Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing

macmcknight09

Does anyone in here tow with 3L turbo diesel that GM offers in the 1500s? Looking at new trucks and curious to any feedback. Thanks

Lots of topics have been posted with your same question.  I think the 6.2 with the 10 speed tranny would be the way I would go if I was looking for a half ton truck.  

Edited by dwc032
On 4/11/2022 at 7:23 AM, macmcknight09 said:

Does anyone in here tow with 3L turbo diesel that GM offers in the 1500s? Looking at new trucks and curious to any feedback. Thanks

What boat and weight are you looking at towing?

I have a Silverado 1500 3.0 and love it. plenty of torque and average 25mpg mixed city & highway. I've averaged of 34mpg on the highway. Also my boat is a 2001 VLX 21'. 

• Like 1

2022 Silverado half ton diesel is getting a nice increase in towing capacity and payload.  If I were in the market for a half ton, that's what I'd buy.  New interior is nice!

• Like 1

The 3.0L and the 10 speed is a great option if you are looking for a 1/2 ton.  My sister has one and tows a toy hauler with it and it tows great.  Personally, the farther north of 7K lbs. you get, the harder I'd be looking at an HD truck.  And there is no 1/2 ton I'd want to tow more than an 8 or 9K boat with on a regular basis, regardless of factory specs.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 3
42 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

The 3.0L and the 10 speed is a great option if you are looking for a 1/2 ton.  My sister has one and tows a toy hauler with it and it tows great.  Personally, the father north of 7K lbs. you get, the harder I'd be looking at an HD truck.  And there is no 1/2 ton I'd want to tow more than an 8 or 9K boat with on a regular basis, regardless of factory specs.  

Someone told me at 90,000 miles you have to drop the trans to replace a timing chain. Is this true?

7 minutes ago, ThinBuLine said:

Someone told me at 90,000 miles you have to drop the trans to replace a timing chain. Is this true?

I don’t remember if it is at 90,000 miles, but yes that chain needs to be replaced. I thought you had to pull the engine. 

FWIW, I don’t think that having to pull engine or transmission is that unusual to do work anymore. My 2014 EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee  had to have engine and tranny pulled to replace a turbo. 

My 2019 Expedition MAX needs two days of work on the engine to replace the cam phasers that are recalled. 

16 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I don’t remember if it is at 90,000 miles, but yes that chain needs to be replaced. I thought you had to pull the engine. 

FWIW, I don’t think that having to pull engine or transmission is that unusual to do work anymore. My 2014 EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee  had to have engine and tranny pulled to replace a turbo. 

My 2019 Expedition MAX needs two days of work on the engine to replace the cam phasers that are recalled. 

They lifted the cab off the frame to replace my cam phasers on my Raptor.  2.5 days at the shop.

Edited by DAI
55 minutes ago, DAI said:

They lifted the cab off the frame to replace my cam phasers on my Raptor.  2.5 days at the shop.

They told me it would be two days. Could very well be more. I’ve been waiting for parts since October. 

Could very well be the next owners problem. I’ll order a Wagoneer as soon as I can get the extended version. 

1 hour ago, DAI said:

Wow, I’ve never had to do that on any of my Raptors, and I run them hard!

9 hours ago, surfdude said:

Wow, I’ve never had to do that on any of my Raptors, and I run them hard!

It's a part defect that could fail regardless of how hard you run it.  From what I understand, it's a common issue with the "Eco-or-Boost" engine.  Attached is a video of what is sounds like upon start-up.

Cam Phaser

2 hours ago, DAI said:

It's a part defect that could fail regardless of how hard you run it.  From what I understand, it's a common issue with the "Eco-or-Boost" engine.  Attached is a video of what is sounds like upon start-up.

Cam Phaser

I think they chased that down to poor oil pressure on start.  The cure is to delay fuel until the pressure comes up on a cold engine. 

If you have those symptoms and want to prevent further damage, press the gas pedal to the floor as you crank the engine, then let it up when you see the oil pressure come up.  No more startup rattle!

5 minutes ago, justgary said:

I think they chased that down to poor oil pressure on start.  The cure is to delay fuel until the pressure comes up on a cold engine. 

If you have those symptoms and want to prevent further damage, press the gas pedal to the floor as you crank the engine, then let it up when you see the oil pressure come up.  No more startup rattle!

Or, have Ford fix it under warranty once parts become available. 

15 minutes ago, justgary said:

As I understand it, the cause is a broken set tab on the phaser that locks it in place when the engine is shut down,  The rattle is caused by the phaser catching up to the timing upon a cold start.  The temp fix with the procedure above is an extended crank time that allows the phaser to get back in sequence.  At least that is my understanding.

I had the rattle for about 28,000 miles before getting it repaired - waited until there was a proven fix.  I was a little nervous with the ‘open heart’ surgery on my engine, but it went well and the newest version of the part seems to be working.  <knock on wood>

Edited by DAI
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, ThinBuLine said:

This is a good video right from GM explaining it.  Looks like it's 150K mile service interval on the belt that drives the oil pump and you do have to pull the transmission to change it: 

• 2 weeks later...