Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

6.5 in speaker replacement

408RealEstate

I have a 2004 Malibu, need to replace four speakers which were the original 6.5 Sony x Plod speakers. The boat has had upgraded amp and sub put in since new so im guessing the boat can handle more than what was there. Looking for the best option. Led would be cool but not a must as im trying to keep install simple. 

This is what is currently installed. 

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-cKWRHvXu8Dy/p_158XSV1640/Sony-XS-V1640H.html

Edited by 408RealEstate
  • 4 weeks later...

I replaced all mine last year with Kicker, they sound great and I used a 6 channel MB Quart amp.  Easy install took a few hours

You get what you pay for.  I love the wetsounds stuff, but feel it's over priced.  You wont' go wrong, but they aren't cheap.  

Creativeaudio.net has some good deals, and some refurb stuff to save you some $$ if you are comfortable with that idea.

Figure out details of your amp model, so you know how much power you are sending ot them.  Match with a speaker with similar RMS wattage requirements.

All the big brands make nice stuff, and personally, with non-paper cones, i don't worry about marine vs. automotive.

Edited by dhcomp

I'm about to do the same for my 2004 Wakesetter. 

Before I tear the dash apart -- any recommendations on how to get the speaker out that is on the drivers dash?