Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Over the tower covers

barefootpaul

I'm looking for thoughts and experience on generic over the tower covers such as https://www.carvercovers.com/tournament-ski-boats-w-tower-full-coverage

spacer.png

spacer.png

My factory cover is getting tiresome. Leaks around the tower legs. Pools water even though I use the poles and crank it very tight. I have seen some of the custom over the tower covers here and I think they would be fantastic. Not ready to pony up for something custom though. Thinking something like this might be a nice middle ground. Boat sits on a lift with access on both sides.

I've used over the tower covers on my covered lift for 10+ years. IME, get a fitted one. The loose ones will eventually skuff the gel coat from the wind beating it against the hull. The good covers will last for years.

Dallas Canvas

8 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I've used over the tower covers on my covered lift for 10+ years. IME, get a fitted one. The loose ones will eventually skuff the gel coat from the wind beating it against the hull. The good covers will last for years.

Dallas Canvas

Thanks for the advice. What's a $$ ballpark on a custom one?

I might be more tolerant of a little gel scuffing on my 14 year old boat than others. Thought I also prefer to do things right the first time.

4 hours ago, barefootpaul said:

Thanks for the advice. What's a $$ ballpark on a custom one?

I might be more tolerant of a little gel scuffing on my 14 year old boat than others. Thought I also prefer to do things right the first time.

I think there are prices at that link.

I finally ordered one from Dallas Canvas.  They can customize several things once you call.  Prices are online as already stated.  My quoted lead time was 2-3 weeks.  

13 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Dallas Canvas

luv that material they use that you can hose or wet cloth wipe off

23 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I finally ordered one from Dallas Canvas.  They can customize several things once you call.  Prices are online as already stated.  My quoted lead time was 2-3 weeks.  

you will luv it, i have an over the tower down cover made custom patterned on my boat from them, the vinylized material is so easy to clean  

Commercial Sewing (they supplied my factory Malibu cover) makes a cover for a folded tower. No velcro, no leaks. I paid $1300

spacer.png

Olddognewtricks

Thanks for this thread.   Also interested in an over the tower cover for sitting on a lift.   

question for those of you that have one of these: how does it compare to the factory under the tower cover in ease of putting it on.    
After a couple of months of on and off with the factory cover I’m about ready to bite the bullet on the automatic one!

1 hour ago, Olddognewtricks said:

Thanks for this thread.   Also interested in an over the tower cover for sitting on a lift.   

question for those of you that have one of these: how does it compare to the factory under the tower cover in ease of putting it on.    
After a couple of months of on and off with the factory cover I’m about ready to bite the bullet on the automatic one!

@Slurpee has a cool hoist storage system for his over the tower cover. These covers are a little more trouble putting them on and off than a factory cover because the cover has to go over the Bimini. 

1 hour ago, Olddognewtricks said:

I thought that too until I had a Touchless Cover quoted.  Over $12K!

I roll the cover up from the back, front, and then the sides and drop the boat out from under it.  The cover is REALLY heavy so I'm not going to throw that thing up and down all the time.  This makes it really easy.  I just clip the cables onto the corners that are hanging right there after rolling the cover up and drop it down.  It's even easier to put the cover back on.  Just pull down the sides and drag the front and back into position and cinch.01C6A74D-CBB0-4A2A-BE0B-2F12F77A1DB3.thumb.jpeg.40b12a38eee1de3c06bb27d5de340e6f.jpeg

1DA7A7A1-4D7F-47E0-A765-5669F68BB0C4.thumb.jpeg.c69b142905e842606386c2a747c72c91.jpeg

88EE4685-E6B3-4555-BFAF-ECC2ACD26974.thumb.jpeg.245744593b7f8155a39d256eaefef741.jpeg

• Like 2
23 hours ago, hethj7 said:

I thought that too until I had a Touchless Cover quoted.  Over $12K!

Ha! I just did the exact same thing - see those all over our lake, and have a friend who really likes his.  Figured maybe $2500 - but it was $12k!  I see some boathouses here with 3 of them installed - unbelievable.  Too rich for my blood!

15 minutes ago, Leftlane said:

Ha! I just did the exact same thing - see those all over our lake, and have a friend who really likes his.  Figured maybe $2500 - but it was $12k!  I see some boathouses here with 3 of them installed - unbelievable.  Too rich for my blood!

I didn’t expect it to be cheap but figured maybe $7-8K, but I was shocked at $12K.  

For the most part, my boat gets covered on the dock to prevent pollen build up, bird droppings, and for spider webs and their associated turds. I bet it will work on the pollen, but I find it hard to believe that the Touchless Covers will prevent spider activity. I've had nightmares about getting robbed for $12k and still dealing with the spider sign. 

Strongly considering the @Slurpee set up. Thanks for posting the pictures as this pretty much is what my mental pictures looked like already! 

Slurpee - Who made your cover? 

I also hated all the bird droppings and other stains.  Bought this cheap one off amazon for $293 and it works for what I needed.  Boat is a M220 and it covers the swim platform with the bimini extended.  Probably would do the same on a 23LSV.  Free returns so it was worth a shot.

image.thumb.png.f59750c4e9c1a6b6356b2316775747af.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KG13M4E/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2