Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RLX Barefooter

areamike

Alrighty ya'll I have a few questions about my "new" boat.

1. Impeller. Is this the impeller I need for a 365HH Indmar?

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/d...29530&fcat=

I've been told the Johnson brand is better than the Jabsco. I've also been told to have one of these as a spare, just in case.

2. Higher octane fuel. The recommended octane for this motor is 89. The previous owner tried running 87 last year when gas prices went up and said he saw a considerable difference in motor performance. He also said I do not need to run 90 or 92 octane as it burns hotter and can cause a burnt valve(s) in the long run. So I guess I'll go with the 89?

3. Check list? Is there anything I need to know prior to launching her this spring? Oil was changed before end of season last year. Gas has been treated with StaBil.

4. Turn down exhaust tips. I'd like to replace the straight SS exhaust tips with turn down ones. Anyone know where I can find these?

5. I am considering installing the Insulated motor box kit. I am worried about heat. I have read that another owner was worried as well and ran a heat test on the motor and there was literally zero change form before to after the motor box insulation addition. Should I have peace of mind where overheating is concerned?

6. Vinyl repair. There is one "major" hole in the vinyl on the entire interior. It is right in the middle top of the motor box. I was made aware of this prior to the purchase, but it in no way swayed my decision. Is there a place I can find a "Malibu" emblem or patch. You know the Malibu emblem on the front of the motor box? If I could find one of those, it would go perfectly over the hole. Otherwise, I have been advised to have a professional repair it or buy a new skin. From what I have heard, vinyl repair kits suck.

Thanks,

mike

Here is what I know...

1. Impeller. Is this the impeller I need for a 365HH Indmar?

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/d...29530&fcat=

I've been told the Johnson brand is better than the Jabsco. I've also been told to have one of these as a spare, just in case.

As a spare I keep one that is used but not too damaged, at least it can help me past the weekend, but I guess a new one if even better and you will have to change it anyways someday...

2. Higher octane fuel. The recommended octane for this motor is 89. The previous owner tried running 87 last year when gas prices went up and said he saw a considerable difference in motor performance. He also said I do not need to run 90 or 92 octane as it burns hotter and can cause a burnt valve(s) in the long run. So I guess I'll go with the 89?

Hint...Don't know about US gas prices, but here in Canada, I save 2.5 cents a liter buy mixing half 91 Octane with half 87.

3. Check list? Is there anything I need to know prior to launching her this spring? Oil was changed before end of season last year. Gas has been treated with StaBil.

4. Turn down exhaust tips. I'd like to replace the straight SS exhaust tips with turn down ones. Anyone know where I can find these?

Get the STE form Smoothwaterman (PM him), he has somme for 299$ a pair I beleive and he will ship to your location (shipping not included but charges a very reasonable price)

5. I am considering installing the Insulated motor box kit. I am worried about heat. I have read that another owner was worried as well and ran a heat test on the motor and there was literally zero change form before to after the motor box insulation addition. Should I have peace of mind where overheating is concerned?

I think, and correct me if I am wrong anyone, that the purpose of the insulation is for the noise, not the heat dissipation.

6. Vinyl repair. There is one "major" hole in the vinyl on the entire interior. It is right in the middle top of the motor box. I was made aware of this prior to the purchase, but it in no way swayed my decision. Is there a place I can find a "Malibu" emblem or patch. You know the Malibu emblem on the front of the motor box? If I could find one of those, it would go perfectly over the hole. Otherwise, I have been advised to have a professional repair it or buy a new skin. From what I have heard, vinyl repair kits suck.

Depending on how big the rip, I have a RBF domed sticker that I could give you. This might do if the rip is perfectly centered. Can you post a picture?

Yup, pretty sure insulation is just a noise thing. Motor might cool down slower after shut down with more insulation but so what.

Ya, keep an implellar on board and the wrench needed to change it. Unless you know the one you have now is pretty new I would change it right away and keep the old one in your bilge for a spare. That way you know you have the tools and know how to fix in a hurry later. After a change be sure you pull the lower hose from your tranny cooler to check for junk, especially if the old one is missing pieces. Then check again after a couple hours in case more pieces found their way up the hose. Symptoms of a blown one besides high engine temp is that you will have zippo acceleration as there is an interlock governor switch that keeps you at idle when too hot.

Things to check, sometimes people that winterize leave some hose clamps loose so check all the hose clamps for tightness. Fully charged battery with clean terminals. Just pretty basic stuff.

On fuel, avoid gas that has any ethanol if you can do that where you are at. It spoils faster and is slightly more explosive. Where I am at the only non-ethanol I can get is 92 octane so thats what I run even tho 87 works fine in my monsoon engine.

On that hole, looks like an applicatoin for what you learned in your DuctTape-101 class. :)

Or maybe a malibu sticker with some good glue.

Here is a link to a picture of my sticker Link to picture

I wrote the dimensions on it, don't know if it will cover properly?

Maybe if you can get a small piece of vinyl, cut it in an oval shape and fill the top hole in the "B"? You could then cover a surface of

2 1/4" x 1 7/8".

Edited by 1FootDan

For the impellor you might want to check out the Globe “run dry” impellors. They cost only slightly more than a regular impellor, but are supposed to be made of a much better material. They claim they can be run dry for 15 minutes before burning up, where regular impellors will burn up much quicker. Should last longer under normal operating conditions too.

