Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 Boat Quality Issues

Brandonloos21

42 minutes ago, roonedoggie said:

So Malibu confirmed that the boat hydro locked...... but it was not due to cracked manifold.  Basically water traveled back through the exhaust system.  They compression tested the boat after water was evacuated. Compression test was good.  They had to replace the starter since it basically burned up while trying to start a hydro locked motor.  Boat is running now and hope of get out surfing this weekend. I did take the boat to the ramp and started right up.  Good thing we have a 5 year warranty, the reason I get new boats every 3-4 years.  I am nervous that the boat will be unreliable at the most inopportune moment. Now I am being picky and again the dealership has been great... when I asked if they lake tested, not Malibu's protocol. The dealership would have to get authorization to do the lake test. Again dealership is great, they followed protocol and I am not without a boat for a month.  As I stated earlier in this thread, this is my 15th Malibu since 1997 and firs time I have had any problems other then normal wear and tear.  I just would not think that the fake a lake approach that is done in the shop would simulate the same scenario that when the hydro lock occurred. Numbers game I guess... Go Malibu!!!!

thats good news...but anyone offer theories on why it hydrolocked in the first place so you can avoid a repeat?  rogue wave/water conditions? freak rainwater collection somehow? hole in the exhaust somewhere?  crazy angle on the boatramp/trailer that sunk everything too low?  i think i've heard of there being this risk eventually if you over-ballast (doesn't centurion have some preventative measure now with their newer boats cause they are sinking them so much?).  Just curious if there is a lesson/root cause we can look for/learn from...or just bad luck.

According to my dealer… Malibu released another new software update earlier today. I haven’t tried yet, but it’s sitting in my inbox. I’m gonna wait because my boat is running well right now. 

On 7/19/2022 at 9:50 PM, ndahlberg12 said:

I am having similar issues and more. When you load, do you take your d ring all the way to the roller?

I do....now that I think about it....if its not all the way there, the boat bounces.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, FX41 said:

I do....now that I think about it....if its not all the way there, the boat bounces.

If I run the D ring all the way up to the roller, just as I have done with every boat I have ever loaded. The boat will not sit in the front 2 bunks. 

1 minute ago, ndahlberg12 said:

If I run the D ring all the way up to the roller, just as I have done with every boat I have ever loaded. The boat will not sit in the front 2 bunks. 

Same...Maybe the just like the first foot closes to the winch of the forward bunks has the boat resting on it. 

VancouverIslan

I just did a search for “Malibu quality issues” because it seems to be an epidemic in my area.  I’ve had 4 Malibu boats over the years and each has had a few quality issues covered by warranty and not too big a deal with the 2016 25 LSV being the best.  Over the past 2 years, a number of my friends have purchased new boats and they are showing up from the factory with issues - some of them major.  I was out with a friend in his 2022 M22 and the transmission completely failed - 12 hours on the boat.  Another friend had the computer replaced last summer and the new computer failed within hours at the start of this season.  Lots of stories of boats being delivered to the dealer with deficiencies.  It’s sad to see because I’m a huge fan of Malibu and seeing many people switching to Nautique.  Also, PLEASE Malibu… stop copying Nautique interior features… over kill on the step in options while sacrificing the comfort and feel of the interior… bring back the curved and continuous rear seats… signature Malibu and everyone’s favorite place to sit in those curved back corners.  I want to order a new 26LSV but just can’t pull the trigger while Malibu is knowingly sending problems out for the dealers to take care of.  

On 7/11/2022 at 1:57 PM, roonedoggie said:

This past week took my family up to Broken Bow for a couple days of surfing. We put 8 hours on the boat and not one problem. This past week I was installing my new stereo and had a bad wet sounds amp so no stereo while we were at Broken Bow.  My guess is similar theme, not stereo, not additional voltage strain on the boat.  Just got new amp installed yesterday. Will be interesting to see if my issues return when we ride this week with a fully functioning stereo,... Fingers Crossed.  FYI, Malibu engineers have authorized the dealership to start trouble shooting the issues which include wiring harnesses, connections, etc.  What is interesting it feels like the our dealer had to convince Malibu it was not user error?! After all the notes on this thread it just baffles me where the disconnect with Corporate Malibu and the dealer network.  I work in corporate America and understand the politics... just disappointing that a product I have been buying since 1997 does not have a path or process forward to improve quality.  

I just want to be clear that this is not a reflection of the employees at my local dealership. I see the employees giving up the good fight and trying their best to work in a system that appears to be disconnected with the consumers. 

The amp for my tower speakers on 2022 23 lsv started cutting out. Blinking numerous error codes. Took it to the dealer and showed them the videos of the amp issue. Got it back today with a the software update and they claimed it fixed the amp issue. After 5 minutes on the water, issue recurred and speakers cut out! So perhaps it is a widespread issue. I already notified the dealer their work was crap. 

also, the volts are running at 14.9 now, previously it stayed at 14.1-14.2. It’s concerning to see them that high. 

