Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear facing mirror location

PopsA22

What is your rear facing mirror mount location preference?  Port or starboard?  I've always had it starboard but see that many people choose Portside.  Why do you choose your side?

Port side windshield as close to the center window as possible. — clear field of view in front, and still easy to see behind. 

image.thumb.png.3698490310d3a1f0a6ba2abddd2eeb7f.png

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 2

I forget which exact setup but the PTM VR-140 with the carbon clamp setup I think.  Whatever it is, it is from the PTM lineup.  

Edited by hethj7

I have to have ours on the Starboard side, but added extensions to raise it up to clear the view forward.  With the PTM 140 on the port side, the view is not symmetrical and I cant see both sides equally.

How are the new tower mirrors?  I tried a tower mirror about 5 years ago on our Axis T23 and hated it.  Too much vibration made everything look blurry.  Just wondering if it is worth seeing if I can get one to try for our 25 LSV, or if there are still issues with tower vibration/movement.

Just got back from experimenting mirror options at Lake Havasu.  Moving it over on the port side was definitely better.  Thank you all for your input. 

• Like 2
On 7/17/2022 at 12:35 PM, familyfun said:

I have to have ours on the Starboard side, but added extensions to raise it up to clear the view forward.  With the PTM 140 on the port side, the view is not symmetrical and I cant see both sides equally.

How are the new tower mirrors?  I tried a tower mirror about 5 years ago on our Axis T23 and hated it.  Too much vibration made everything look blurry.  Just wondering if it is worth seeing if I can get one to try for our 25 LSV, or if there are still issues with tower vibration/movement.

What extension are you using?  I'm shopping for a mirror mount now as there aren't any tower mirror mounts that work with my new towers, and the old windshield bracket mirror I'm using is garbage.  I'd love something that would sit up higher.

On 7/23/2022 at 8:45 AM, Nitrousbird said:

What extension are you using?  I'm shopping for a mirror mount now as there aren't any tower mirror mounts that work with my new towers, and the old windshield bracket mirror I'm using is garbage.  I'd love something that would sit up higher.

I have a PTM mirror and they make extensions.  I bought two extensions which allows me to mount the mirror base close to the walkway end of the starboard windshield and have the mirror go up and curve to the right towards the center of the starboard windshield.  So the mount is to the left out of the way, but the mirror ends up almost in front of me but maybe 12-16" above the windshield ( will have to measure it).

9 minutes ago, familyfun said:

I have a PTM mirror and they make extensions.  I bought two extensions which allows me to mount the mirror base close to the walkway end of the starboard windshield and have the mirror go up and curve to the right towards the center of the starboard windshield.  So the mount is to the left out of the way, but the mirror ends up almost in front of me but maybe 12-16" above the windshield ( will have to measure it).

Nice.  It looks like I can get the extension on eBay for about $75/each if I go with the silver (cheapest way to go).  I think I might go that route.