Here’s a link where you can order them: http://www.defender.com

Here’s a link to a previous discussion on them http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....ic=2083&hl=

What I’m not sure which one you need. In fact, I’m having a tough time figuring out which one I need for a 2002 21LSV with a monsoon. I might have to ask :blush:

What I’m not sure which one you need. In fact, I’m having a tough time figuring out which one I need for a 2002 21LSV with a monsoon. I might have to ask :blush:
From that other "Run Dry Impeller" thread...
The Globe impeller to fit my boat (and any Indmar engine, I am told), is Globe #100J...However, the 100J is not listed on their website - you have to call the 800 number and get them to order that model from Globe. That impeller will fit all Malibu boat raw water pumps...

For cross reference purposes...

Johnson Pumps # 09-812B

Jabsco # 13554-0001

Here is a link to a picture of my sticker Link to picture

I wrote the dimensions on it, don't know if it will cover properly?

Maybe if you can get a small piece of vinyl, cut it in an oval shape and fill the top hole in the "B"? You could then cover a surface of

2 1/4" x 1 7/8".

Sticker looks cool.

How good does it stick? Also, it's just the letters right? No background sticker? So I would need to knwo if one of the letters will actually cover the hole.

Chadwick,

thanks for the link. I have been looking for that type of impeller for some time now. A friend mentioned them, but i had not been able yo locate them. Now to find out which one I need.

Sticker looks cool.

How good does it stick? Also, it's just the letters right? No background sticker? So I would need to knwo if one of the letters will actually cover the hole.

Sorry Mike, I don't know how tu mesure stickyness??? Dontknow.gif It is actually a Domed number ordered from domednumbers.com. because in Canada we have less letters than in the US and that Domednumbers.com does not charge us any lees for that, I added RBF to my VIN so I could cut them off and stick em on my boat. They screwed up and didn't put the police in Italic like I asked, so they sent me new numbers (twice...) that are on my boat, that is why I have this. I guess that if you were to wash the vinyl with a bit of Ethanol and rinse toughrougly quickly after to remove any greasy leather product left on the vinyl, it should hold up pretty well, if not you could always glue it back later with some epoxy or rubber ciment type glue? There is no backround sticker. If you print the picture redimensionned to the mesures I wrote on the sticker, you should get a good idea.

I don't care where anyone sits as long as it is in a seat and that my a** is behind the boat footin'... :lol:

Edited by 1FootDan

areamike - Really nice looking boat. Because it is such a nice boat, if it were me I would have a really good upholstery shop replace that center panel or if they can't do the french stiching, I would get a whole new skin and have them put that on before you insulate the motor box. The boat is way to nice for anything less.

A good "HotRod" upholstery shop should be able to do it for a couple hundred.

Just my thought.

Thanks,

mike

areamike - Really nice looking boat. Because it is such a nice boat, if it were me I would have a really good upholstery shop replace that center panel or if they can't do the french stiching, I would get a whole new skin and have them put that on before you insulate the motor box. The boat is way to nice for anything less.

Just my thought.

I've been contemplating that option. I've been told I can get a new skin for around 200 to 250. 100 to have it installed. So that is not too unreasonable to keep the boat nice.

Just my thought.

I've been contemplating that option. I've been told I can get a new skin for around 200 to 250. 100 to have it installed. So that is not too unreasonable to keep the boat nice.

That's what I would do. Sometimes you got to keep an eye on people to make sure they don't use the motorbox as a work bench.

Mike,

You should check with Chee at malibu regarding a new skin for the motor box.

as for

#4. Turn down exhaust tips. I'd like to replace the straight SS exhaust tips with turn down ones. Anyone know where I can find these?

If you do end up finding them and would like to sell your old straight SS tips please let me know.

Thanks,

Danadog

Re motor box insulation.

Just a suggestion.... I would leave the small gap at the back of the motor box (above the drink holders) open. It's a small slit about 3/4" X 8". Will allow air feed to the motor box interior.

Re registration numbers. Are you changing numbers? PLEASE tell us you're getting the domed numbers!!! If you do, I posted a sure-fire method for installing without them looking goofy. Probably under Domed Numbers" thread somewhere.

Re impeller change: A couple of folks have posted info on the easy and the hard way to do it. The easy way involves binding lube, a quick "blp" of the starter with the impeller cover off, and a pair of long-nose needle-nose pliers. Works like a charm. Other methods take forever, bruise knuckles, and chew the daylights out of the old impeller.

Re downturned exhausts. From what I've read here, it's NOT just a bolt-on addition. It involves removing the gas tank to get access to the transom. Costs labor hours. What's your objective..... sound reduction. Suggest you consider the add-on's INSIDE the motor box. (Another thread here as well.)

Keeping the boat outside: Another set of posts on how to keep the cover from pooling water.

We have great ways to spend your money.....

I agree with Doug for most part but I would get the STE instead of the in-line. You can do it yourself and if you sell your old pipes to danadog, it will save you money because the in-line are the same price as the STE. Your call. Dontknow.gif

Edited by 1FootDan
I don't care where anyone else sits, as long as my a** is in the driver's seat! Yahoo.gif

I don't want to be in the driver's seat, I want to be hanging on behind the boat!

From that other "Run Dry Impeller" thread...
The Globe impeller to fit my boat (and any Indmar engine, I am told), is Globe #100J...However, the 100J is not listed on their website - you have to call the 800 number and get them to order that model from Globe. That impeller will fit all Malibu boat raw water pumps...

For cross reference purposes...

Johnson Pumps # 09-812B

Jabsco # 13554-0001

Thanks! I re-read that post a million times but missed it. Gona one and a few extras tomorrow.