Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Automatic cover system

RCorsa

I posted about this is an old thread trying to find info but can’t find it. Anyway after getting my new m240 I decided to pull the trigger on one of the automatic covers as we aren’t allowed to have fixed covers or boat houses on our lake. 
Figured I would show how it works but the file is too large unfortunately to age the video.  Comes off and on in about 20 seconds. 

44E16948-FC57-43C7-AE25-5C943AF97223.jpeg

67712E30-A006-45B7-AE9F-8A9CD8CD521A.jpeg

Zero pooling.  Even better than the Malibu cover included by a ton. This is after a heavy rain storm last night.   Zero water yet air circulates really well  

FEAFA760-7B42-41A8-B60F-9BFABF3631D5.jpeg

• Like 3

RCorsa have you had any serious wind with this cover on?  I have heard that these can rub the side of your boat below the rub rail in wind.  Curious as to what it is rated to with those hydraulic rams.  We get some serious wind here and it actually broke our floe (like completely ruined it).  Saw these at a boat show and the theory looks awesome.

Well actually the last week since it was installed our weather really turned for the worse and we also get crazy high winds (30mph)   Last night we had huge white caps on the shore due to the wind.  It seems like the cover is fine today but I did wonder about it.

Good to hear it held up.  We just had similar but the winds hit 50-60 gusts.  Always make me not want to look outside on those days and just hope it all holds together.

Looks sweet.  I have a friend who got one of these a year or so ago for his Mastercraft X24. Said it dramatically increased his boat usage as a quick cruise required almost zero effort - from his kitchen he pushes button for cover and another for lift, both basically done by time he walks to dock. Turn key and drive away.  

• Like 3

These things are sick.  I like the idea a lot but also have some concern about the wind causing the cover to mar the gelcoat.  The benefit however is that you don't have much exposure to the sun.  I may be getting a new hoist soon so we shall see.  

That is a really cool system.  My dock mate just added this touchless cover for his Malibu.  It's basically a rigid frame that makes a "box" that covers the whole boat.  It keeps the boat dry and out of the sun, and the air can circulate so the boat dries out fast from use.  I wanted to order one until I heard the price tag.  :-) 

image.thumb.png.b8773ff7467e0ef9245397d0fc078fea.png

• Like 2

I was looking at these at a boat show this past winter (don't know if it was the same brand as this post).  Super Cool!! - but too spendy for me.  I was told generally complete setups ran between $15k and $20k depending on boat.

16k all in including the custom cover, system and installation.   It is ridiculous money but so is everything with these surf boats. Lol.  

• Like 2
On 4/23/2022 at 6:00 PM, RCorsa said:

16k all in including the custom cover, system and installation.   It is ridiculous money but so is everything with these surf boats. Lol.  

Any idea how much of that is for the custom canvas?  the fit looks great, but naturally a different boat (e.g. MXZ vs LSV) would mean a whole new cover and fitment/install any time you upgrade/change.

On 4/22/2022 at 7:58 AM, EchelonMike said:

That is a really cool system.  My dock mate just added this touchless cover for his Malibu.  It's basically a rigid frame that makes a "box" that covers the whole boat.  It keeps the boat dry and out of the sun, and the air can circulate so the boat dries out fast from use.  I wanted to order one until I heard the price tag.  :-) 

image.thumb.png.b8773ff7467e0ef9245397d0fc078fea.png

Mike, what was the rough cost on the touchless?  Been looking at them, but would like a general idea of the cost before I decide to call or not.  Thanks 

14 hours ago, Horns1 said:

Mike, what was the rough cost on the touchless?  Been looking at them, but would like a general idea of the cost before I decide to call or not.  Thanks 

It varies by length/width of the slip but was in the neighborhood of $15K from Lifetime Docks (would need to come look at the slip to give me an exact quote).