Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Wakesetter Escape 23 ?'s

r3612

I"m coming from being a long time Centurion owner(4 of their wakeboats). Most recently getting rid of my 04 Centurion Cyclone. Please don't start o boat war I"m switching now because I can :) With me not getting the ol good buddy discounts on new boats and starting a new family we are going used and have always loved the Bu wakes. Just damn near impossible to find a good VLX in 2000yr that hasn't been destroyed, isn't 1000mile's, or isn't drastically overpriced to compensate for the loan payoff.

WEll we are ready to pull the trigger. VLX would be our prime choice, but came across this boat(2000 Wakesetter Escape 23V) that is exceptionally clean and very close by and has a great gelcoat scheme so wanted to hear some input on it as we are not very familiar with this boat. I didn't know they made the 23 Wakesetter back then (22ft 6inch). Did some research on the site and it says it's actually on the V25 wake hull. Which is on the more current bu's as well. Is that correct? Because it seems that 2000 was the only year for that...Or you think it's a misprint? If it's true that hull throws a killer wake from what I"ve read. The biggest thing here is I won't be able to test drive it as it below 0 here in Chicago and will be for sometime. I know the dealer very well as he is a friend so the boat WILL perform mechanically no problems so I"m not worried about that. Just concerned with how it may drive or need to be loaded for boarding.

I"m solid intermediate. Got 3 solid inverts (backroll, tantrum, scarecrow) with 2 more day dependinig inverts (toeside back, switch roll to revert) and some other's in the works. I"m used to ridinig with factory setups and not having to fool with sacs so that would be great....Why we are going VLX. (I believ too many people overload their boats these days because it's "cool thing to do" but that's a whole nother topic) , but just not sure on the 2000 Wakeseter 23 characteristics. It has the wedge and 3 tank system. Think that would be plenty? Or think because of its's size it would need a ton of extra weight? How would it compare to a VLX? How is the ballast system back then any big issues? I know alot of people with the new LSV's which are bigger and wider have plumbed a sac on top of the factory tanks. Just not sure on best setup for this boat so wouldn't mind the input. From our experiences as well, bu's with the wedge deployed usually like 4-600 in the nose depending on how much extra weight in in the back. Just curious to hear some inputs as we have no experience with this particular Bu. Is the standard engine enough? I pretty sure it has the 325 in there, but the dealer wasn't 100% as is getting back to me, just think that it may be a little under powered, but I don't run with a ton of extra weight and it pushes the VLX fine. My crew is usually small too 3-4 peeps max. Aslo use it on a bigger lake every now and then so having the extar room and bigger boat would help. So again any info insight would be great.

Sorry for the long winded post, but just wanted to give as much info as possible.

Thanks ahead of time

Edited by r3612

Welcome to the site.

Unfortunately that is a misprint. That boat is a diamond hull boat - in fact all 23' (22'6" in reality) Malibu vdrives prior to 2004 were on the diamond hull.

EDIT: I've changed the tech section to be accurate. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by WakeGirl
Welcome to the site.

Unfortunately that is a misprint. That boat is a diamond hull boat - in fact all 23' (22'6" in reality) Malibu vdrives prior to 2004 were on the diamond hull.

EDIT: I've changed the tech section to be accurate. Sorry for the confusion.

THANKS for the info and the welcome.

So with that said now I really need some input on wake characteristics (shape ) and what not. Thanks...just glad I asked and it was caught. So now how does the wake stack up? I would tink it would be a bit peakier then with the LSV hull am I incorrect in that? What are your alls take. Worth holding out for the VLX? Is it that noticeable of a difference? What is the difference? Will it need even more weight then being on that diamond hull? Would assume it would aide in handling as I've also read the diamond hull adds llift to to hull at speeds which in turn helps it handle better(making it a bit more nimble).

KRis

Edited by r3612

Well, it will take a little more work & tweaking to get it how you want it. I think that your "peaky" comment is about right - the newer 23' boats on the wake hull tend to naturally put out a wake that's a bit rampier than the older version does - that's not to say that you can't tweak each hull one way or another. But apples for apples, I'd say that you're on the money with that thought. From what you've described of your skill level as well as how you use the boat (not a lot of extra weight for example), I'd personally hold out for the VLX, but that's JMO. You'll get a better wake with stock ballast from the VLX than you will from the LSV, especially one on the diamond hull. And if you don't have the opportunity to test drive, I'd definitely wait for a known quantity.

I have had all three boats 01 Wakesetter 23, 02&04 Wakesetter VLX, 05&06 VLX. The 01 had a nice stock wake, but we always put a 500# bag in front of back seat and used the wedge, it made a great wake in my opinion, but it did take a bit to get on plane. (I took the boat to Malibu and had rear ballast added 200# each side). I too don't believe in all that overloading stuff either. the 02 & 04 I took out back tanks and plumbed in 500# sacks and used a 375# locker sack in walkway on top of factory locker sack and the wake was awesome. 02/335 hp did good and 05/06 340 does much better. Propping makes big difference. The 05 & 06 boats don't need any added weight in my opinion and makes a great wake. We usually carry the same amount of people as you and ride also with moderate skills and the ones with big skills have no problem getting plenty of airtime. Tough choice without getting to ride behind. Good Luck!

Edited by Malibuman

What speed do you ride at? If you're in the 23-24mph range like a lot of the more advanced riders, you'll probably want to add weight or look at a different hull. If you're closer to 20-21mph the boat can put out a good wake without a lot of weight.

