Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 Boat Quality Issues

Wondering if you guys have had similar experiences as we have. 

We bought a new 2021 23 LSV, and just recently traded it up for a 2022 23 LSV. 

The 2022 we have experienced many more quality issues. They include cracks in the inside of the hill (fiberglass and gel cracks), screen not programmed for correct features, depth and temp transducer not working, throttle issues, board rack missing elements, chips in the center hull hatch, and bimini ripped from factory. Boat is still able to be used and operated. 

The only issue our 2021 had from factory was a broken wedge actuator, which was able to be easily replaced. 

Our dealer has been wonderful in the efforts to fix and make everything right, I just find it somewhat crazy malibu had let all of these things through their QC process. 

Have you guys seen similar things on your 2022 (compared to past new boats)?

1 minute ago, Brandonloos21 said:

The 2022 we have experienced many more quality issues. They include cracks in the inside of the hill (fiberglass and gel cracks), screen not programmed for correct features, depth and temp transducer not working, throttle issues, board rack missing elements, chips in the center hull hatch, and bimini ripped from factory. Boat is still able to be used and operated. 

The only issue our 2021 had from factory was a broken wedge actuator, which was able to be easily replaced. 

Our dealer has been wonderful in the efforts to fix and make everything right, I just find it somewhat crazy malibu had let all of these things through their QC process. 

My 2019 23LSV was a mess from the factory. It took a year to get everything fixed up.  I heard 20/21's were better... sorry to hear that they have regressed in 22. :-/

• Like 1

My buddy has a 22 M220 and he has several gelcoat issues like you are talking about.  I’ve heard the 20/21 quality control was much better. My 2020 23 MXZ has had very little issues and only one gel coat issue that’s half the size of a dime. 

Like I tell all my buddies, all these boats were made on a Friday. There is only a small amount of Malibu factory workers that actually care about the quality. Just pump them out as fast as you can. 

Edited by dwc032
  • Like 1

Yes.  My 2022  25LSV has more problems than my 2021 24MXZ.  I am not thrilled about it.  gel coat issues, engine (LT4) issues , electronic gremlins , etc...  :(

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Chattwake said:

My 2022 25 lsv has been flawless.

That’s awesome to hear!

20 hours ago, Brandonloos21 said:

How do these issues make it past the dealer?  They delivered a boat to you with a ripped bimini?  With the board racks missing parts?  

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

How do these issues make it past the dealer?  They delivered a boat to you with a ripped bimini?  With the board racks missing parts?  

Also a great question. I know they’re swamped with services, prepping and getting new boats out, getting used boats out, and probably hit with labor shortages as well. 

I believe there was a gel coat issue with the boat they had to fix as well, so perhaps it slipped by them?

All in all, there shouldn’t be any excuses. In my position, things like this wouldn’t pass through our quality control. 

Given, the interior hull cracks are cracks that need fixed. Boat is functional and I’d rather have taken delivery when we did and get fixed over winter than lose a month of boating due to them having it fixed asap. 

Edited by Brandonloos21
18 hours ago, Gene3x said:

Yes.  My 2022  25LSV has more problems than my 2021 24MXZ.  I am not thrilled about it.  gel coat issues, engine (LT4) issues , electronic gremlins , etc...  :(

What LT4 issues?  I'm getting a overheat / temp code on my M240. 

@TURNITREDRead my LT4 problems thread.  I am getting reduced power where I cannot get it on plane for wakeboarding with full ballast and 3 or more people.   No it is not in limp mode and the dealership cannot figure it out.  It is like the supercharger is not kicking in but it feels software related.

On 6/23/2022 at 8:46 AM, TURNITRED said:

follow up on this.  I took some time to inspect my LT4, and I think the overheat issues were due to sea strainer not being on tight.  I ran the boat a while and when i shut it off water started seaping out of the sea strainer.  I tightened that up and test drove it, ( have not surfed behind it) but didn't get an overheat code.  The real test will be when i load it down for surfing this weekend.  I have to figure though that if water can get through, air surely could as well and i could have been not priming the cooling system all the way.  

On 6/26/2022 at 2:20 PM, Gene3x said:

@TURNITREDRead my LT4 problems thread.  I am getting reduced power where I cannot get it on plane for wakeboarding with full ballast and 3 or more people.   No it is not in limp mode and the dealership cannot figure it out.  It is like the supercharger is not kicking in but it feels software related.

I've had a similar problem on my LT4 2020 M240. The fix was a clogged air filter on mine. Try running it without the air filter just to see. Mine had no power and no codes. It seemed crazy that a low hour boat would have a completely clogged air filter and probably was supposed to be cleaned at the 50 hour service my dealer did.

On 6/23/2022 at 8:46 AM, TURNITRED said:

Have you replaced your impeller and if so checked for any debris? I had an impeller go at 40 hours. on my 2020 LT4.