gif