Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best anchor for lake use?

Gmailloux

What is the best anchor for lake use only. Family likes to park out deep and swim. I believe lake bottom in this area is sediment, silt, muck. 

• Like 2

It depends on the lake bottom and depth.

I carry a vinyl coated mushroom anchor with 6' feet of chain, 50 feet of anchor line and a rope float, works great on muddy bottoms and hold well in the wind. 

Its small enough to stow under the front bow seats. 

I use this while  we are on the boat having lunch  I wouldn't trust it when the boat is unattended.

For  overnight mooring I use a Box Anchor and 100 feet of rope  and the slide anchor "shore spike" for the beach with a shock cord. 

The box anchor is too big  to store on my boat so its only used for camping ( My Sunsetter doesn't have allot of storage space)

Its a great invention and works well. 

Edited by Rack
20 minutes ago, Rack said:

It depends on the lake bottom and depth.

I carry a vinyl coated mushroom anchor with 6' feet of chain, 50 feet of anchor line and a rope float, works great on muddy bottoms and hold well in the wind. 

Its small enough to stow under the front bow seats. 

I use this while  we are on the boat having lunch  I wouldn't trust it when the boat is unattended.

For  overnight mooring I use a Box Anchor and 100 feet of rope  and the slide anchor "shore spike" for the beach with a shock cord. 

The box anchor is too big  to store on my boat so its only used for camping ( My Sunsetter doesn't have allot of storage space)

Its a great invention and works well. 

Curious how a mushroom anchor takes less space than a folded box anchor in it's bag?

1 hour ago, Rack said:

The box anchor is too big  to store on my boat so its only used for camping

Is yours a non-folding type?  Even for the large ones, the folding box anchors don't take up a lot of space.

I have a box anchor (I think the medium), and while it holds great, I think it is a pain in the a.  Yes it folds up, but it is still pretty heavy.  If I were to buy it again, I would go with the baby.  Plenty of holding power unless you are leaving it out overnight in a windy area (which I personally will no longer do).

On 7/27/2022 at 3:00 PM, oldjeep said:

Curious how a mushroom anchor takes less space than a folded box anchor in it's bag?

A Picture worth A thousand words

IMG_8434.JPG

Edited by Rack
  • Like 2

The Box anchor in my Photo was one of the first renditions. 

I picked this up in the early 90's from the original builder in a Barn in Ventura county CA.

He only made one size at the time. So you may have a smaller version of this but the one I have must be the large one.

Because my Boat is a early1992 Sunsetter DD there is very little room to store this Dangerous hunk of steel on Board.

Edited by Rack

Yeah, that's a big one.  The small version will be far more compact and hold far better than that mushroom anchor.  I use a large since I sometimes have people tying up, but the small holds quite well for just me.

I setmy box anchor a coupke weeks ago on an extremely windy day and when we went to pull anchor and leave it took everything I had and the boat powered gorward to finally break it free from the bottom. Its great it held tight but the anchor line was stretching so much I was afraid it would snap. Props to the anchor for doing its job but was worried I was gonna lose my anchor! 

• 8 months later...

Might want to get the accoutrements while you’re at it. I have a Danik to adjust for depth and aluminum snap link on the very end for insurance. I also spliced the nylon flags at 10’ and 5’ as a warning to not smack the hull if I have to pull it up at night. The pool lane float turned out to be a money saver if/when it all goes overboard at some point. I have a good story about that. :Doh:

368EE738-BF36-4666-86F0-D75DFAFD8280.jpeg

Edited by wdr
  • Like 3
  • 3 months later...
NorCalSurfer

I used the Box Anchor for the first time this weekend, twice. While it is big and a little awkward once setup, it worked great. Both times I tossed it in the water and it held immediately. The second time I used it there was a little wind and I watched another boat with a traditional anchor try 5 times to set anchor to just finally give up and take off. 

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for box anchor. For my 22 LSV, I use a small box anchor with a anchor buddy (with another 40' line in parallel) for anchoring during the day. If anchoring overnight in areas with lots of wind (aka Powell) I use a large box anchor with a 3/8" nylon line (no anchor buddy).

If you have a newer boat with the white plastic transom seat trays, underneath them is a great spot to keep a folded box anchor in a bag. I put mine under the port side to help our regular wave. When it's time to drop anchor, I jump back there, open the seat, pull the tray, and assemble the anchor on top of the bag on the swim platform. Drop it in the water and walk the line up to the bow to attach. Reverse the operation for pulling anchor. Works great and keeps the anchor out of the inside of the boat.