Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

‘22 20VTX slalom prop?

ztarum

My boat has the standard prop, M5 engine. I’m going to get a spare prop. Curious if anyone has experimented with which props might improve slalom wake, and if/how the surf performance suffers as a result?

I’ll probably just get a second identical prop to what I have, but if someone knows there is a better option for skiing I may give it a try.

ahopkins22LSV

I’ve been debating trying a acme 1235. It’s a bit smaller so I think it will turn less water behind the boat. It was the go to hybrid prop back in the day but I haven’t seen one for sale at a price I’m willing to gamble on or have the opportunity to try one.

@ahopkinsVTX I have a 1273 as a second prop from my VTX. I had it on my LSV for a while while the other prop was at the prop doc. It just a bit more cup than the 1235. I sent this one to the prop doc in the fall after my captain put the prop into the sand at Silver Lake. It was just a little rough around the edges, but is as good as new now. 

if you want to borrow it, just let me know and I can send it across the state. If possible I’d like it back by mid may/Memorial Day, as I’ll be taking the boat up north on the weekends early in the season. Just PP me for the shipping. I can put a return tag in there too. 

FWIIW, my VTX had the 537 on it when I got it. I feel like the 1237 helped a touch with the rooster tail. The biggest difference for me was removing the wedge. The tip was dragging. Removing the wedge provided a night and day difference in the rooster tail. 

from there give @ztarum some feedback? 

I called OJ and they suggested trying their 912.  I may give it a try, but I'm going to wait until after I get the boat serviced and start using the plug and play bags so I can collect some data for comparison since I'm assuming the surf performance may suffer.

Edited by ztarum
  • 2 months later...

did you end up trying the 912?  I have a 2022 VTX and we all think the start is sluggish on deep water slalom starts.  Like what we get for Surfing with the 1235.  Have tried some ballast in front but do not see much different.

I wonder if something is going on with the M5 or if they just give it wimpy throttle mapping or something.  That engine should rip in the smaller boats, but I've heard that even in the light TXi, it's a dog out of the hole and getting up to slalom speeds on short setups using the same Acme 515 Malibu has run forever on the Responses.