Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 Boat Quality Issues

Brandonloos21

Anyone running into issues to get Malibu to cover gelcoat problems?  I have 22' A22.  I'm on round 3 of gel issues:

Picked up the boat Oct 21 - noticed right from the factory there were 2 rough areas where the top half of the hull meet the bottom.  Both being interior edges visible with bow cushions removed.  They repaired this under warranty winter 21/22.

Fall 22 - Putting away boat for year, notice there are spots in the nose where it looks like there must have been bubbles in the gelcoat that cracked.  Each about the size of a nickel.  Malibu covered this repair.

Summer/Fall 23 - Noticed there are spider cracks where my feet are in the driver area.  Gelcoat company is saying that upon looking at those, they also found similar cracks around subwoofer housing and other spots in the cockpit area.  Waiting to get pictures on those.  Dealer just told me that Malibu says they will only cover them if structural.  Catch is, gelcoat shop need to sand into them to tell.  If they are not structural, dealer says I would be on the hook for $3.5k.

Mechanically the boat has been solid.  Has about 120 hrs on it.

I feel like the gel on the top half of my boat has something funky going on.  Wasn't done correctly.  No known issues on lower half or outside hull.

1 hour ago, theloungelife said:

Anyone running into issues to get Malibu to cover gelcoat problems?  I have 22' A22.  I'm on round 3 of gel issues:

Picked up the boat Oct 21 - noticed right from the factory there were 2 rough areas where the top half of the hull meet the bottom.  Both being interior edges visible with bow cushions removed.  They repaired this under warranty winter 21/22.

Fall 22 - Putting away boat for year, notice there are spots in the nose where it looks like there must have been bubbles in the gelcoat that cracked.  Each about the size of a nickel.  Malibu covered this repair.

Summer/Fall 23 - Noticed there are spider cracks where my feet are in the driver area.  Gelcoat company is saying that upon looking at those, they also found similar cracks around subwoofer housing and other spots in the cockpit area.  Waiting to get pictures on those.  Dealer just told me that Malibu says they will only cover them if structural.  Catch is, gelcoat shop need to sand into them to tell.  If they are not structural, dealer says I would be on the hook for $3.5k.

Mechanically the boat has been solid.  Has about 120 hrs on it.

I feel like the gel on the top half of my boat has something funky going on.  Wasn't done correctly.  No known issues on lower half or outside hull.

Gelcoat company - that Malibu sent you to?  Seems like it would be up to Malibu to determine if there is a structural issue before causing damage that you have to pay for.  That being said, unless Malibu has changed their ways since 2012 - they don't chamfer any of the holes they drill for mounting things so you get gel cracks that start at screw holes.

@oldjeep it's a local gelcoat company that my Malibu dealer works with.  I agree though that they should determine, not me needing to take a bet where I could own money if it doesn't a determination doesn't go my way.

This is what they are seeing in a couple places.  If they won't fix it, I think I might just leave as is.  Not going to take a $3.5K bet.  If they get worse, then it just strengthens the case that they are structural and can then be covered.  Maybe just the boat breaking in, but still not fun to see on something that cost over $100k with 120 hours on it.

Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 3.37.30 PM.png