Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake surf speeds

Jrob580

New to the site. Just purchased an Axis 24. Trying to figure out the best speed for wake surfing. I’m 6’3 250lbs. Also do I fill the ballast up completely every time I want to surf or is there better way. 

Load up the ballast then slowly speed up until the wake face clears - thats your lowest speed. Then adjust as rider prefers

congrats.  what year?  for my 2019 A24, always 11mph+, full hard tanks & PnP for adults with Wedge 2 or 3.  If kids riding, i don't bother filling rear PnP's more than 1/2 way.  i'm 70 lbs lighter than you, so while i do 11.4mph, you may want to be closer to 11.0.  slower than that gets washy from what i've seen.

Edited by CaptainMorgan
17 minutes ago, Brad B said:

Load up the ballast then slowly speed up until the wake face clears - thats your lowest speed. Then adjust as rider prefers

4 minutes ago, CaptainMorgan said:

congrats.  what year?  for my 2019 A24, always 11mph+ (favorite is 11.4), full hard tanks & PnP for adults with Wedge 2 or 3.  If kids riding, i don't bother filling rear PnP's more than 1/2 way.

It’s a 2022. Sorry but what does PNP mean?    Thank you for your help

20 minutes ago, Brad B said:

Thank you 

51 minutes ago, Jrob580 said:

It’s a 2022. Sorry but what does PNP mean?    Thank you for your help

PNP= Plug and Play ballast bags.  

Agreed with CaptainMorgan.  All PNP full, wedge 2-3 right at 11 for you.  The board will make a huge difference also.  I'm 200 lbs and I prefer all PNP, wedge 3, 11.4 mph (but that is me).  If we have a loaded boat with more bow weight then I can hit the wedge up to 4 or 5, and speed up some but you will find out real quick the sweet spot in the wave will wash out quick at the higher wedge positions and it will also feel like you are surfing right off the swim platform.  

I have 2019 A22.  Fill all hard tanks full and PNP rear 550's# and bow PNP 400# full.  10.6mph with wedge at 3 is my perfect setup.  Never faster than 11mph for me.  The biggest learning curve for me was to look and listen for prop cavitation.  Many of my guest who I allow to drive my boat want to increase wedge to 5 or 6 and this causes the angle of the boat to be too steep.  This causes the prop to push the water down rather than backwards. RPM's will increase with no relation to increased speed.  Obviously a good captain will adjust wedge if you have bow full of people.  Hope this helps.