7 minutes ago, COOP said:

Telling the dealer that their work is crap is not a good way to get them on your side. Most of the techs are not audio guys, and for warranty we have go with what Malibu suggests in many cases. 

Incoming post March 2022:

”My dealer said I cant get my boat summarized until late May early June but I see that they already have pulled a bunch of other boats out and summarized them”

• Like 1

So far so good.  

I think I had three issues that were compounding.  One was the software update that the boat needed (yes @hethj7you need a usb to do this) Two, I did have a bad o2 sensor and three, my house batteries were low.   After addressing all issues I had an uneventful morning on the lake.   Hopefully it will last. 

• Like 3
21 hours ago, VancouverIslan said:

I just did a search for “Malibu quality issues” because it seems to be an epidemic in my area.  I’ve had 4 Malibu boats over the years and each has had a few quality issues covered by warranty and not too big a deal with the 2016 25 LSV being the best.  Over the past 2 years, a number of my friends have purchased new boats and they are showing up from the factory with issues - some of them major.  I was out with a friend in his 2022 M22 and the transmission completely failed - 12 hours on the boat.  Another friend had the computer replaced last summer and the new computer failed within hours at the start of this season.  Lots of stories of boats being delivered to the dealer with deficiencies.  It’s sad to see because I’m a huge fan of Malibu and seeing many people switching to Nautique.  Also, PLEASE Malibu… stop copying Nautique interior features… over kill on the step in options while sacrificing the comfort and feel of the interior… bring back the curved and continuous rear seats… signature Malibu and everyone’s favorite place to sit in those curved back corners.  I want to order a new 26LSV but just can’t pull the trigger while Malibu is knowingly sending problems out for the dealers to take care of.  

Malibu has problems, no doubt.  As does MC and Nautique.  I recently demoed an XT24 that had .1 hours on it and the center tab wasn't working.  My neighbor has a 2022 G23 and at 20 hours the transmission failed. 

• Like 3

I sound like a broken record and am not trying to excuse Malibu, but jumping from Malibu to Brand X likely isn’t to yield much better results.  You may end up with issues there as well.   And you also may end up with a completely trouble free boat from Malibu or Brand X.  

Yesterday my buddy left the Nautique  dealer (after 1.5 days for a .5 day repair) to fix a failed thruster that had multiple issues.  It quit working again within 50’ of the dealer dock.   

• Like 3
On 7/29/2022 at 9:58 AM, COOP said:

Telling the dealer that their work is crap is not a good way to get them on your side. Most of the techs are not audio guys, and for warranty we have go with what Malibu suggests in many cases. 

Understood. I didn’t actually tell them that, just that obviously I was frustrated as I was assured the issue was resolved. Working through it with them now and they are making a solid effort to troubleshoot and resolve the issue. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 9:05 PM, roonedoggie said:

So Malibu confirmed that the boat hydro locked...... but it was not due to cracked manifold.  Basically water traveled back through the exhaust system.  They compression tested the boat after water was evacuated. Compression test was good.  They had to replace the starter since it basically burned up while trying to start a hydro locked motor.  Boat is running now and hope of get out surfing this weekend. I did take the boat to the ramp and started right up.  Good thing we have a 5 year warranty, the reason I get new boats every 3-4 years.  I am nervous that the boat will be unreliable at the most inopportune moment. Now I am being picky and again the dealership has been great... when I asked if they lake tested, not Malibu's protocol. The dealership would have to get authorization to do the lake test. Again dealership is great, they followed protocol and I am not without a boat for a month.  As I stated earlier in this thread, this is my 15th Malibu since 1997 and firs time I have had any problems other then normal wear and tear.  I just would not think that the fake a lake approach that is done in the shop would simulate the same scenario that when the hydro lock occurred. Numbers game I guess... Go Malibu!!!!

Same exact story on mine 2022.  Hydrolocked at 15 hrs. (Service done at 12hrs)  Malibu acts like its a 1 in a million situation.  Flushed it out, changed oil 4 times.  Yes was water in oil.  I wanted motor replacement they said take it back and see what happens.  Hydrolocked 2nd time at 30 hrs.  Clearly they got a problem.  Its either the manifolds or gaskets.  I followed all the water hoses and i seems manifolds and v drive is only place water goes.  Its on all 8 cylinders.  About a half gallon on each side.  Both times.  Boat currently sitting waiting for response from malibu. 

Both hydrolock events occurred 1st start after sitting on a lift for approximately 18 hrs.   lowered in, start, rumble like bad gas, then clunk.

M6. Took delivery June 2022

• Sad 3

Today was another fun day with my Malibu, took a friends family out to do some surfing and was planning to ride as well. Today back to the same problems as before. We rode for 4 hours (engine hour time) for 5 people. I never had more then 3 pulls without getting Surfgate errors and of course you realize their is a real problem when the rider fall, gate is stuck open and you cannot steer back to the rider (dangerous at times on Lake Lewisville).  I tried recalibrating, no luck. In fact when I hit the button to go home, after everything appeared to be ready for the short trip home, got an error that I was traveling too fast with surrogate open.  At this point I was close to the dock and all indication including the green light which showed gates were closed. Trailered boat and when I started wiping boat down both gates were deployed. Had to recycle the gates in the setup and they eventually closed. Also 1 out of 3 pulls today, the speed controls would not engage so had to drive the boat manually.  Luckily I am an experienced driver and was able to old school it. Due the challenges I was was unable to get surf sets in today because the driver saw the issues and was not comfortable getting one or both those errors, declined to drive the boat.