I have an '01 Sunscape which is on the same hull. Mine didn't come with any factory ballast so I just use non-riders of considerable size (NRCS) ballast. I've had riders pull back rolls and tantrums behind my boat with only the wedge deployed and 4-5 people. The stock factory ballast that year should have only been the MLS in the center locker I think. I don't remember reading in the brochure about a 3 tank system (perhaps I'm wrong). Anyway, if you have just the ski locker ballast to fill plus a few people I bet you'd be pretty happy with the wake. Obviously it won't be as nice as a newer wake hull 21 VLX without additional weight but like you said you're getting a good deal on a nicely colored boat.

WEll went and took a look at the boat in person and I must say it was MINT. Looked as showroom as a 2000 could be....not one dock nick in the whole boat or on the rubrail...No rust on the trailer anywhere except the prop guard(to be expected). Really the only flaw was on the rear seat behind the driver...Just showing some stress at the seams of the piping....no official tears but it's almost there probably form people getting in and out, but what can you expect its a 2000. Not a stain on the carpet or upholstery anywhere All of the other upholstery is practically untouched. It's all original stuff. Gotta give props as this is the way boats should be cared for. Ideally I"d love to wait til thawout, but just not sure if this thing will still be there come warm weather.

So now I"m REALLY TORN! It just really sucks that I can't ride behind this boat....Part of me is saying do it because it's a great deal on a great, immaculate boat and besides it's a Bu ,but I just don't have any info on the characteristics of the wake to sell me. I always said and preached never buy til you ride...Like I said I"ve been behind the VLX SV23 Wake hull was an 02 and spent quite a bit of time behind it. We ran stock 3 MLS wedge and 400 in the nose and 4 peeps. was the smoothest takeoff and landing I've ever experienced....just wondering what the exact difference would be from that hull to this of the Wakesetter Escape23 SV 25 Diamonds. Like I said would think the wake would be peakier than the VLX...can anyone chime in on that? Reason is because you are going to need more weight to displace this bigger boat so the water will have more of an upward force after it leaves the back of the boat. Could be way off though. I know it will need more weight than a VLX but how much you think we are talking? What are you 23 LSV owners running new and old hull styles.

Gonna try and maybe ask the wake question a different way and see if it sparks some new comments........What other wake form another boat mfg would you say the 2000-2003Wakeseetter Escape 23V's is closest too.... if any.... from those who have spent sometime behind other rides? I know no 2 wakes are alike, but some are very very similar. My biggest concern is that it is going to be ramped out and too wide. I'd like to have a nice hard solid lip and still be able to ride at 75ft. Like WAKEGIRL said yuo can tweak the peak a little by moving weight around, but I also have been in some boats that just don't have the capablilty. (such as a x-10/ maristar 210) That thing is wide rampy and you can't get a kick to it at all.

In my research as well I found Gerry Nunn rides the 23 LSV on the Diamond hull...Anybody know if that's correct? Anybody got info on the Diamond hull VLX wake vs. the SV23 Wake hull. Characteristic wise besides one is bigger than the other.

BBEAKLEY

I'm riding at 23 give or take depending on the boat at 75ft on every boat except a SAN I"m 80ft there for sure. Also I was mistaken about the three tanks.....The rear 2 are sacs that were plumbed in. 400lbs each

Again guys and gals thanks for the info so far I"m driving myself and my wife MAD! HEHEHEHEHE

Edited by r3612

IMO...Why buy a ski boat if you want a wakeboard boat? Don't let the nice ski boat blind you to what you are looking for. Wait and get the boat you really want. There are lots of nice boats out there. Spread your sights out a little farther. Look 500 miles from you or even more. It can be a nice trip to go get the boat if you have to. A year from now your going to be wishing you had waited. If your main use of the boat was surfing or skiing I'd say go for it but you sound like you wakeboard most of the time.

Look at online listings. Onlyinboards.com is a listing that one of our members runs. There are many more.

IMO...Why buy a ski boat if you want a wakeboard boat? Don't let the nice ski boat blind you to what you are looking for. Wait and get the boat you really want. There are lots of nice boats out there. Spread your sights out a little farther. Look 500 miles from you or even more. It can be a nice trip to go get the boat if you have to. A year from now your going to be wishing you had waited. If your main use of the boat was surfing or skiing I'd say go for it but you sound like you wakeboard most of the time.

Look at online listings. Onlyinboards.com is a listing that one of our members runs. There are many more.

Agreed, don't let emotion cloud your thinking on this one.

IMHO the only thing this boat has going for it is a lot of room. In 2004 I fell victim to purchasing a 2000 23LSV, the price was low and the boat was in immaculate condition like the one you describe. Needless to say I only keep it for one season. We once had 14 people and ballast in the 2000 and the wake still wasn't as good as my current 04 VLX with 1 person in the boat.

Comparisons 2000 23 LSV to 2004 VLX

2000 LSV wake was never as good

2000 LSV rides rougher in open water

2000 LSV harder to control

2000 LSV Perfect pass only works well in RPM mode because of hull.

Edited by JustinOSU

Thaks all,

Appreciate it.

My sights are spread and I have been looking since Oct....So will continue to do so I"m willing to drive...Delivered the last 2 boats I sold one to Nebraska and one to Colorado. those were the halfway points :) Just can't seem to find anything in decent shape.....Wonder what the heck these people due to their boats. I uinderstand a 4-6 yr old boat will have some normal wear and tear, but some of these things look like they have been left outside for 10 yrs. I kept my previous 4 boats for 2 year spands and upgraded and all looked the same as they left the showroom in some cases even detailed better. So I appreciate the value a clean boat, probably why the sudden "lust" for lack of a better word. We only board, don't ski and occassionlly cruise on a big lake. I"m not much for surfing, but I"m sure as I get up there my set time will diminish and I will surf a bit more. Sounds like we will continue to shop as the wake may or may not be there......and if this boat happens to still be around then I will demo it and see what happens. Thanks for the info all

Edited by r3612