Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Switched out the carpet for DECKadence marine flooring

I needed to replace my carpet and I waffled back and forth between DECKadence or something like gatorstep/seadek/marinemat.

Just for experience reference, my last boat had SeaDek so I do have past experience with that flooring.  I liked it just fine and that experience played into my decision on both pro and con sides.

3 things finally put me over the edge.

1. DECKadence is completely stain proof, there is almost nothing you can spill, wipe, splash on this stuff that would stain it - just spray it off with water.
2. Its removable, I know there are 2 camps of people some like to be able to remove and wash the flooring down especially end of season and some like the more permanent stick down style flooring.  I've always been of the prior camp.
3. DECKadence was cheaper and templating it was easier than multi pieces involved with "stick down" flooring in my estimation.  So for me it got another point for price and installation.

I will say that gatorstep/seadek/marinemat products look really nice and maybe even a bit more refined looking than DECKadence so that was a consideration on the other side.
I actually really do like the feel of DECKadence when walking on it, a lot of cushion to it.

There is also the ability to use custom stencil and colored vinyl coating spray to lay down any logo or design on it you want.  Where I've seen DIY'ers that have done this it looks really nice and has proved to be very durable and stands up to long term use without fading or wearing away.  I do plan to do some custom designs on it when I have some time later this year.

The templating and cutting went very smoothly and easier than I even imagined.  It was cut all in one piece.

deckadence.thumb.png.987363bca5457d153623427766f381a2.png

"Where I've seen DIY'ers that have done this it looks really nice and has proved to be very durable and stands up to long term use without fading or wearing away.  I do plan to do some custom designs on it when I have some time later this year."

Highly recommend.  Local sign shops can make you a stencil easily off whatever design you can dream up.  The PVC paint is available online.  I kept a scrap piece of Deckadence when I cut out the main boat carpet, and bought two stencils - one to practice on.  My practice stencil piece sits outside at the hot tub, and gets sunlight and weather every day.  Stencil still looks great 6 years later.

1 hour ago, malibudog said:

"Where I've seen DIY'ers that have done this it looks really nice and has proved to be very durable and stands up to long term use without fading or wearing away.  I do plan to do some custom designs on it when I have some time later this year."

Highly recommend.  Local sign shops can make you a stencil easily off whatever design you can dream up.  The PVC paint is available online.  I kept a scrap piece of Deckadence when I cut out the main boat carpet, and bought two stencils - one to practice on.  My practice stencil piece sits outside at the hot tub, and gets sunlight and weather every day.  Stencil still looks great 6 years later.

One thing I was curious about with this, how does it affect the feel of the flooring when you walk on it.  For instance, does the paint make it feel a bit crunchier or anything like that or is not really that noticeable difference in feel?

Looks great.  Where did you order it? What size piece did you buy? 

https://marineflooring.net

They have a standard width of 6' and lengths from 3'-30'.  You can also seam pieces together if it makes sense for your layout.  The 6'x9' was the size that worked as one piece for my '13 VTX ($800).  You can order samples off the website as well.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

What size pieces did you guys by?  I have a 2015 22 VLX but I'm not at my boat right now, would like to order prior to going to the lake (where the boat is).

Thanks!

6'x9' is what I needed to do a one piece cut out on my 2013 VTX.   Not sure if that would suffice for your VLX or not though.