Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Weight distribution hitches for boats

platon20

Just bought a 2022 Wakesetter 24 MXZ which has a dry weight of 6000 lb.

Total towed weight including fuel, accessories, and trailer weight is going to be around 9000 lb.

I have an F150 truck with max tow option which has max limit of 13,200

For this setup some say I dont need a WD hitch but the Malibu manual highly recommends it.

The problem I'm having is that most of the weight distribution hitches out there don't fit boat trailers.  They are designed to fit RV or other type trailers that have a V type tongue.  Boat trailers have a Y type which forces you to attach both support bars of the WD hitch on the main tongue.  

WD hitch attached to traditional trailer with V type

spacer.png'

Boat trailer with Y type

boat-trailer-custom-kcb-1800-60-gl.jpg

I did find one company (https://www.equalizerhitch.com/) which says their WD hitches can be used on Y type boat trailers.  Am I supposed to attach both support bars to the straight tongue?  It seems like that would defeat the purpose of using the WD hitch in the first place.

Anybody here use a WD hitch on their boat and can show pics of the setup?

The Malibu manual says that or the Ford manual?  

I went through this on my 2016 - I think I recall finding a WDH that would work - keep in mind they need to be surge brake compatible too.  Honestly though after all the research, extra cost, calling Malibu, etc. I gave up. 

I thought I remembered reading that WDH wasn’t recommended with the Malibu trailer? Or maybe that was BoatMate?  Either way, I’d look at that first. 

If you have surge brakes, I’d highly recommend changing to some sort of electric system (I have straight electric and I love it). 

Depending on frequency of towing, distance, and terrain, I personally would ask myself how committed I was to a 150/1500. If you tow a lot, upgrading to a HD will be a much better towing experience. 

All 1/2 ton trucks require weight distribution hitches above 5000 lbs. Don't believe me, look up the manuals. Truck manufacturers are very sneaky with their 1/2 ton ratings. Toyota is extra sneaky as they don't make weight carrying vs weight distributing numbers easily searchable.

Y vs V type tongue doesn't matter for a simple weight distribution setup. The V type matters for anti-sway bars which generally aren't necessary for boats (boats are inherently more stable than travel trailers). The purpose of the WDH is to transfer weight from the rear axle to the front and trailer axles. Where the bars are doesn't matter for weight transfer.

Trailer manufacturers created a lot of FUD in years past saying that weight distribution hitches might cause the pivot point of folding tongue trailers to break in addition to potentially not working right with surge brake setups. They've since changed that stance and the last few years of folding tongue trailers can handle a weight distribution hitch.

If you really want to tow the 24MXZ with an F-150, you should convert to an EoH (electric over hydraulic) brake setup with a weight distribution setup. You can use something like this that will work with any weight distribution hitch: Pole tongue adapter. Pay attention to your payload as you won't be able to load much into the bed of your truck, if anything at all.

11 hours ago, Tsumi said:

All 1/2 ton trucks require weight distribution hitches above 5000 lbs. Don't believe me, look up the manuals. Truck manufacturers are very sneaky with their 1/2 ton ratings. Toyota is extra sneaky as they don't make weight carrying vs weight distributing numbers easily searchable.

Y vs V type tongue doesn't matter for a simple weight distribution setup. The V type matters for anti-sway bars which generally aren't necessary for boats (boats are inherently more stable than travel trailers). The purpose of the WDH is to transfer weight from the rear axle to the front and trailer axles. Where the bars are doesn't matter for weight transfer.

Trailer manufacturers created a lot of FUD in years past saying that weight distribution hitches might cause the pivot point of folding tongue trailers to break in addition to potentially not working right with surge brake setups. They've since changed that stance and the last few years of folding tongue trailers can handle a weight distribution hitch.

If you really want to tow the 24MXZ with an F-150, you should convert to an EoH (electric over hydraulic) brake setup with a weight distribution setup. You can use something like this that will work with any weight distribution hitch: Pole tongue adapter. Pay attention to your payload as you won't be able to load much into the bed of your truck, if anything at all.

2.7 xlt 4x2 f150 with its natural rake towing a very big boat regularly with very little squat and great handling.  extreme trailers have big problems but their ride isnt one of them so it works well, except 75+ equals 6.7-7.5 miles a gallon

5D1F004A-1094-497D-83E6-9E3F18B90391.png

Edited by granddaddy55

Update:  Found this section on Page 119 of the Malibu manual:

A weight-carrying hitch should be used for towing a Malibu trailer. No other hitch type meets the requirements for safely operating the trailer. The tow vehicle may have requirements regarding an acceptable hitch, so verify by reading the tow vehicle’s owner’s manual for direction. A weight-distributing hitch can be used, particularly in an emergency, but if the trailing arms are used, the Malibu trailer’s brakes will not operate.

13 hours ago, platon20 said:

Update:  Found this section on Page 119 of the Malibu manual:

Weight carrying != weight distributing.  Malibu is telling everyone with a 500 lb tongue weight capacity without WDH they need a bigger truck.

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

Weight carrying != weight distributing.  Malibu is telling everyone with a 500 lb tongue weight capacity without WDH they need a bigger truck.

Seems like a lot of CYA speak to me. The trailers can handle a weight distribution hitch and there are weight distribution hitches designed for surge brakes. In any case, a 7500 lbs trailer should be using EoH rather than surge brakes IMO.