Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Budget stereo build install weekend

EchelonMike

Hi all, I am about to complete my budget stereo build in my 2008 Malibu 247 with a lot of input from this group.  I added a few components this week that should arrive tomorrow and allow me to complete my project...hopefully with good results.  The sub was my biggest debate.  For space/fit I went back and forth between the Kicker 8" tube and 10" tube.  The 10" is a bit too big for where I want to mount it.  I am going to try the 8" and see what sort of bass it can produce.  I got it from Crutchfield and if it doesn't deliver what I want, I'll move to the 10" and figure out space from there.   

My goal:  Low cost but with good components, and musically great sounding system, that can run cool and reliable for hours at a time on a normal dual battery set up.  Here is what I ended up with:

• Leaving the stock JBL black box stereo untouched/installed, but it's no longer in the flow of the audio
  • Memphis Audio MXAEQ7 EQ/Zone Control
  • JL Audio MBT-RX Bluetooth Adapter - Source for the Memphis Audio Controller
  • 8 Polk Audio DB652 6.5" two way speakers to replace the original speakers inside the boat
  • Rockford Fosgate R400 4 channel Amp powering all 8 in-boat speakers at 2 Ohm load with HPF enabled
  • JL Audio M3 7.7" speakers installed on the tower
  • Rockford Fosgate R250 4 channel amp bridged to run two channels to power the tower speakers @ 125W @ 4 Ohm; going to leave full range vs HPF
  • Kicker 46CWTB82 8", 2 Ohm tube sub with 8" passive radiator mounted to the kick plate under the helm
  • Kicker 46CXA400.1T mono amp @ 300W RMS @ 2 Ohm to the sub with LPF enabled.   12 db, 80 Hz crossover

I'll update the post with pics and initial thoughts when I get back from the lake install!

-- Mike

9 hours ago, EchelonMike said:

going to leave full range vs HPF

HP is the better option, especially for an infinite-baffle speaker in a small sealed enclosed tower pod. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, MLA said:

HP is the better option, especially for an infinite-baffle speaker in a small sealed enclosed tower pod. 

OK thank you for that feedback, I will set it up as HPF!