Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diesel Fuel Tank Question

RyanB

So, for the 2nd time in 3 years, my in in-tank fuel pump on my RAM failed.  Happened two weeks ago pulling my boat on a 500 mile trip to vacation.  The good was it didn't leave us stranded, happened in probably the best possible place, and was able to limp into literally the last town with any mechanics for about 250 miles.

Dealer said that the fuel pumps are very reliable, and they don't know what is causing the problems.   

On the way home, I ran the 60 gallon RDS auxiliary tank dry, and looked into it before filling it today.  There is definitely contamination in the tank.  I am wondering if this is normal (since I can't see into my OEM tank, I really have no idea what is in there), or if this could be the root problem of my fuel pumps taking a dump?

The aux tank is plumbed into the filler tube, drops into the main fuel tank.  I am wondering if I should put in some sort of fuel filter to go between the aux tank and the OEM fuel tank?  If so, which would be the best way to do it?

FWIW, I almost always fill at the same station (which I will now change), and am good about changing my fuel filter every other oil change.

Thoughts?

On 7/13/2022 at 9:19 PM, RyanB said:

So, for the 2nd time in 3 years, my in in-tank fuel pump on my RAM failed.  Happened two weeks ago pulling my boat on a 500 mile trip to vacation.  The good was it didn't leave us stranded, happened in probably the best possible place, and was able to limp into literally the last town with any mechanics for about 250 miles.

Dealer said that the fuel pumps are very reliable, and they don't know what is causing the problems.   

On the way home, I ran the 60 gallon RDS auxiliary tank dry, and looked into it before filling it today.  There is definitely contamination in the tank.  I am wondering if this is normal (since I can't see into my OEM tank, I really have no idea what is in there), or if this could be the root problem of my fuel pumps taking a dump?

The aux tank is plumbed into the filler tube, drops into the main fuel tank.  I am wondering if I should put in some sort of fuel filter to go between the aux tank and the OEM fuel tank?  If so, which would be the best way to do it?

FWIW, I almost always fill at the same station (which I will now change), and am good about changing my fuel filter every other oil change.

Thoughts?

RyanB

Here is a link 

bellperformance.com/fuel-and-tank-services/diesel-fuel-contamination

Edited by Rack

What year?

the 2018-2019 have the cp4 fuel pumps which are crap. I also highly recommend running fuel additive. The new “clean” diesel fuel has very limited lubricating properties compared to the older diesels. I run optilube summer blend in every tank. Cheap insurance for your pumps and injectors. Also boosts cetane levels which improve power and economy. 

Ram went back to the cp3 fuel pump because of the unreliability of the cp4. The crap in your tank doesn’t help either. 

2 hours ago, ThinBuLine said:

What year?

the 2018-2019 have the cp4 fuel pumps which are crap. I also highly recommend running fuel additive. The new “clean” diesel fuel has very limited lubricating properties compared to the older diesels. I run optilube summer blend in every tank. Cheap insurance for your pumps and injectors. Also boosts cetane levels which improve power and economy. 

Ram went back to the cp3 fuel pump because of the unreliability of the cp4. The crap in your tank doesn’t help either. 

Mine has the CP3.  And it isn't that pump that has been the problem, it is the in-tank pump.

I spoke with a diesel performance shop earlier this week and the recommended a simple in-line filter.  My nephew is a new diesel technician, and he is doing some research for me as well.  Stay tuned.

Yes, put a filter in the line that feeds the factory tank from the aux tank. A coworker recently had to pay Ford to repair his fuel system due to trash from aux tank. I always just put a simple in line filter on mine and have never had an issue with them.

• Like 2