Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sea Foam

I have used the aerosol version before. I used it on my Jetski (yeah I know) and on my dad's old Honda. It seemed to clean up the carbon on both of them. It worked fairly well, but I wouldn't use this on anything like this on a motor that I care about (or is expensive). I don't tend to use additives unless there is a need. What does everybody else think?

Do you just want to use this as a preventative or to solve a problem?

Chad

I have used the aerosol version before. I used it on my Jetski (yeah I know) and on my dad's old Honda. It seemed to clean up the carbon on both of them. It worked fairly well, but I wouldn't use this on anything like this on a motor that I care about (or is expensive). I don't tend to use additives unless there is a need. What does everybody else think?

Chad

Honestly folks, do you really think you can solve a mechanical problem with a bottle of liquid.

Honestly folks, do you really think you can solve a mechanical problem with a bottle of liquid.
Biggrin.gif Well, since you brought it up...when I first started doing the sales rep thing I picked up a Plymouth Voyageur on the cheap. At about 70K miles it developed a confirmed head gasket leak that I didn't have the $$ to fix. My mechanic suggested that I could try this stuff (available at the time through NAPA auto parts stores) that was thick with suspended copper, among other ingredients. Just poured it in the radiator, ran the vehicle, leak stopped. Three years later with close to 200K miles on it, I donated that vehicle to a church in Oroville and I know for a fact it is still running and has not had the head gasket replaced.

So yes...in rare instances, real help can come from a bottle. Crazy.gif Of course, I haven't been able to find that stuff since...it worked too well so they got rid of it. Frustrated.gif [/hi-jack]

Sea Foam? Nope, never used it. Sorry.

Edited by NorCaliBu

Chad

If it burns up carbon deposits in the combustion chambers that would be really helpful, no? All the other stuff it suggets it does sounds good too.

I have used the Seafoam to clean out carbon deposits, help clean out the carb and it also works as a fuel stabilizer. It's a good product, but as mentioned before, it's no miracle cure for anything.

My mechanic suggested that I could try this stuff (available at the time through NAPA auto parts stores) that was thick with suspended copper, among other ingredients. Just poured it in the radiator, ran the vehicle, leak stopped. Three years later with close to 200K miles on it, I donated that vehicle to a church in Oroville and I know for a fact it is still running and has not had the head gasket replaced.

I used that same copper stuff on my 66 chevelle until I had time to take it out of storage and start working on it, It did work.

But I always thought that if it sealed up holes and leaks it couldn't be good for the radiator and other small passages in the engine that are supposed to flow freely.

And no, I've never used the seafoam either.

This is not a problem solved or fixed but I just wanted share one of a few experiences with an "additive" or "quick fix from a bottle" stories.

In 95 my father in law took his 90 dynasty to the shop with a concern over a new sound coming from the engine only to find that it was a rod knocking. Not wanting to put the money into the car for a rebuild he offered the car to us for a song. Knowing I was going to tear down the motor some time in the near future, I changed the oil adding a quart of dura lube (mostly for giggles) until I had a couple of weekends free to pull it out for a swap or rebuild. Afterwards It seemed like it got a little quiet but it was still present. That was at 87k miles, almost three years later at 137k miles we traded the car in for more than what was paid for it. Although the rod was still knocking, the thing ran great and it never would have made it that long without some intervention of a very positive nature. The stuff really worked well for us and now I've used it in every other oil change on all our vehicles since then. We currently have a Dodge mini van with 182k on it and runs like new.

It worked for me and continues to do so.

Depends on the problem and the bottle. :)

Say for instance you have an engine that's tired. If you clean it out & run something like synthetic in it, you may actually worsen your problems because the sludge buildup in the engine may have been giving you better oil pressure etc. But as many have stated earlier in the thread, minor problems & difficulties have been fixed & major problems possibly bypassed because of an additive. For the purposes of our boats though, I don't think that there's such a thing as "Liquid HP" or "Liquid Torque". If there was & it actually worked, I'd be buying it by the case as well as purchasing stock in the company. :lol:

I have used seafoam in my trucks for a number of years. Typically a day or so before an oil change. i really don't know how well it works but I haven't had an engine problem in that span, (knock on wood). I did use it on the boat this winter for the first time. I put a bottle in the fuel tank and in the crankcase prior to changing the oil in the winter. We'll see how it works in the spring. Other than that the only additive I run through the boat is Chevron Injector cleaner once a month or so.

I'm on the corvette forum too and there are a lot of guys that have used it in their engines and are really happy with it. Personally I'm kind of straddling the fence on the product.

I have used Seafoam on several of my rides, and it does work really well.

I put a can in the gas tank about every 5,000 miles to help keep the injectors clean and to keep the carbon build up down.

I have also used it as a top end/combustion chamber cleaner by pouring or sucking in the product through the top of the TBI/carburator.

I have used the product extensively. I use it to stablize the fuel for winter storage and also use it in the carb rather than fogger during the winter. It has worked perfectly. I have used it in the past to clean carbs.(mainly to clean it when fogger was used)

I think it is a wonderful product to use.

I don't think it's a fix for anything but just keeps things from building up.