Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf settings

KnotOnCall

Hi, my family just picked up our new LSV23 this weekend… we are new to surfing and looking for guidance. My boys are 9&11 and 65-75lbs… any suggestions on settings to get them surfing? It also seemed like we had trouble getting the throttle right on take off with me pulling them out too slowly and my husband too fast ripping the rope out their hands. Help??? I am about 115lbs/5’2’’ and need settings help with the lift gate, too. My husband is good, as he has been surfing with friends the past 2 years, but no experience driving or pulling a surfer out the water. Any suggestions are much appreciated:)

My daughter was 8 last summer.  She had never done anything besides tube behind the boat.  She had alot of trouble on the surfboard too.  We tried her on a wakeboard and she was able to get up really easy since her feet were strapped to it.  Once she got good at that, we went back to the surfboard and she popped right up. Also, we have the side tow hooks on the tower and that keeps her out in smoother water vs. being right behind the boat at take off.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SoonerLSV said:

My daughter was 8 last summer.  She had never done anything besides tube behind the boat.  She had alot of trouble on the surfboard too.  We tried her on a wakeboard and she was able to get up really easy since her feet were strapped to it.  Once she got good at that, we went back to the surfboard and she popped right up. Also, we have the side tow hooks on the tower and that keeps her out in smoother water vs. being right behind the boat at take off.

This for the little kids.  Also, i would just start them out with all ballast full and no wedge etc.  Just getting them up in the beginning is the challenge.  Once they can get out of the water and get their balance then you can start adding additional ballast, wedge, and speed.  

• 2 weeks later...

The number one thing you need for learning to get up is smooth water. Every boat is a little different in what gives the smoothest water in the area where the surfer is getting pulled up. Some need lots of ballast, to push the wave further behind the surfer, some need no ballast to minimize wave size. 

I like to run with a nose heavy ballast, to push the wave way back from the boat, and give me the biggest area of calm, flat water between the stern and the wave. 

Then, I shorten up the rope so that they are pulled up in the middle of that area. They pretty much have to work to get over into the wave itself. 

You can make it a little easier by tying off to the upper, outer corner of your tower, or using an outside tow hook if you have it. 

You can make it even easier by starting 90 to 120 degrees to the planned line of travel, and pull them up on the inside of your turn, as you accelerate. 

Speed is tricky. Eventually, you will get to the point that you just slam the throttle fully forward art launch, but feathering it is necessary for a bit. Start with tension on the rope, then slowly accelerate to 3 to 4 mph or so, before hammerring it. Tell your rider not to stand up until they feel you speeding up. 

The wake board is a great idea. 

Agree with starting them on a wakeboard first. I made all 3 of my youngest start on a wakeboard and they had to stay up for at least 2 minutes. Makes getting up on a surfboard easy. 

For the kids, do full center tank, 50% bow, 50% surf side rear and 25% off surf side rear. Speed between 10.8 and 11. Wedge probably at 2 or 3 depending on how they feel the wave is pushing.

Let me know how is goes. 

If they are pulling the rope to try to get up they will continue to be frustrated.  Make sure they keep their arms straight and stay seated until the board is on top of the water.  For the driver keep a small amount of tension with the boat in gear and then roll on the throttle gently, don't slam it.  My son can almost be on top of the water at 4 or 5mph and he is 6ft/170lbs.    Your small ones should just pop up at barely walking speed and then just keep adding  speed gently.  Wakeboarding idea is good too, my son wakeboarded at a cable park for a while before he ever got on a surf board.  

For you I would start with ballast half full and a 2 or 3 on the wedge and dial it in from there.  

Also make sure the wakesurf board is not too big or buoyant for them.  They need to be able to flip it up and get it under them.

As many others have said, we taught all our kids to wakeboard first when they were young and did it on the side of the boat using a barefoot boom.  Since they knew how to wakeboard, wakesurf was easy.  When teaching our kids friends (now much older teenager/young adult) or adults new to wakesurfing, one thing I have found helpful is as you pull them up, turn, and continue to turn slightly towards their side, until they are standing to help keep them in the smooth water and out of the rough.  People learning have a tendency to get pulled in right behind the boat which puts them is very rough water and makes things much more difficult.