Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Many classic Malibu owners out there

photoshop

88 Skier Here. Bought it last summer. Its my first boat. Its got 1200 hours on the engine and purrs like a kitten. I am starting this week in restoring the stringers and floorboards. Thats the only issue this boat has. I expect to have it another season or 2 but I dont see myself in anything other than "Bu" I will be upgrading at that point!

Wish me luck!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• photoshop

• 88Skier

• Malibudude

• LS-One

100_0691.jpg

88 Skier

Holy Cow '88

I had to do a double-take there and try to figure out where that picture of my boat was taken! :lol:

then i noticed the decals still in-tact on the side & stern.

nice boat you got thar! ;)

Hey 88, nicely done!!!! Love the colors...I'm thinking malibu comes out with the same color scheme as an option in 08!!!!!!! I saw almost the same boat last summer but it was really beat up...obviously not a proud Malibu owner!

What defines classic? 10, 15, 20 years?

Any DD.

The DDs sure have a classic ride that cannot be had in any other kind of boat. If you got to ask why the engine is in the middle, you just don't understand. Biggrin.gif

'98 Sunsetter LX with upgrades. It looks dated to me until I see the price of a new bu! Mad.gif

The side with decals:

DSC01367.JPG

The side without decals:

DSC01122.JPG

Yeah--Inquiring minds want to know.

My guess is they just ripped a water balloon with a two-man sling-shot. . .or there's a flock of geese using the tower for target practice. . .

You guys with older boats do you worry about dependability.Is there anything you do on a regular basis to keep you mind at ease?As my Malibu gets older I wonder if there is more I need to do to keep it runnin other than oil ,filter, tune up type stuff.

Thanks

Jeff

i have a 89 sunsetter also but unfortunately im in college and dont have the money to keep get her out of hibernation and put her on the water...plus the upholstry needs to be redone but it looks excellent and runs excellent for a 89 model.

You guys with older boats do you worry about dependability.Is there anything you do on a regular basis to keep you mind at ease?As my Malibu gets older I wonder if there is more I need to do to keep it runnin other than oil ,filter, tune up type stuff.

Thanks

Jeff

The older ones are probably more dendable than the newer ones, because they are more simple, and have less stuff that can break.

What type, size, pitch of prop do you have. I have an 87 sunsetter and am trying to find the best prop for the boat. What is original and what do you have? Thanks.

I had an '88 Sunsetter before my VLX. Great boat, never any issues.

f_boat_desc--524_647.jpg

Midnight blue/ gray colors, the Titan I tower, and no decals kept the boat from looking dated. The only things that gave away here age was the square windshield and the upholstory styling.

What type, size, pitch of prop do you have. I have an 87 sunsetter and am trying to find the best prop for the boat. What is original and what do you have? Thanks.

i have a 89 sunsetter also but unfortunately im in college and dont have the money to keep get her out of hibernation and put her on the water...plus the upholstry needs to be redone but it looks excellent and runs excellent for a 89 model.

Lang 350 - I have a four blade 531 for sale that will work fine for that boat. I changed from 3 blade to four on my 92 euro f3 and it did great. Took a little off the top, but if your wakeboarding it really helped alot out of the hole. pm me if interested, I'll make you a good deal.

Thanks

Jeff

The correlation on the engine hours to miles on a car is roughly 1000 hours = 100,000 miles. That does take in to account the difference in operating conditions, the boat running harder than a car in most all circumstances. FYI: 100,000 miles = 3333 hours @ 30 mph

Just be diligent about maintenance, oil / filter(s) / tune ups, etc. and you should be fine. I would make sure you check all exhaust manifold gaskets annually and if you detect a problem change asap, getting water back in to area's that it should not go will cause damage. Make sure the impeller is in good shape, that goes with any boat so that you keep it running at a proper water temperature. A quick compression / leak down test every so often will indicate the engine condition. Also, check the engine mount bolts to make sure they are tight and the engine stays aligned properly. All pretty simple stuff. Since the boat is in a high humidity environment, things like starters, alternators and batteries will require more service than average, but they certainly cost less than a new boat. Plug wires last a long time since the engine bay is pretty cool compared to a car. I keep my boat on a lift and drain the bilge when I come in every time, helps keep things clean and dry.