Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Garage Ventilation

vaporbluebu

I built this garage last spring. Without thinking it through I did not install any windows or fresh air ventilation, but I do have a large ceiling fan over the back of the boat. When we put the boat away the moisture stays in the garage and it is very humid and would take a long time to dry. I will usually leave the door open a few inches but I don't like doing that because I don't want an animal to make its self at home in there. What ideas do you have for fresh air ventilation? Would a hole in the side of the garage with some mesh to keep the critters out be enough? An exhaust fan? A hole and an exhaust fan? Thanks in advance!

Boat Garage.jpg

I would put an automatic humidity sensing exhaust fan in there - exhaust to the rear.

Edited by gahvey

I put a dehumidifier in mine and the drain hose goes under the door seal. it keeps the humidity low year around. 

Also did you drywall inside of yours? Mine is 24' x 32' x 12'. I've got 1 window and an 18' x 10' overhead door. I just finished insulating the walls and getting ready to frame and drywall the ceiling so i can blow in insulation. 

32 minutes ago, jd8181 said:

I put a dehumidifier in mine and the drain hose goes under the door seal. it keeps the humidity low year around. 

Also did you drywall inside of yours? Mine is 24' x 32' x 12'. I've got 1 window and an 18' x 10' overhead door. I just finished insulating the walls and getting ready to frame and drywall the ceiling so i can blow in insulation. 

Yes, we did blow in insulation as well and then drywall on the walls. For the ceiling we used a reflective foam board to help reflect the lights and make it nice and bright inside. The foam board does have a little R value as well helping with insulation.

You want to remove the humidity, and if it's humid outside pulling that air in does not help.  So I suggest two wall mounted ductless A/C units.

5 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

You want to remove the humidity, and if it's humid outside pulling that air in does not help.  So I suggest two wall mounted ductless A/C units.

Not humid at all. Northern Utah…it’s a desert. I think bringing in outside air will work just fine.

We had a boat bay for the 3rd car garage in our last house and the door going up and down on the two car was enough fresh air to never get stagnant humid air trapped in there. This garage is boat only so never really open the door until we are going to use it again.

Edited by vaporbluebu

If you have an entry door, put a screen door on it and leave that closed with the door open and the fan on the boat.

Honestly, though, @gahvey has it right.  A Cloudline T6 or T8 fan and a vent in the gable will do the job nicely.  Fresh air will sneak in around the big door.

I got a surplus T8 for my son to use to control humidity under his crawl space in central Florida.  They are really nice fans.

• Like 1