Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What are your surf settings?

Andiamo

I tried searching and didn’t see a dedicated thread on surf settings for Axis. We recently picked up a T220 to use primarily for surfing. Have placed with the Power Wedge 3 a bit and both my wife and I have no problems popping up. We’ve played around with increasing speed a bit to lengthen/shorten the wave, but still trying to perfect our set up.  Used to surf back in the day before we had kids in the ocean… I’d love to hear what settings everyone has found that work best for surfing behind their Axis. 

We have a T220 and run full hard tanks + PNP, wedge 2 @11.2 mph. Typically 4-6 people in boat ranging from larger kids to adults. 75% of our crew ride goofy. Some bigger guys  in our group prefer wedge @3…

• Like 1

I am still working on getting mine right. It’s really good but I know it can be better. We run all ballast with P+P full, and drain a little off the opposite side to get the boat heavier on the surf side. I have some extra weight in the front but want more. 

i am liking 10.8mph at wedge 3 when the crew is small.  Not sure yet what’s going to be best with a larger crew, will have that figured out in a week or two. 

pic here is as described with two guys in the boat and 200lbs of steel bags under observer compartment 

3D1DE92E-4660-4DB7-8FED-B2816CFD66A1.jpeg

Edited by rennis

I've found that all hard tanks + back bags + a couple people in the bow + 11mph makes a hell of a wave without the wedge.  Adding the wedge makes the wave more steep from the base wave I described.  Having weight in the front really brings the RPMs down when you have the wedge at big numbers. 

On 7/30/2022 at 9:10 AM, Andiamo said:

I tried searching and didn’t see a dedicated thread on surf settings for Axis. We recently picked up a T220 to use primarily for surfing. Have placed with the Power Wedge 3 a bit and both my wife and I have no problems popping up. We’ve played around with increasing speed a bit to lengthen/shorten the wave, but still trying to perfect our set up.  Used to surf back in the day before we had kids in the ocean… I’d love to hear what settings everyone has found that work best for surfing behind their Axis. 

On 7/30/2022 at 9:25 AM, BohBoh said:

We have a T220 and run full hard tanks + PNP, wedge 2 @11.2 mph. Typically 4-6 people in boat ranging from larger kids to adults. 75% of our crew ride goofy. Some bigger guys  in our group prefer wedge @3…

With a light crew... T220

I have 300lbs lead stashed around trash can and observers compartment. Speed = 11.0mph

All ballast full. With regular side, wedge 3-4, goofy side wedge 1-3.

Last night I had a larger crew. I was having a hard time setting up the wave right, even had the wedge on lift to try it. I think it is key if you have a couple 300lb observers like I did, that they need to sit right behind the drivers seat, and up against the observers seat back. It seemed like my gates were too far under water with them in the back. (I also had two kids and an adult in the bow and 2 more average sized people in the rear) The wave was super high, but short in length no matter the wedge setting. Another option would have been to reduce the volume in my rear bags to make up for the larger guests.

I may try to let some of the ballast out of the stern-starboard bags to compensate some. Just the wife and I with two small kids so not a lot of weight to move around. Out of the box the wave has been impressive. Just need some calm days on the water to fine tune it some. 

I've been going full ballast at 10.7 with the wedge between 2-3. Still playing with it some. Would like a longer wave to have some more to play around in but some of that is likely my technique some too. 

24 minutes ago, Andiamo said:

I may try to let some of the ballast out of the stern-starboard bags to compensate some. Just the wife and I with two small kids so not a lot of weight to move around. Out of the box the wave has been impressive. Just need some calm days on the water to fine tune it some. 

I've been going full ballast at 10.7 with the wedge between 2-3. Still playing with it some. Would like a longer wave to have some more to play around in but some of that is likely my technique some too. 

the 220 i was on we did 11.4 wedge 3, 6 passengers 2 in bow 4 in cabin mostly to surf side , it was awesome sauce 

This is an awesome and informative thread, and @BohBoh has pretty much the exact set up I have been looking at. It has taken me a while to play with everything because finding the right depth around me is difficult. Will be @ lake Anna for a few days this weekend/coming week and plan to play around with a solid crew on board. I'm excited about the opportunity to calibrate a quality wave and get out there. Will be sure to take some pics and video, though at this point seeing these pics you guys post with this beautiful blue/blue green water behind you makes me so jealous. I'm brackish 90% of the time. Never been to Lake Anna though, so maybe I'll get some nice looking water behind me as well :)

We went to Lake Anna for the first time over Memorial Day weekend with my buddies T23. Not sure about bright blue/green, but I can say that after boating all weekend we had virtually zero scum line on the boat- very clean! We had a great time. The family and I definitely want to make LA a yearly trip! Hope you have a great time.

