Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 Tundra

jjackkrash

Anyone picked one up?  Rode in one?  Towed with one? 

I am curious on the hybrid vs. non hybrid.  The electric adds a lot of power, but it also looks like the electric motor and battery add a lot of weight and take away from payload significantly and storage in the cab.  

1 hour ago, jjackkrash said:

Anyone picked one up?  Rode in one?  Towed with one? 

I am curious on the hybrid vs. non hybrid.  The electric adds a lot of power, but it also looks like the electric motor and battery add a lot of weight and take away from payload significantly and storage in the cab.  

Noticed that on the payload too.  Ford Powerboost is a similar story.  A truck with under 1500 lbs of payload is kindof useless even if the powertrain is awesome.  If you buy the top tier trims on these things, they're pretty limited in capacity.

• Like 2

The tundra has always had a very low payload capacity. A crew max platinum was in the 1200-1400lb payload range when I was looking. Even with a 10k tow rating that doesn’t leave you with much left. 

What's the tongue weight on a modern wake boat anyways?  Say the new 25LSV on a tandem.  700 lbs?  More?  I always wonder when I see folks pulling Paragons and M240s with Ford Expeditions, or even worse, Raptors, just how over the payload and/or rear axle weight ratings they are.

Edited by UWSkier

I am on a waiting list for a 2022 Tundra. However, Toyota has totally muffed the rollout of this truck. Numerous issues related to quality control, turbo waste gate failures and a host of other problems have me leaning towards holding on to my 2017 Platinum for a couple of more years.

I don't have any exact numbers but for the new big boats I have been hearing 700-1000lbs. It is honestly scary when I see all these massive 25' boats being towed with SUV's and average equipped half tons. I've got an f150 eco with max tow which is likely one of the most equipped half tons and I will only use to tow around town. Not nearly enough truck for the hills. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, IXFE said:

101F1E1C-2FEB-41E8-BDBB-D0DADF9860ED.jpeg

We need to get that guy to re-do that stunt towing a G with 800 lbs of lead.  :)

Rear Axle Weight Rating?  What's that?  TRX go RAWR!!!

Edited by UWSkier

I've got a deposit down on an Army Green 1794 edition with the load leveling suspension.  It might get it by early June.  I decided against the Hybrid for payload reasons.  I have a DRW for the heavy stuff, this just needs to tow a ski boat and run down to the lake and back with the dogs.   

4 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

I've got a deposit down on an Army Green 1794 edition with the load leveling suspension.  It might get it by early June.  I decided against the Hybrid for payload reasons.  I have a DRW for the heavy stuff, this just needs to tow a ski boat and run down to the lake and back with the dogs.   

Curious what made you go that route instead of the GMC baby Duramax with the excellent new interior?

22 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Curious what made you go that route instead of the GMC baby Duramax with the excellent new interior?

If you can find one around here they are going for well north of $80k in the trim level I would want.  I am just not paying that for a 1/2 ton.  

Edit:  and if things go back to normal and GMC starts discounting again, I would probably consider swapping it out in the future.  The new GMCs do look really sweet.  

Edited by jjackkrash

It looks like if I travel out of state I could probably get a GMC with SLT trim with the 3.0L Duramax for a similar price.  I am considering that, but the loaded 1794 seems like it has a lot going for it feature and interior wise over the SLT.  If the Denali were same price that would be a no brainer.  

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like I can get a loaded AT4 with the diesel for similar money as the Tundra 1794  if I wait a few months.    I may go that route.   

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

We put 200 miles on it so far in the last two days just screwing around, but overall its a very nice truck and tows the boat great.  A few of the safety features really pissed me off backing up the boat but I suspect I am just used to how GM does things and need to chill out a little until I figure things out.  I also have reserved a loaded black on black Sierra AT4 with the 3.0L diesel that I can swap this one for without losing any money (give or take) if and when it comes in around mid July.  But the wife and boy really like this one so we'll see.   I am going to hold off on tires and tonneau cover, etc., until the decisions is final.  

I see the Escalade sport with the onyx package in the background. Just picked one of those up and so far my wife is really liking it.

The Tundra seems to check a lot of boxes, but there's something about it I just couldn't love. Nice truck, just didn't fit me, but then again I've been back and forth between Ford/GM on my last dozen trucks. Similar to the 2019 Ram Limited I had. Awesome truck...just didn't fit me for some reason.

7 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

We put 200 miles on it so far in the last two days just screwing around, but overall its a very nice truck and tows the boat great.  A few of the safety features really pissed me off backing up the boat but I suspect I am just used to how GM does things and need to chill out a little until I figure things out.  I also have reserved a loaded black on black Sierra AT4 with the 3.0L diesel that I can swap this one for without losing any money (give or take) if and when it comes in around mid July.  But the wife and boy really like this one so we'll see.   I am going to hold off on tires and tonneau cover, etc., until the decisions is final.  

Who did you buy from? I’m on the fence of what to do with my AT4. I’ve been debating moving to a TRD Pro or Raptor. Just not a fan of the at4 ride for a daily. Upgrading the shocks would likely solve a lot of my complaints but where’s the fun in that? 

On 5/29/2022 at 3:45 PM, Pnwrider said:

Who did you buy from? 

Heartland Toyota (Bremerton).  They had an allocation and stuck to MSRP. 

• 4 weeks later...

So far the Tundra has been a solid truck, but the electronics are pretty aggressive and pretty much doing what they want to do instead of what I want them to do.  I have not taken the time to read the manual to figure out what I can turn off. So that's kinda on me.  

My regular GMC dealer has a loaded black on black AT4 with the little diesel with my name on it coming in July that I can basically swap for if I want.  I am on the fence still but want to see the specific truck when it comes in.  So we'll see.  

9 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

So far the Tundra has been a solid truck, but the electronics are pretty aggressive and pretty much doing what they want to do instead of what I want them to do.  I have not taken the time to read the manual to figure out what I can turn off. So that's kinda on me.  

My regular GMC dealer has a loaded black on black AT4 with the little diesel with my name on it coming in July that I can basically swap for if I want.  I am on the fence still but want to see the specific truck when it comes in.  So we'll see.  

Yeah, there are a lot of nanny features on my wifes Lexus that I have to shut off when I drive or they make me crazy.  Too much beeping and "helping" in perfectly normal situations.

14 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Yeah, there are a lot of nanny features on my wifes Lexus that I have to shut off when I drive or they make me crazy.  Too much beeping and "helping" in perfectly normal situations.

It has slammed the breaks on me backing the boat down the ramp on more than one occasion for no good reason, which really hacked me off.  But then it also stopped me from backing into a tree once already when I was in a hurry, so I had to apologize for my previous anger and admit it knows better.  

Edited by jjackkrash