Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow Ballast Or Room For More Kids?

Donnieb

What's everyone's opinion on getting the bow ballast on a Wakesetter VLX that we're going to use for surfing? We also have a few younger kids that come along and they love to sit in the bow (typically with their feet hanging down into the walkthrough area). I know some of the other manufacturers have the bow ballast in the seats so you can still have the walkthrough, but it looks like Malibu doesn't. So...is it really important to have the bow ballast?

That boat needs weight in the bow. If you don't get the tank, you'll need to get weight up there somehow, whether it's a bag in the walkway or using pop bags. The bow rise is such that you really need it in that boat. It also really has a good effect on the surfing wave, making it a lot longer. How you get the weight up there is up to you.

That boat needs weight in the bow. If you don't get the tank, you'll need to get weight up there somehow, whether it's a bag in the walkway or using pop bags. The bow rise is such that you really need it in that boat. It also really has a good effect on the surfing wave, making it a lot longer. How you get the weight up there is up to you.

Kid ballast! get like 4 of them up there. That should be about 150 lbs.

I think the bow ballast is a must. I also like having the playpen in the front instead of the isle.

And remember RESALE.

Even if you never used the ballast tanks on your boat, you don't want to get stuck with a boat that is missing a critical option.

IMO a front ballest is not an option but a must. we normally add additional weight in the front to improve the wake.

I agree!! We have bow ballast and kid ballast. It is a MUST!!! I'd go with it I think you'll later regreat it :)

I've got the LSV with the playpen and in the summer we always have little kids. My youngest is 3 and this is the boat's 3rd B-day coming up.

The weight is needed for surfing and wakeboarding IMO. Bu makes their gunnels high enough so the worry factor is not as high as in other boats.

The playpen actually adds to the 'usable' space IMO. With the walk through LESS people can sit up there.

I've got the LSV with the playpen and in the summer we always have little kids. My youngest is 3 and this is the boat's 3rd B-day coming up.

The weight is needed for surfing and wakeboarding IMO. Bu makes their gunnels high enough so the worry factor is not as high as in other boats.

The playpen actually adds to the 'usable' space IMO. With the walk through LESS people can sit up there.

I agree on the point that there is more useable space. I thought I wanted the aisle, but listened to the opinions of wakegirl and others and went with the ballast. Now that I've got the playpen, I love it when I get five or six of my kids and their friends all living it up with the wind in their hair.

I've got a 2002 with ballast under the seats. So, when we first got our boat, I left the center cushion in and went with the playpen. I later "thought" I would have more room with it out, so the next summer I took the center cushion out. That lasted for only a couple of weeks. The kids complained and wanted the center cushion put back.

Lesson learned: kids love the playpen, so definitely get the ballast tank. Besides, the wake sucks without it.

Not me but I think it 11-1!

I never got because my kids are 10 and 7 no need for the Parks size wake. I like the extra storage and walk through.

I like the bow ballast because it takes the lip away from the wake, making it easier and more comfortable to try new tricks.

Can the hard tank from the 05+ be retrofitted to the 04?

And use the 04 cushions?

Pat

I think that it can, I know someone locally that had it done to an earlier model than that & a diamond hull at that. The weird thing is though, since then I've been getting varying reports that dealers may not be allowed to do it anymore. Dontknow.gif

If you put a Wedge on the boat absolutely get the bow tank. If you don't get a Wedge on the boat you should probably still get a bow tank.

And use the 04 cushions?

Pat

Nope, the 21.5' boats with the bow tank use a different deck mold (there's no molded in area for the storage under the seats). I can take pictures if you want, but it's totally different.

If you put a Wedge on the boat absolutely get the bow tank. If you don't get a Wedge on the boat you should probably still get a bow tank.

And use the 04 cushions?

Pat

Nope, the 21.5' boats with the bow tank use a different deck mold (there's no molded in area for the storage under the seats). I can take pictures if you want, but it's totally different.

(in grandpappy's voice)

....yeah, but years ago I saw some of them thar digital pitcher thingies that showed some dern' fool made a closed bow Response into an open bow response also.... Biggrin.gif

...nuttin a sawzall, a grinder and a shopvac can't handle. (as long as the tank fit...) I don't know if I could get over the pucker factor though... :unsure:

P

Edited by Faceplant409