Come on Malibu... What the hell!!!! It is August and you have had these 2022 in production for almost a year.  Again, Dealership is great and have posted this before.. Tommy's Boats... you sell 40% of Malibus today and you make the wiring harness for Malibu.  Can we get any indication that you are seriously addressing these issues.  Ford just recently came out and acknowledged issues and made a management change, why can we not get any public acknowledgement that you care and are pushing back to Malibu.  

Jack Springer, as the CEO of Malibu can you at least send each Malibu owner a letter stating.... one that you are aware of quality issues and 2 what you are doing about it.

Apologize for ranting but when the boat has gotten to the point it is becoming a safety issue when you cannot get back to a rider because a gate is stuck open. Bought my boat so my whole family could enjoy water sports,  unfortunately that is not the case..

• Like 2

I don't think you have to justify your rant roonedoggie. That's the exact info a potential buyer would want to know. I love these boat but they aren't perfect. My hope is that they or any company has a strong desire to minimize issues and render good fixes for those that do have issues. Hope your experience gets better quickly.

Steve B.

• Like 1
On 8/13/2022 at 7:39 PM, roonedoggie said:

Today was another fun day with my Malibu, took a friends family out to do some surfing and was planning to ride as well. Today back to the same problems as before. We rode for 4 hours (engine hour time) for 5 people. I never had more then 3 pulls without getting Surfgate errors and of course you realize their is a real problem when the rider fall, gate is stuck open and you cannot steer back to the rider (dangerous at times on Lake Lewisville).  I tried recalibrating, no luck. In fact when I hit the button to go home, after everything appeared to be ready for the short trip home, got an error that I was traveling too fast with surrogate open.  At this point I was close to the dock and all indication including the green light which showed gates were closed. Trailered boat and when I started wiping boat down both gates were deployed. Had to recycle the gates in the setup and they eventually closed. Also 1 out of 3 pulls today, the speed controls would not engage so had to drive the boat manually.  Luckily I am an experienced driver and was able to old school it. Due the challenges I was was unable to get surf sets in today because the driver saw the issues and was not comfortable getting one or both those errors, declined to drive the boat.

Come on Malibu... What the hell!!!! It is August and you have had these 2022 in production for almost a year.  Again, Dealership is great and have posted this before.. Tommy's Boats... you sell 40% of Malibus today and you make the wiring harness for Malibu.  Can we get any indication that you are seriously addressing these issues.  Ford just recently came out and acknowledged issues and made a management change, why can we not get any public acknowledgement that you care and are pushing back to Malibu.  

Jack Springer, as the CEO of Malibu can you at least send each Malibu owner a letter stating.... one that you are aware of quality issues and 2 what you are doing about it.

Apologize for ranting but when the boat has gotten to the point it is becoming a safety issue when you cannot get back to a rider because a gate is stuck open. Bought my boat so my whole family could enjoy water sports,  unfortunately that is not the case..

My surfgate sensors errors tend to come and go.  I was also having issues with the cruise control kicking in.  After second service they updated software and didn’t seem to resolve the issue.  Then had a knocK sensor error.  I brought the boat in promptly they checked everything out spoke with malibu, I guess re-did the software update and things have been running much smoother.  

If you find you are getting a surfgate sensor error have your passenger check the surfgates.  Make sure they are retracted if not try to cycle a couple times.  If that doesn’t work try the power down and power up.  It can be annoying but I’ve found a little patience and the bugs work themselves out.

cruise control issue also Seemed to work itself out for us.  I’m thankful I’ve got a great dealer so when these issues come up they are able to take care of it quickly.   

So each time I get the sensor error they have not retracted.  This past sessions I had fewer errors. That is the problem they come and go, come and go with higher and lower incidents but never have had a session where they both don’t show up.  My issues is that it should not happen   This is my 3rd boat with surf gate and had 23LSV and 24MXZ. I never had one incident of speed control or surf gate.  As I stated beside the safety issues I have folks that are not seasoned drivers and they don’t feel comfortable driving the boat, too man distractions, etc.

On 8/14/2022 at 5:32 PM, Dwake said:

Anybod else out there have hydrolock occurring??? Normal use.  New boat.  Took delivery around June 2022.

Surprised no one else has replied. Sounds like a dealer fix for sure on a new boat. Something in the exhaust system sounds like it failed.

Steve B.

9 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Surprised no one else has replied. Sounds like a dealer fix for sure on a new boat. Something in the exhaust system sounds like it failed.

Steve B.

Something is definitely wrong.  Its good its not happening to more folk.  Still no word on the cause. 2x in 10 hrs.