• Like 1

Lake Anna water down lake, southeast of the 208 bridge and down to dam is very nice. Clear & deep in most parts. Watch out around the islands it’s shallow. Mid lake around bridge and up to the splits is okay most times also. Further up lake / north and west it gets weird green and isn’t the best but we ride in it everyday. It’s crazy crowded on weekends. Get out by 7:30 on Saturday or Sunday and you will have pretty good water until 9:30. After that it’s insane. Weekdays are pretty much always good. We are out just about every evening during the week and usually at the party spots on weekend. T220 all white. Mid to upper lake area. Hope to see you out on water. No other  T220’s or T250’s on the lake that I know of. 

Lake Anna water down lake, southeast of the 208 bridge and down to dam is very nice. Clear & deep in most parts. Watch out around the islands it’s shallow. Mid lake around bridge and up to the splits is okay most times also. Further up lake / north and west it gets weird green and isn’t the best but we ride in it everyday. It’s crazy crowded on weekends. Get out by 7:30 on Saturday or Sunday and you will have pretty good water until 9:30. After that it’s insane. Weekdays are pretty much always good. We are out just about every evening during the week and usually at the party spots on weekend. T220 all white. Mid to upper lake area. Hope to see you out on water. No other  T220’s or T250’s on the lake that I know of. 
** this is for the cold side or public side of lake. Private or Hot side is different. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 11:30 AM, SmoothbrainA22 said:

This is an awesome and informative thread, and @BohBoh has pretty much the exact set up I have been looking at. It has taken me a while to play with everything because finding the right depth around me is difficult. Will be @ lake Anna for a few days this weekend/coming week and plan to play around with a solid crew on board. I'm excited about the opportunity to calibrate a quality wave and get out there. Will be sure to take some pics and video, though at this point seeing these pics you guys post with this beautiful blue/blue green water behind you makes me so jealous. I'm brackish 90% of the time. Never been to Lake Anna though, so maybe I'll get some nice looking water behind me as well :)

minimum depth for your boat is 12 feet, wave barely forms below that

• Like 1

We had glass-like water last weekend and it was just the wife and I. Filled all the ballast filled and found that 10.9 at wedge 3-4 worked best for me, 11.2 and wedge 2 was the sweet spot for my wife. Finally had that surf that went so long I let myself fall back off the wave because I was too tired!

I want to try adding some lead ballast as it’ll normally just be the two of us and no kids. Are people normally stashing their extra ballast in the bow and starboard side (we both serve the left side wave)? When talking about the observers compartment, is this up near where the amp is located? We’re loving our new boat

40 minutes ago, Andiamo said:

Are people normally stashing their extra ballast in the bow and starboard side (we both serve the left side wave)? When talking about the observers compartment, is this up near where the amp is located? We’re loving our new boat

Yes. Usually 200-300 lbs is a good first attempt, then tweak to your liking.

On 8/2/2022 at 1:56 PM, BohBoh said:

We went to Lake Anna for the first time over Memorial Day weekend with my buddies T23. Not sure about bright blue/green, but I can say that after boating all weekend we had virtually zero scum line on the boat- very clean! We had a great time. The family and I definitely want to make LA a yearly trip! Hope you have a great time.

Had a blast. We are snug between Lake Gaston NC and Lake Anna VA so either one is a killer option for us. I really enjoyed LA, and the sunset surf was absolutely wonderful!

7338542D-63C1-4922-BE29-E03CBEE24AC1.jpeg

On 8/3/2022 at 2:31 PM, Bagar20 said:

** this is for the cold side or public side of lake. Private or Hot side is different. 

Sorry we missed you man! I’ll reply when sober to try and pinpoint where we were at. I can say we hit ALL the soft serve ice cream spots on more than one occasion. 🤣🤣🤣

Passed you guys on the water a couple times right near the splits. Sort of near state park where lake splits into two upper fingers. I wasn’t on my T220 though both times. Was on friends 23lsv, black, silver flake and purple flake. Your boat looks awesome on water. Hit us up next time you are coming up. Heading to Gaston also not next week but the following for a week.